What are the best seasons of Star Trek The Next Generation ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sgtmono, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Finished S1 one yesterday. Just started S2. I've seen maybe a third of S1 and S2 before but I never watched it in order before

So...

What a difference in picture quality. First episode of S2 is a bit more grainy/noisy than it should be. Also lacks in detail/focus and the lighting and colors are not up to the first season either. And the makeup looks really bad, especially for Troi. Not flattering at all for her. I thought she looked great in S1 and in the last couple of seasons when she finally got a uniform instead of that ugly dress she wore.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The cinematography took a noticeable dump in the second season, and really from that point onwards. Cost cutting? The lighting is a lot flatter, too.

3. budwhite

Yes, I remember S3 not looking great either.
    Also more close ups I think. Not a good thing in 1080p and seen on 114" if the production is not up to snuff...

Anyway, looking forward to better episodes in S2. I remember liking the holodeck Sherlock episode and Measure of a man a lot

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

When CBS was doing the upgrade to high-def, they were swamped with work and farmed out the second season to another outfit. I forget the name. But the results were slammed by many fans. As I recall, it was the even-numbered seasons, at least early on, that suffered from this pattern, while the odd numbered ones were done be CBS.

JPagan, budwhite and sunspot42 like this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yup, the style of shooting definitely changed to feature more closeups and more bright, flat lighting.

I remember reading something about this as well. My guess is CBS used better anti-grain processing and other tricks to improve the image quality. They might have also done better color, brightness and contrast adjustments.

budwhite likes this.
  6. budwhite

Thanks for the info lads. That explains things.

7. budwhite

I'm finally up to S3. Man, what a difference in everything, the effects, the intro, the uniforms, camera angles. Looks bigger and grander.

I also remember from watching the series on netflix before that the soundmix was pretty damn goodfor the later seasons.
    And now I'm watching the blu-ray's with dts hdma 7.1. Should be great.

I have to say that S2 was pretty good. Glad I watched it from the beginning. Patrick Stewart and Frakes had pretty much found their characters and Worf and Data are much better than the season before. Worf is fun.

Am I the only one who likes Troi's mother? Majel is a tour de force. She's fun.
    Pulaski is hit and miss but so is Dr Crusher

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    JPagan, sunspot42 and Hadean75 like this.
  8. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Nope. I loved her in character in TNG too. :righton:

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Pulaski could have been great. They sort of ruined the character by making her ridiculously irascible. But she did give Picard a badly-needed foil, which the show lacked in its remaining seasons, save the occasional guest star who called him out from time to time (and Guinan).

budwhite and Hadean75 like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're forgetting Q would sometimes do so as well. Data also did from time to time.

Pulaski was a bore. The actress also didn't bond with the rest of the cast.

budwhite likes this.
  11. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Well, I learned a new word today....irascible. :tiphat: I wouldn't have minded if Dr. Pulaski had stayed for the duration. Or, if she came back a few times....

budwhite likes this.
  12. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Dr. Pulaski was an important character in her brief stint. She helped the Data character get fully baked. Ship In A Bottle is one of the series best episodes.

sunspot42 and budwhite like this.
  13. budwhite

Really good start to S3. Who watchers the watchers is one of my favorite episodes. Orville did their own version but took it much further.

sunspot42 and Hadean75 like this.
  14. budwhite

The Survivors is another really good episode.

sunspot42 and Hadean75 like this.
  15. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Big concept stuff.

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. Hadean75

That's one of my favorite TNG episodes. :righton:

17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I liked her overall, though I do think she started to get overused, especially when she began appearing on DS9. Actually, that's probably true of all the STNG guest (not main) stars who also guested on DS9. Q was out of place there, and Varsh even more so, and pairing them together was pure fanwank.

But 'Dark Page' was a good episode for Barrett, although once they decided to take a humourous character and go the exact opposite direction with her, they took the most obvious route.

Hadean75 likes this.
  18. budwhite

Allegiance and Captain's Holiday is joy to watch for many things, but the biggest take away for me is Patrick Stewart's acting.
    Best captain and best actor in the Star Trek universe.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  19. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Best actor...yes.

Best Captain...no.

The eternal debate rages on. :D

budwhite likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Not for me. Kirk is laughable, Sisko is a sourpuss, Janeway is a nasal nightmare, etc.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  21. Hadean75

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Luke The Drifter likes this.
  22. I’m watching the show again and marvel at how,good some of the make up is but the old age make up is, largely, pretty bad.

MikeInFla and sunspot42 like this.
  23. I liked Pulaski better than Crusher. Her treatment of Data was interesting and far more credible than everyone treating Pinocchio like he was a real boy. Best actor on the series IMO was Brent Spiner.

Rachael Bee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.