Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I think that's is the reason why I sometimes prefer the Technics over the Yamaha 1200/2200. I has big VU meters, looks great in both finishes (black or silver), and it doesn't scream "retro". The only thing I don't like is how cheap the casing looks. The front panel is cool but the rest is no different than a $300 entree-level amp.

[​IMG]

"He who is tired of VU-meters is tired of ..."

DancingSea, Toneh and alanb like this.
  2. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

From The Beatles to Billie Eilish, pop music and compression go hand in hand. Or do you mean brickwall limiting AKA The Loudness Wars? I think most labels are getting away from that malicious 'trend'.

Rick58 likes this.
  3. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Those new mixes sound too different for me. It's like someone tries to change the Mona Lisa.

Rick58 likes this.
  4. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I meant entry-level amp. Entree is French. ;)

Rick58 and alanb like this.
  5. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I really wanted to try that amp at one point. Couldn't quite get it across the line... I was sure it would make a great combo with the Linton's. And I agree that it doesn't scream retro, in this case perhaps it's a combination of the big meters and an intentionally minimalist button layout on the fascia. It's certainly does look more contemporary than a 2200 but that's handily more powerful (comfortably exceeding both it's 8 & 4 Ohms rating) and something that kinda put me off the Technics is that all incoming signals - even sources connected to it's line inputs - undergo analogue to digital conversion and then reconversion to analogue for output... I'm sure it doesn't make a single bit of difference to how it sounds (which is probably great) but that's a lot of double handling of signal.

Yeah... I know that's a thing people say, maybe I'm just not that guy? I don't find them particularly useful or informative. I mean I guess it's cool seeing them bopping side to side... and there are brands for whom it's a signature part of their aesthetic (say McIntosh for instance?) and fair enough too. The less visual clutter on the fascia the happier I am. If the entire global economy doesn't end up in the toilet next year I might look at replacing my cheapo Yamaha CD player (which is laden with buttons and text and that I only use as a transport anyway) with one of these for it's minimalist Scandinavian good looks... shallow I know :sigh: :laugh:

[​IMG]

DancingSea, Rick58 and AC1 like this.
  6. egar

egar Well-Known Member

So did my demo yesterday and left the store with a dent in my savings account.

Sometime next week I'll have the speakers including stands delivered to my door.

Luckily I'm busy 100% until Tuesday next week so my waiting time will feel lighter than it would've done with a completely free weekend.

7. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

WOO HOO !!! Congrats on your good taste! :laugh:

Seriously tho, I did small monitors on stands (ideally nearfield arrangement) plus sub for MANY years, and yes, it’s very nice and all. But there’s just something about these Lintons.

OK now you must fill in your profile page … amp? Cables? Sources? :D

egar, Toneh, DancingSea and 1 other person like this.
  8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

OK, I admit to being bad about updating my profile page. But my signature shows my current listening chain. I’m certainly enjoying my system more these days since the Lintons arrived a couple of weeks ago.

DancingSea and mreeter like this.
  9. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I was looking for a speaker that sounded balanced and that was tonally pleasing. So I went to the hifi shop and auditioned the LS50 Meta and the Lintons (both around the same price). I didn't want to hear a bragging tweeter or recessed mids. I actually liked the LS50 but felt it was a micro monitor more suited for smaller rooms or as desktop speakers. My mind was made up when the shop owner played something with double bass. But even before that I felt that the Lintons were able to render a very realistic sounding classical guitar. All instruments had the right size and weight to them. I'm sure that LS50 Metas with that new KEF subwoofer will sound impressive as well but I've never been a subwoofer guy.

10. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

And thus the Toe Pro Max was launched! Only to significantly underperform due to routine misplacement next to bunion treatments in the foot care aisle…..

I’m starting to have a couple of significant regrets about the Lintons:

1) Not buying them sooner.

2) The hassle of storing all the boxes.

