'What a Fool Believes' & 'Steal Away'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by voicebug, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

You beat me to it. I love this bit. thanks

2. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

When "What A Fool Believes" first showed up on the radio it was a huge hit out of the box and it had a very distinctive sound and rhythm and was quite innovative within the Pop context.
    Cynics may not be able to imagine this, but at the time its sound was not a huge cliché.
    As a musician, it caught my ear as being quite innovative and different than any record I had heard before.

The sound of Michael McDonald's voice resonated with lots of record buyers and the arrangement and especially the rhythmic keyboard pattern inspired a lot of musicians and copycat artists.
    That's why there were hits like He's So Shy and Steal Away.
    You all can hate it now and snipe at it from over-familiarity, but it is a solid piece of Pop that stands the test of time as a great Pop record, whether you like it or not.

It was a huge trendsetter and reset the career of the Doobies and introduced us to the Michael McDonald sound which included several big hit records and an ongoing successful career for him.
    Most Pop artists would kill to make a record that had that kind of impact.

3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It was also almost a joke with Stevie Nicks around the same time - her singing on Loggins' "Whenever I Call You 'Friend'," her omnipresence on John Stewart's "Gold" and "Midnight Wind" - yet you never heard both her and McDonald on the same record by any artist.

The only similarities I could see between the Dupree record and the Doobies' was the tempo and basic arrangement that shouted "El Lay."

JimC likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Doesn't mean they weren't on it. Most of us didn't know Prince played the keyboards on Stevie Nicks' "Stand Back" until she wrote about it.

JimC likes this.
  5. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

This thread came from somewhere back in the board's long ago. We now have two competing "What a Fool Believes" threads. I believe this is what the younger folks refer to as "trending."

BluesOvertookMe, zebop and Grant like this.
  6. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Stevie (and Lindsay) are also on Walter Egan's (brilliant) 1978 hit "Magnet And Steel". And Michael McDonald's not on that one either. Very suspicious.

7. Grant

I was looking at the ridiculous gear in the control booth. That would have not been in place for that recording. yeah, I know, I know...:)

8. Grant

That shows you just how powerful the song was and still is. :thumbsup:

snowman872 likes this.
  9. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I think it's The Doobies' best song, and I usually prefer the pre-McDonald period. I never change the station when I hear this song. I think it's close to being a flawlessly crafted pop song.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

[​IMG]

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!

ARK and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  11. Grant

I'm very serious. All you have to do is look at its history.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you can.

13. Michael

if I had to pick one it would be Steal Away...MM voice is incredibly annoying.

ARK likes this.
  14. Michael

every time I see MM name I think of this spot! absolutely hysterical!

15. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Whats so annoying about MM's voice? Its not to me, so I get fascinated when so many people are expressing mild to severe cases of Butt hurt from it...please eloborate.

George P likes this.
  16. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

No he's not on that one. It's Dupree with the band Crackin'. It's a Chudacoff/Bunetta thing. The production feels like "What a Fool..." but the chords and melodies are totally different.

Ed

17. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Have pondered this matter extensively over the weekend (a "three-pipe problem," as Sherlock Holmes might say), I have concluded the following. If you drew a line between "Love Will Keep Us Together" and "What a Fool Believes," then "Steal Away" would appear somewhere between the two.

18. bek0727

bek0727 Forum Resident

Both are fantastic songs. LOVE that key change in the What a Fool Believes chorus. The bass line is pretty crazy too. Hard to play on piano too.

The band SELF did an amazing version of What a Fool Believes w/ only TOY instruments.

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think it was Gene Simmons, of all people, who was the first person I heard comment on how quickly ubiquitous that sound was. I think he was being interviewed for snapshot opinions on various songs -- a CIRCUS magazine feature, perhaps? -- and presented with either "What A Fool Believes" or one of its soundalikes, he said something to the effect of, "Those Michael McDonald chords are everywhere!"

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    ARK likes this.
  20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

On a board seemingly dedicated to the genius of the Monkees, Olivia Newton-John and the darkest recesses of Paul McCartney's solo oeuvre, some Michael McDonald praise is the problem?

Grant likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Nah. Just having a little fun.

I appreciate Michael McDonald as a vocalist (he's sung background vocals with some bands & artists I like). I do not, however, like his work with The Doobie Brothers much at all. Solo? Forgetaboutit.

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.