What are some artists/bands that are generally disliked by 'serious' music fans, but you like?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lettheflamesbegin, Mar 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Yes…though I was never a fan, so many were and are…About your Ramones post..I thought they’d always been considered cool.

2. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Kid Creole

carlwm likes this.
  3. toddfan

toddfan Forum Resident

I, in general, am not a fan of country music artists...but I really, really like SHeDAISY. They have great harmonies and interesting songs with good lyrics and super production on their first few cd's...plus, they are really nice people (I've met them...they are one of three artists that I set out to meet, the others being Lloyd Cole and Todd Rundgren...lol). Their cd - Knock On The Sky - is right up there with Sgt. Pepper and Pet Sounds in my house as far as "concept" albums go.

We don't have one of those agreements in our house where you get to list 5 or so "stars" that you'd get a pass with if the occasion would ever miraculously appear...but, if we did, Kristyn Osborn (the one in the middle) would be at the top of mine. :oops: :uhhuh:

[​IMG]

carlwm likes this.
  4. 51IS

51IS Forum Resident

I played the heck out of C&C music factory back in the day. Did I brag about it? No. On the other hand I made no attempt to hide my great affection for Technotronic and 808 State. Is there any difference? I don’t know but back then I must have thought there was.

5. 51IS

51IS Forum Resident

Maybe the self-consciously hip? Or the genuinely hip? I would never denigrate anyone’s taste where they would ever know about it, but back in the day when I paid attention to that stuff I knew who I considered to have hip taste and who thought that they did.

6. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

Interesting reading this thread and it certainly cements my thoughts. I find most ‘serious’ music fans can be, well, a little snobby can’t they? I like early Queen, early Dire Straits but for some its not ‘serious’ music and is scoffed.
    People forget music has many many styles and no-one should be saying this or that isn’t ’serious’ music. How many fans does Brittney, Spice Girls, Adele etc etc have? A hellava lot that’s for sure. Music is music whatever why individually like and what some people think is utter trash brings millions of people pleasure, and that’s what it’s all about.
    Ok rant over, I’ve had far to much wine & I’ll get my coat!

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  7. 51IS

51IS Forum Resident

This makes sense. I used to have the Dukes of Hazard Theme and The Goodies theme in my playlist. I’ve sung The Jeffersons theme at a Karaoke bar. Although I’ve heard them way too many times to try to seek them out I do enjoy the Gilligan Theme and the Love Boat. Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Green Acres. Beverly Hillbillies. The A Team. Chips.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  8. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident

Justin Timberlake. Love the guy's music and his live show -- I kid you not -- one was of the best concerts I've ever attended.

51IS likes this.
  9. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

Not a Parrothead, but I loved "Come Monday", an excellent single.
    As for L&M (not the tobacco company), in Jr. High school I used to confuse them with Seals & Crofts for some reason :shrug:
    My favorite single by them? Easily it's "Thinking of You". What a great, catchy song that was. IMO should've been a bigger hit (stopped out at #18 in '73) than "Your Mama Don't Dance" which reached #4.

lucan_g likes this.
  10. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

ABBA
    KISS
    U2
    Journey
    (post 1977) Genesis

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NOT REALLY...yes by the real genuine fans...AND to many he's just a cry in your beer singer...

13. Michael

ah ha...been a Hank fan for many, many years...I even was a member of the Hank Williams Fan Club...still have all my newsletters...; ) Got Jerry Rivers book "Autographed" ...

joy stinson likes this.
  14. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I'm not going to hijack this thread and make it another Beatles takeover, but I totally disagree with you that Venus & Mars is merely pastiche of 70's pop/rock. In fact, I don't think you could be more wrong. Name another 70's album that sounds like it. "You Gave Me The Answer" sounds like a 70's song to you? You're off by about 40 years. A song about comic books characters? Not exactly what anyone thinks of when they think of 70's songs. I could go on, but if you want a McCartney album with breadth, that's the model. Every song is different.

I bring up Graceland because Paul Simon is a contemporary of McCartney's (Simon is actually older) whose career was in a similar place before Graceland. No one expected that he was still capable of a blockbuster classic of an album. McCartney hasn't produced one since the 70's.

Invisible Man likes this.
  15. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I think he's almost universally considered one of the fathers of rock n roll.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

And I am one of those that is just the opposite on bands like that. REO, Journey, ELO, Asia, Toto, Styx, Kansas etc. They are just not to my taste. That certainly doesn't make me right and you and others who like those bands wrong but a simple difference in taste and opinion. I did see REO and Kansas back in the day as part of several triple header concerts in the mid-70's that also included James Gang, Kiss, ZZ Top and others.

carlwm likes this.
  17. PeanutButterParty

PeanutButterParty Forum Resident

Cheap Trick

18. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Sha Na Na.

Dave112 likes this.
  19. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Donnie Iris

CoachD and carlwm like this.
  20. Michael

in today's society? uh huh...you got that one right...there just slamming the doors down to buy them some Hank...I know he's great... been a fan for so many years...and most the forum loves him as well...but step outside and the shock may slap you down hard...their ain't no twerkin' Hank...

carlwm likes this.
  21. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

STYX!!!!!

MikeInFla, CoachD and carlwm like this.
  22. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Just because he's not flying off the shelves or getting big streaming numbers doesn't mean he isn't taken seriously. Being a formative artist in the history of both rock and country will always keep you in high esteem, even if the average 13 year doesn't know you.

Invisible Man and joy stinson like this.
  23. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Well some here and other places have claimed that you gave me the answer is another Tin Pan Alley type pastiche song like honey pie, so there’s a sixties precedent, but then some folks on SHF think call me back again is a redo of oh darling they call a pastiche as are two different genres ….I don’t agree . Don’t get me wrong, I love V&M album but love some of his later albums , even later than the seventies, I love as well or more. V& M great songs were basically the backbone of the great seventies wing concert I saw in 76 and he wasn’t playing many early wings stuff like he did on the WOE tours, so did mainly songs from V&M and SOS were the tour songs and they translated well live. There’s also some glam pop rock like rock show in V&M though some on SHF disagree with that even.

However, I won’t belabor the point or respond anymore so as to stick to the original premise and intention of the thread and not derail it …which is not to criticize or analyze an artist output. If someone likes McCartney solo or likes any artist that’s their tastes and preferences.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Peter Frampton
    His early work is great and later as well

Such a nice humble man

25. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

Peter Frampton is and was an incredible musician, unusual in that he shows jazz influence much more than the blues influence of his peer group of British guitarists. I have maybe 5 or 6 of his LPs from the 1970s and they are all at least good, some really good, and at least one is great. If anything, I think he was the victim of an unfair backlash against seeming omnipresent and being a "pretty boy" (as if that negated his musical skill), plus the poor decision of allowing himself to be pushed into a rushed follow-up after Frampton Comes Alive!, as well as making a movie he probably shouldn't have*, both of which would have taken a miracle not to be kicked around at the time. And he is a really together, humble, polite, affable man from everything I've seen.

* But it is actually quite a fun movie if you're just there for the music and silliness and not expecting RADA-level acting and David Mamet dialogue.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    audiotom and joy stinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.