A couple of years ago when I sold off the more revealing system in favor of one that allowed the successful playing of a much wider swath music, the first step was the $650 Magnepan LRS which were ordered on a lark, but won me over. As the new front end (about $12K) made its way in, my calculus was to buy speakers that had price tags which aligned appropriately. Even though the Linton reviews best matched, by far, the sound I was seeking, I passed them over time and time again because of the low price. If it was going to be large British style stand mounts, then it needed to be Harbeth.

I’ve not heard Harbeth, thus in no position to compare them to the Linton. But there is an owner review of the Linton on Music Direct of someone who has owned Harbeth and Wilson, and preferred the Linton. That helped push me out of my snobbery, and the Black Friday deal, well, even snobs like a deal.

These are great speakers. Harbeth may very well be better. Or not. Global economics skew an accurate comparison based on price alone. My hunch is that which is better is more based on personal preference rather than something more fundamental.

I’m not opposed to a break in campaign, but usually only if a product is off-putting out of the gate. Given the Linton impressed at mile 0, I see no need for the hassle. The biggest pleasant surprise has been the large sound. How could these little chunky boxes compete with Magnepan? I’m sure the Decware tube preamp is helping to get images that stretch 5’ feet above the speakers, even when standing. There are still plenty of audiophile fireworks, like a bell that flies out into the room like a dragon returning to its lair. But the main thing is tone. I love bass and am treble shy. No matter the horn, I hear no harshness, and I’m like government-secret-lab-electron-microscope sensitive to harshness.

Last night Tin Pan Alley sealed the deal. Sounded so good. Still love the LRS, and they will be part of the rotation. The Linton are a welcome new member of the family. One bonus is Magnepan substantially limit what sort of amp can be used due to their low sensitivity and need for high current (not necessarily watts). The Linton, perhaps dangerously, have opened the door to all sorts of new amp possibilities. Not that I need a new amp. You know how the conversation goes, “I’m quite happy with what I have, really, who could ask for me - but what harm could come from just an audition, right, just a little harmless entertainment…….”

Color Me Linton.
    :tiphat:

Appreciate all the help, guidance and encouragement from all y’all. Mahalo Plenny!

Vegking, Dafox, Rick58 and 6 others like this.
  11. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Well, congratulations - again - and welcome to the cult... erm, no... family of Linton... erm... ushers, lock the doors now please :winkgrin:

I remain curious - about Harbeth - but I share your view. I have yet to hear them myself - they're so expensive and not so mainstream here in NZ (maybe not anywhere really?) and consequently the few dealers who carry them will normally only keep a pair or two for demo but only typically do indent orders. What I expect may be a more explicit presentation while maintaining the tonal charms of the Linton's... ala Mission 770, only more expensive than that speaker? But that quickly leads me to asking what that's worth to me in dollar and enjoyment terms and the curiosity is quashed... at least momentarily.

My point is - as I recall saying way upthread - when I listen to music on these speakers I'm satisfied - not settling. If I was a noob who didn't know better I might lust more intensely after that elusive "more", but there's a sort of "rightness" to what I hear from the Linton's that when balanced against the positives of a sky high price to performance ratio, their "easy to live with" factor and an ability to reproduce scale (apparently) out of proportion to their relatively modest proportions... well, as you've found firsthand - it's a compelling package. I guess that's the long way of saying that - snob value aside - I'm in no rush to upgrade.

Rick58, DancingSea, AC1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. egar

egar Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I've filled in most of my gear for now. It's maybe budget-fi compared to other systems on the forum. This upgrade with the Linton's is not the last one I'll make, but at least for the near future. Bought my turntable Pro-ject X2 during the summer so it's been quite expensive this year.

13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Super cool dude! That Arcam will drive the Lintons really well, no problem on power anyway.

Funny, I graduated from Triangle Tituses (2002 vintage) which I still dearly love. Drove them with 8W SET amps. I’m giving that system to my daughter. It is quite a different presentation, pinpoint holographic imaging when set up properly (I prefer nearfield with the Tituses).

The Lintons will be possibly slightly more diffuse but give you scale that the small monitors cannot. I’m enjoying them immensely. I have them pretty far from back wall, 52” to front of speaker. They’re semi nearfield … :)

Actually currently I also have MA Silver 8s which I alternately can drive with a Parasound A 21, now hooked up to the Lintons.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    DancingSea and Toneh like this.
  14. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

If you get around to plugging those back in after a spell I'll be incredibly interested to know how you perceive them after getting used to the Linton's. Just out of curiosity... not in a winner/loser sort of a way.

