What are some of your favorite YouTube travel channels?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Houseplants, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I watched this one last night. Feels to me like he's trying too hard to be Mr. Bald, maybe he came first I don't know. I'll watch a few more, but I like Bald's inclusion of historical information and I haven't seen any here.

Houseplants likes this.
  2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Most of the other channels I watch feature backcountry travel and you rarely see other people. Robert visiting tourist spots may take some getting used to. I liked that he puts the highway he's driving on the screen, that's helpful.

3. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident Thread Starter

Really looks similar. I agree.

4. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident Thread Starter

he goes to a Inca place with a bunch of real skeletons

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I liked that one. I think I'm getting used to his schtick. I also saw on his Instagram account that his Father was a World traveler and he's following in his footsteps.

6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I stumbled across a few channels recently that are just walking around Tokyo at night without commentary. Granted I think most the guys are mostly scoping out women, but it really gives you a good idea what nightlife is like in the various city neighborhoods. When I was in Tokyo we did a lot of wandering and this really captures the vibe.

BSU and Houseplants like this.
  7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I started watching this channel. They do international overland travel. My only complaint so far is that the music they use is loud and annoying. I keep turning it down to avoid it and turning it back up to hear them talk.

Houseplants likes this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Almost embarrassed to admit, but I like Rick Steves. Mostly for his philosophy of traveling light which I incorporate into my North America travels. Shoulda done Europe as a kid because now, I'm no longer interested (too many people and tourists, too much time on planes and trains) so that's one reason I like his videos, it's window shopping for the lazy AKA arm chair travel.

Morpheus, Houseplants and Jeff Kent like this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I had avoided this channel because I'm not a 'boat/sailing' person, but it's really cool. They island hop all over the Caribbean. Anchoring offshore and taking their dinghy to secluded beaches. Right now they're driving cross country with a camper while their new boat is being built. I'm actually learning a lot about sailing...though I still have no interest in doing it.

10. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Great thread! I'll try to post something later. Have to search "My History"

11. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Yeah, I like Rick Steves too. He used to be on PBS all the time, and now has a podcast as well. I like a young man over at YT called the ActionKid. He does a lot of walking around NYC and other places.

12. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I've been watching a lot of Robert Blake's channel lately...

13. townsend

townsend Senior Member

There is a woman who lives on Svalbard . . . uh, that is an archipelago (series of island) belonging to Norway, but so far north that it is about midway between Norway and the North Pole: Svalbard - Wikipedia

Not so much a travel channel as here is what it is like to live on Svalbard: https://www.youtube.com/c/CeciliaBlomdahl/videos

She and her boyfriend have a wonderful dog and actually find it "fun" to travel to a remote cabin that can only be reached by snowmobile.:eek: IIRC, they are careful to check the ice/snow out before traveling by snowmobile.

Just incredible polar landscapes shot from a drone.

Edit: I just watched her "cost of living" video. She and her boyfriend spend about 8000 kroners a month just on food. At the current exchange rate, that is 923.00 USD. Seems like a lot, but they can afford such expenses with their jobs.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

so sad...this should not be...but most def people should see this.

15. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I saw my neighborhood :(

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow...

17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I am really fascinated by Alluring Arctic Sailing. It chronicles both the challenges of maintaining (and refitting) sailboats, along with the arctic adventures of a Finnish couple. There are plenty of sailing channels, but IIRC, most of them are concentrated on sailing in balmier weather. The videos are top-notch (including drone footage), and I really enjoy the narration. If you like it, please (at least) subscribe (a free way to support the channel).

18. bedolaga

bedolaga Active Member

I really like this budding YouTube channel called New Adventure. I really liked his video about traveling in Tennessee. I especially liked the part about resorts in Tennessee. It was very interesting and entertaining. To be honest, I myself now think and monitor interesting tours in this state. I really want to visit this wonderful place. I enjoy watching a lot of travel videos, but it is this channel that I watch with great pleasure.