What ADC Do You Use to Digitize LP's? (Survey)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ron Scubadiver, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

E-MU 0404/USB

2. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

One of the best vinyl rips I've ever heard was made with this Sony player (Francoise Hardy - La Question FWIW). I'm still very tempted to buy one just to see how it compares to my Tascam DA3000.

kinkling likes this.
  3. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Let us know if you do.

The M10 is the only one I've used but have been pleased with the results.A palpable sense of the vinyl.

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

Zoom H1

5. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Asus Xonar U7 24/192 capable Vinyl Studio software Thinking of upgrading to a better ADAC.

6. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Korg MR-1000 DSD/PCM recorder run on battery power during record.

7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

+1
    I love mine and use it all the time.

8. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I could kick myself. I just bought a Tascam SS-R200 to do some vinyl rips, and in fact it arrives today. I wrote off the DA3000 as too expensive.

BUT - I have a Sony PCM M10 sitting in my bass case that I generally use to record my band rehearsals. It NEVER occurred to me that I could just connect it to the output of my phono stage and just record my records!

Duh.... If I'd seen this post two days ago, I would have saved myself some dough. Ah well, gadgets are good...

Edit: I just happened to look at the Sony M10 recorders on Amazon and wow, these things go for crazy money. I got mine for like $270 in 2010 and now they sell for $700 and above. I guess it's better than I thought, lol.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    McLover and PhilBiker like this.
  9. Spin Doctor

So I have a question about recording...

Do I need to record at a high level like 24-bit/96kHz or whatever, just to make files to play in my truck? I want good sound quality, but am unsure of what the settings need to be. I will be recording wav files and then burning them to a CD and/or converting them to mp3 for use on a thumb-drive in my truck.

10. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I would venture a guess that recording in standard redbook (16/44.1) would be fine for "truck" listening.

11. Spin Doctor

Same settings for the CD too right?

So what do the higher levels get you? Is it THAT much better?

12. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

The DA-3000 comes up for sale as a refurb quite often. I paid $630 for mine about 10 months ago and it looked brand new/unused.

13. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

That depends on your system and your ears. Some say yes, others no. I've found that a decent DAC can make a big difference in differentiating the two.

14. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

+1 Love this unit. Awesome versatile phono preamp and ADC baked in with PCM 24/196 and DSD 128. Can also function as line in ADC.

15. Spin Doctor

I got my SS R200 used for $445 from Pro Audio star. It generally lists for $600. But The first thing I'm gonna try tonight is using my Sony recorder. If it sounds as good as my old needle drops, then I'm just gonna send the Tascam back.

The only reason I even bought the recorder is that since switching to windows 10, my Adobe Audition which I used in the past to do needle drops acts up and doesn't record very well. My version is really old and I'm not buying a new one. The editing/ de-clicking module works fine though.

16. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I record at 24/96 wav to play in my truck.Why not?I use my pono now but used to use the m10.
    Record at the highest rate as your keeper and convert later if you have to.
    I've used JRiver to convert wav files to flac for my phone.

17. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are any of the Scarlet 2i2 owners using this unit as a DAC for playback?

superstar19 likes this.
  18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Likewise, if and when mine gives up the ghost I'll have to get myself a DA3000 or whatever Tascam's replacement will be, it's a shame Korg gave up on the DSD recorder front.

19. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

This guy, through the balanced inputs with a cable that is unbalanced on the other side. I used to use an M-Audio graphics card with a breakout box, but my main computer is too far away from the stereo now.

There is a mkIII version now, this one can be found at a decent price and sounds quite good to my ears.
    [​IMG]

20. Spin Doctor

I'm wondering if there is possibly that much difference between any digital recording method/gadget past a basic price point.

If the Sony M10 sounds as good as the above poster said and all the others sound great too, what difference does it make, whether you use a $200 hand held unit or a $1000 rack mounted unit?

21. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I haven't tried it with mine but that's just because in my current setup and room layout, I would need a set of adapters to go from RCA male to 1/4" male. But I would be curious as to this unit's performance as a DAC also.

22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

At work, an ancient Sadie DAW. At home, an M Audio "Audiophile" 24/96 card in a PC.

23. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Depends entirely on the ADC inside...the $1000 one may have more inputs and options, etc. For example, the handhelds usually max out at 24/96

Solace likes this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Looks like a good option Leigh. I've since added my player back in the big system. Any issues with overloading the audio input?

McLover likes this.
  25. DJtheAudiophile

DJtheAudiophile Active Member

Any tutorials on how to properly digitize vinyl with Focusrite Scarlet 2i2?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.