DancingSea and Rick58 like this.
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

OK got my Cardas banana to spade adapters so hooked up my $900/pair “biwired” SR Foundation speaker cables … half copper half silver, replacing 20 year old copper AP Oval 9 cables, which were $400 new on sale when I bought them, the latest version is $1200.

OK, do I hear even higher resolution? Deeper deeps? Lower lows? Higher highs?

I don’t know, but it sounds damn good. Maybe a bit more damn good than before. We’ll see what happens in a few days when I get my Herbie’s dots to put between the speakers and the stands.

Just going to wallow in yacht rock and maybe some female vocals for the evening. Have a good night.

PS: checked screws again and found a loose one, like a full turn or more loose. I think I missed it the other day. A few more got tightened a little, maybe 1/8 turn.

PPS: oh my … I think there is more resolution/clarity and depth. Like Christopher Cross and Michael McDonald are singing … I really don’t know anymore. :D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    Nielsoe, DancingSea and Toneh like this.
  16. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised is there was... in my experience the Linton's have shown themselves capable of scaling up on more than one occasion.

And I do like that description of...
    Sounds pretty damn good to me :righton:

17. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I had to do it like 5 or 6 times before the screws sorta remained tightened . I wonder if I need to check them again now that I have played some Billie bass?

18. DancingSea

December 2, 2022

8 hours of micro adjustments later, have reached 1” toe-in base camp. Hoping weather breaks for summit tomorrow. Footsteps heard in the hall, they’ll be coming for me soon.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Rick58 and Toneh like this.
  19. egar

egar Well-Known Member

That I do believe it'll do. Let's see how the combo sounds as there was a very big difference in presentation between the two amps we tried during the demo.

The first one was a Rega Elicit I belive and the second one was a Naim
    I think so too! There was someone here on the forum and this thread that had the same combo and they were really happy.

During the demo we played many different styles and compared two different amps; Rega Elicit and a Naim (don't remember the model right now). Both amps sounded really nice, but the Refs was way too sharp and offensive. When listening to "Welcome to hell" by Venom and "High Voltage" by AC/DC it was almost unbearable with sharp mids. We shifted to the Naim and it was pure bliss! Maybe slightly muddier sound from the Naim but also much more pleasant and deeper.

Unfortunately the Red Mahogany finish is a bit delayed (they're apparently very popular as the other finishes were available for delivery today).

So the wait will be like the day before Christmas as a kid.

Rick58 and DancingSea like this.
  20. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I'm in the same 1" camp. I can't do a more agressive toe-in because I have to fill a large room. I usually sit at my computer which is 3 meters further then when I sit in the couch. I never experienced this myself but Erin said that when you point the Lintons on-axis the treble is too hot.

DancingSea likes this.
  21. DancingSea

I’ve found that as I increased toe-in bit by bit, the sound got more rich with the treble smoothing. Though I have not, and will not try direct on axis….. safety first!

22. John Landreth

John Landreth Well-Known Member

Mine are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'll park them next to my Dentons while they break- in. At some point i might haul them up to my loft and compare them to my DeVore 3xl's

23. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

not to me but I’m old. I think my hearing is good tho. I’ve always pointed speakers straight at my head (since my 20s), including Tituses nearfield. I have used smoother amplification tho throughout so maybe it’s just good synergy. Of course one might say I burned out my HF cells … Audio Analogue Puccini SE, 300B tube amps, now Parasound A 21. Tube pre at some points in there, now the fabulous McIntosh C2300.

LOL but try it you might like it.

Toneh and DancingSea like this.
  24. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

Welcome to the neighborhood and enjoy your stay whether it be permanent or temporary!

DancingSea likes this.
  25. DancingSea

I’m pretty sure direct on axis listening increases the avalanche risk.

My cat looks so cute in her Sherpa outfit!

Rick58 and Toneh like this.