What album did you play once and never listen to again?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dylancat, Jan 13, 2022.

1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

You need that just for Jailbait, and that’s not because it’s a good song, so much as it’s evidence.

Seriously, though, while Ted’s always been a jackhole, that really seems to be his jump the shark album.

2. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

There have been a few although I usually try to give most albums a 2nd chance. Some that spring to mind are Boston's 2nd album, Essence by Lucinda Williams, the two Kiss albums someone loaned to me. I am a huge Neil Young can but Deadman didn't get a repeat.

3. Eiszeit

Eiszeit Forum Resident

There are likely others but the one that springs immediately to mind is Lazer Guided Melodies by Spiritualized.

I have the 2x12" 45 rpm double vinyl album, just looked at Discogs and saw the prices asked for it, perhaps I should sell it.

4. apb

apb Game on!

MMM is great accompaniment for house work. It blends in well with the sound of the vacuum cleaner.

Mr-Beagle and mando_dan like this.
  5. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Under the Red Sky - Bob Dylan
    [​IMG]
    I'd like that 40 minutes of my life back, thank you Bob.

wrappedinsky, GowG, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  6. Recordfan

Recordfan Misfit Among Misfits

Eagles- (Too) Long Road Out Of Eden
    She & Him- A Very She & Him Christmas

Fullbug likes this.
  7. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Billy Idol-Cyberpunk

8. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

John Coltrane-A Love Supreme Live in Seattle. I normally give any album at least a couple of chances to move me, but this turkey was off the turntable forever halfway through side 2. Terrible recording, terrible performance that brought nothing new or worthwhile to Coltrane's legacy. Just another cash grab by a greedy record label and/or the artist's money grubbing heirs.

9. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

Yeah. This one bummed me out. They had a nice look and gorgeous album art, but that's it.

10. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

"The Best Cover Versions of John Cage's 4:33" Various artists. It was a bit too quiet for my taste.

11. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

The advantages of a digital (non-physical) library: I just took John's tracks from both Double Fantasy and Milk & Honey, added the "stripped" tracks from Double Fantasy and kinda created a new ... Single Fantasy. ;)

Mr-Beagle, WhatDoIKnow and Recordfan like this.
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Oh, please keep trying. I did not enjoy it to start with but it's a great album. Just one you need to live with

13. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

didn"t the name of the band was fusion with a car on the cover!!! i had this record!!

14. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Neil Young - Arc. Relentless, unlistenable rubbish.

GowG, carlwm, Mr-Beagle and 4 others like this.
  15. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

Faith No More - Sol Invictus

Just doesn't pack the punch of their previous albums, and besides "Superhero" there wasn't really anything I needed to hear again.

dunkoid likes this.
  16. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I've mentioned it before but I have no problems with Metal Machine Music or Trout Mask Replica.

Put on a Housemartins record and I'll have a sudden urge to play frisbee though...

17. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

I think this is viewed as more of a historical or museum-piece type of release (and I agree with you on the cash grab assertion). I think the placement of the mic's is what made the recording so poor. But hey, for the DR Number Fetishists out there: Interludes 3 & 4 (bass solos) are both a 20! :eek: (as Wayne and Garth would say: "Schwing!") :laugh:

Maltman likes this.
  18. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Ditto. No point in keeping anything that I am never going to play again. As a collector of vinyl, I need all of the space that I can get!

19. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Three came to mind, because they are by artists I love, and all are Christmas albums. Peter Paul & Mary's A Holiday Celebration; Carole King's A Christmas Carole; and Aretha Franklin's This Christmas. The Aretha album I knew right from the start was going to be trouble when I read the liner notes in the car after I bought it. I usually will give an album several spins to make certain I have given it a chance. But these 3 I was just not inclined to play again ever. It was such a strong reaction to them that I finally removed them from my collection of Christmas cds to make room for others.

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm not sure I have ever only given an album one shot.....

If I did, it would have been possibly
    Tori Amos - Strange Little Girls
    Quarterflash .... first album, awful, dull.

I'm not a fan of Metal Machine Music, but it has been given a chance ....

Trout Mask Replica is an interesting one, because I would put it on for folks that came over to partake of the magic 'erb, purely for the reaction of the unfamiliar .... but I ended up starting to really like it.
    I haven't partaken of the 'erb for years, but I still enjoy Trout when I put it on. In fact Frownland is among my favourite Beefheart tracks.

steviebee, Amnion, Adam9 and 3 others like this.
  21. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Mick Jagger's Goddess in the Doorway or dog**** on the doorstep as Keef called it.

22. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Preposterous!!!

mw1917 likes this.
  23. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

I really hope it was a reissue! Originals of their records are stupid expensive.

24. JKCanuck

JKCanuck Forum Resident

REM: Up
    It had nothing I wanted to hear again.
    Gave it to a co-worker.

25. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

Oh The first time I did that it was an early Joan Baez album...Folksingers 'round Harvard Square (but I had the cheap reissue, "The best of Joan Baez").

I listened to it once and not even the whole album because I was bored out of my mind. Sold it a few months later for literal pennies, as part of a lot. Took store credit because they'd give me more money that way and bought Nick Cave's "No More Shall we part".

Callahan, ChoonyFish and Recordfan like this.