What are some artists/bands that are generally disliked by 'serious' music fans, but you like?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lettheflamesbegin, Mar 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentient(Jæ)Ant

Sentient(Jæ)Ant Well-Known Member

Well, I listen to everything, and Oasis's "Be Here Now" is in my top 10 albums ever.

carlwm and joy stinson like this.
  2. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The Carpenters

Penny24, Tod41, imthetxman and 2 others like this.
  3. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I think probably idea that “unhip artists” gradually faded more from music, as it was an idea more especially pushed by some boomers and boomer rock critics. As music changed and ideas about it did, so did general public tolerance of all styles of music. However, still there’s some rock loving folks dislike of hip hop, rap, nu metal, EDM and more contemporary female singers, etc.

4. joy stinson

Gotta say, love your avatar pic…

Sentient(Jæ)Ant likes this.
  5. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

I think the Monkees bias is laughable and wrong. They were the scapegoats when all of a sudden everyone had to be “real”. The Byrds were not less produced and managed than The Monkees. They just had Dylan giving them songs vs. Neil Diamond and Carole King Brill Building types. Stills tried out for the group. Anyway, no one should be ashamed of being a fan of the Monkees

6. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

Just wait till you buy an 11th album. :unhunh:

(Just kidding: I've never even heard it and have no opinion at all.)

Sentient(Jæ)Ant likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

funny, in reverse I cannot stand a talent-less band that others think are...
    but it never really mattered who liked who or who disliked who...I didn't need an approval for my musical enjoyment.

carlwm likes this.
  8. joy stinson

Your comment is very correct…but in that era especially, there was huge emphasis separating pop and serious music…We still see those disagreements on SHF in threads, even about Beatles songs especially, with some claiming that angst or rock songs or songs with weightier lyrics are vastly superior to pop or ballad efforts and those creating pop from older genres. The Monkees partly suffered from being a tv band and in their early days, created to replace the early Beatles, having other musicians playing instruments but they fought hard to get the right to play their own instruments. I must also add that the Monkees did very good experimental type of novelty songs, recorded in other styles like going down, what am I doing hanging round, etc, and an extraordinary psychedelica song, the porpoise song. Let it be added that in 67, the Monkees outsold the Beatles.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

really? I never knew that...to me they were a TV SHOW & a Top 40 AM Radio band ...I always felt they were fake...not a legitimate band like the Beatles who worked their way to the top and were pretty much pure music...unlike the Monkees which were hired hands...actors on a TV SHOW that released songs on the radio in Parallel universe...it was all weird back then! I did watch the TV show and buy their records...it just felt out of place...

fortherecord likes this.
  10. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Eddie Money

Greenalishi, carlwm and Tod41 like this.
  11. miinsane

miinsane Forum Resident

Warrant

gitters and carlwm like this.
  12. Tod41

Tod41 Forum Resident

The Association. They were great live too, just listen to the performance on the Monterey Pop Festival.

13. zen

zen Senior Member

Greenalishi, bzfgt and fortherecord like this.
  14. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Lol, I share your sentiments!

15. Vintagetuber

Vintagetuber Well-Known Member

Judas Priest, Megadeath, Slayer, Kiss, Metallica, None of those are “Audiophile Quality” bands, but I like them.
    I would include Iron Maiden in this , but they should be an audiophile choice, because they are the best metal band ever…..

Greenalishi likes this.
  16. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

17. joy stinson

Mani never knew this..he came to my college in the seventies and I loved him.

carlwm likes this.
  18. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Serious music fans don’t hate The Eagles. Serious music fans know enough to hate Eagles.

djoseph56 likes this.
  19. The Cramps
    Meat Loaf
    The Jazz Butcher
    The Ramones
    Nine Inch Nails
    Goldfinger
    Robyn Hitchcock
    The Dwarves

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. joy stinson

I think I’ve been remiss to have forgotten wings, a band very popular then especially in the US but seen as uncool by serious music fans and the press then and now, especially on this forum I’ve noticed.

21. joy stinson

I just don’t remember this then about the eagles but I probably wasn’t a serious music fan when liked and saw the eagles in the seventies, very glad to see them double billing with Yes in 75.

carlwm likes this.
  22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Brownsville Station, not so much disliked as totally discounted.

joy stinson likes this.
  23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

You didn’t see The Eagles. You saw Eagles. That’s what I was getting at. A serious music fan wouldn’t call them “The Eagles”. If they’re really “serious” that is. They’d have total OCD about getting the name right.

joy stinson likes this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The Eagles are in the top 2% of all bands who've ever recorded, quality-wise! :righton:

EDIT: Just seen you explanation. Personally, though, I'm as happy to the "the" in front of The Eagles as I am, in front of, The Pink Floyd, The Status Quo and The Yes. :D

AveryKG and joy stinson like this.
  25. joy stinson

Oh, I see..I didn’t even know that in the seventies..lol.

carlwm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.