Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Wow, you live in the middle of the jungle. Is this where Lost is filmed? Nice room, BTW. How are the acoustics? Are the many windows not a problem?

DancingSea likes this.
  2. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation. Listening now via Qobuz (through the Lintons). Wonderful!

Rick58 and AC1 like this.
  3. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I chuckled when I read your comment. Earlier I was going to say the view from those windows doesn't look too dissimilar to the view out of many living rooms on the North Island of New Zealand :laugh:
    Volcanic soil is very fertile ;)

DancingSea, Rick58 and AC1 like this.
  4. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It looks so damn nice. One could sit there all day listening to music!

DancingSea, Toneh and Rick58 like this.
  5. egar

egar Well-Known Member

Really appreciating the setups you're sharing! I'll be doing my in-store demo tomorrow after work, getting more excited after every shared setup.

I'll be listening to the Linton's and KEF LS50 Meta's. Let's see which one I prefer the most, either one should be delivered before the weekend if I make a decision on site.

6. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Did the saw 17 months ago and went home with the Lintons. Lintons big, LS50 Meta small.

7. alanb

alanb Senior Member

There's 2 threads at least on the hardware forum about should i keep my KEF LS50's - seems people like them BUT they don't deliver enough this or that....

Here's one

Deciding whether to keep my KEF LS50 Metas

8. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Someone else posted this but i'll add it in here as lotsa talk about speaker placement.

Basically x is distance between centre of the speakers and and Y is the distance from Left Speaker to Left ear or RS to RE should be X/Y = 83% ish.....

9. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

Yes, Lost was filmed in my yard. Messy folks, left wrappers all over the place.

Haha, I live not far from a rainforest, but what you see out that window are ti plants, the trunk of a royal palm, and a giant mango tree. Our rainy season is just beginning. On the other side of the property, can see the ocean. My “man cave” is the guest cottage (“ohanas” are very common in Hawaii). It’s in a neighborhood filled with lawnmowers and weed whackers - mowing my grass is no small feat. Because of our giant dormant volcano, rainfall amounts vary widely over just a few miles. Two miles further out than me gets literally twice as much rain. 4 miles, and it’s a full on rainforest. I’m in the dry banana belt. My property is lush, but it gets gobs of sun year round. No need for heat or air conditioning, I own neither. Yesterday on my daily walk came home with 2 avocado, 3 guava, and 10 Surinam cherries, all growing on the side of the road!

On the scale of looking out the window and seeing Maui vs audio salon, the view wins. The room is bright, but I’m able to achieve good sound. The windows are open most of the time. The Decware ZRock2 tube EQ has really elevated things.

Pro tip: when evaluating a speaker’s bass ability, be sure and play recordings that have bass ;). That and moving the Linton to their new position closer to room boundaries has revealed plenty of bass. Isaac Chambers “Planet Fruition” (excellent), Thievery Corporation “Treasures From The Temple” and Bob Marley and Wailers Record Plant bootleg showed the Linton have plenty of heft.

We’re fast approaching the point of it being very unlikely the Linton are going back. I’m only 5 hours in, not doing any special break in, I can tell already they’re winners.

Has anyone experimented with placing various forms of isolation or dampening devices between the speaker and stands? That space seems ripe for experimentation.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    ChrisR2060, Toneh, Rick58 and 3 others like this.
  10. John Landreth

John Landreth Well-Known Member

I just ordered a pair to replace the Dentons in my second system. I really like the Dentons for what they are but the room is fairly large so I'll take a chance on the Linton. If they're anything like the Denton it will take quite awhile to break them in. The
    Dentons didn't sound at-all good initially

11. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

If you like them now you'll love them later on after break in. In regards to isolation I'm using Herbie's Square Fat Dots. They are great.

Rick58 and DancingSea like this.
  12. DancingSea

Cool, how did the Herbie’s affect the sound?

Rick58 likes this.
  13. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Stop talking or I pack up my Lintons and move to Maui!

14. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Denton 80 or 85?

15. DancingSea

Don’t come, its awful here. I dread going on a walk in the neighborhood…. Traffic, pickpockets, the whole freakin’ rat race!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IRG, arem, ranch 22b and 8 others like this.
  16. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

It might be hard to make a choice, the KEFs likely do the “sharp image” and maybe the high resolution thing better but to me the Lintons are special, they play the songs well as someone put it. There’s plenty of imaging and detail there too. Plus bass will be much better and some instruments will be more correctly scaled with the Lintons. I didn’t get this with my Triangle Tituses nor even MA Silver 8s. Now I understand what people were talking about WRT “scale”.

Thinking both do well away from walls for best imaging.

I’m using the tiny rubber hemispheres for now but ordered the “Von Schweikert Special” pack from Herbie’s. Thanks to Nielsoe here … :righton: We’ll see. :winkgrin:

Then I have adapters coming for connecting my $$$ speaker cables … more fun expected.

DancingSea likes this.
  17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Well, I originally bought them when I still had my Yamaha NS1000M's and they added clearity to the midrange (especially male voices for some reason). Bear in mind the Yamahas are 30 kg speakers and they were sitting on stands at least as heavy (sand and led filled), but the Herbie's did their thing. When I got the Lintons I just used them right away.

DancingSea and Rick58 like this.
  18. John Landreth

John Landreth Well-Known Member

19. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

Beautiful. My wife and I were married in Maui and heading back again in April. Truly paradise on earth, my favourite place to be. And I have no doubt there are much better places in Hawaii to visit but we know and love Maui.

DancingSea and Rick58 like this.
  20. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

The thing I don’t get about the meta’s is….what’s the point of small speakers if you need to place them 3’ out from the walls? That means they require a medium sized room, no? 3’ out, 8’ to the listener, 3’ behind and you are 250 sqft. Small speakers on tall stands in the middle of the room just look so weird to me.

21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Yes but if you can … the IMAGING and soundstage can be spectacular.

japhi likes this.
  22. DancingSea

:pineapple:
    As we’re fond of saying, “Maui No Ka Oi” - Maui is the best.

Interestingly, Hawaiians prefer getting married in Antwerp…
    :tiphat:

japhi and Rick58 like this.
  23. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

That looks pretty sh*thouse mate... how do you put up with such horrible conditions? :laugh:

24. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Not for the first time... we are agreed.

Working on a scheme to get a dedicated listening space going so I don't have to perch that infernal TV in the middle.
    Balmorhea's "The Wind" on here at the moment on a (kinda) sunny work from home day... not sure if my Linton's are exhibitionists (since they often pose in the nude when the camera's out :winkgrin:) or if I should just do a better job of heeding the directive to keep the grilles in place. They sound fractionally more "explicit" with the grilles off... I can dig it.

No Buddha soundstage/toe-in monitors though :sigh:

[​IMG]

@DancingSea - this comment has not escaped my attention btw :winkgrin:

jcn3, Reesdog, mreeter and 8 others like this.
  25. DancingSea

Looks great! While I removed the TV I’m not convinced it made that much difference other than satisfy that audiophile devil who lives on my shoulder….

mreeter, AC1, woodpigeon and 2 others like this.