What are the worst rock and roll movies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jimtek, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

rnr high school is a good silly cheapo from allan arkush, who later did 'get crazy' (one of my favorite rock movies the luckily hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread! probably cause most people have forgotten it :sigh:)
    definitely not one of the worst...
    hair is well done with great music. godspell is a little silly but a great soundtrack,
    I can believe I haven't seen Phantom of the Paradise....I guess now I have to

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The problem for me with Phantom is that Winslow is a very unlikable character and the part was miscast. I've rewatched it over the years and my opinion has never changed.

3. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Again I could be wrong. Granted you want to promote it and for it to succeed. I personally don’t hate the film. It’s just cheesy fun.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I believe the one we did was the 40th anniversary, but I'm not certain. Note that co-star Jessica Harper is/was married to the VP of 20th Century-Fox, which is one reason why the restoration was done.

Steve Litos likes this.
  6. Aside from the Shout (or Scream Factory I guess), there is also one that Arrow put out probably the same transfer and all.

7. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I dont like to prejudge.......but that cant possibly be good

9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Whether you like it or not - Phantom- is a classic.

geekzapoppin likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I got thinking about the (paraphrased) JLL quote: Thinking back on it, he may have actually said that on "Entertainment Tonight", not "West 57th Street"... Just wanted to correct myself...

11. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Well, I looked it up on imdb, and the user reviews are either 10/10 Cory is wonnerful or 1/10 why?

A couple (i.e. two) are "It's OK" but their OKing hasn't inspired me to seek it out.

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I have no real opinion of the "Pepper's" movie. I saw it in 1978 and enjoyed it, but I was 11 - you enjoy everything at that age! :D

Should see it again one of these days!

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Since he's become such a self-promoting d-bag, it's tough to remember, but Corey Feldman was actually a pretty good child actor.

That was 30 years ago! Since then he's been insufferable. Even during the 2001 audio commentary for "Goonies", it was clear none of his co-stars could stand him! :laugh:

15. geekzapoppin

geekzapoppin Forum Resident

It's one of those films that crosses the line over to "sublimely terrible" for me. They spent so much money on it and used every bit of it to make one of the most tone-deaf, wrongheaded; laughably-acted, scripted, and directed films ever. I love it. The fact that Allan Carr made a fortune on Grease and then parlayed it into producing Can't Stop the Music has to be one of the largest mistakes in film history.

Fun fact: Baskin Robbins had a marketing tie-in with the film that featured the flavor, "Can't Stop the Nuts!" I can't think of a more appropriate name for an ice cream flavor tied to the Village People movie.

Tim 2, jupiter8 and Oatsdad like this.
  16. geekzapoppin

geekzapoppin Forum Resident

Confession: I own a copy of this poster.

17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Little known fact about Gerritt Graham, he was a rock critic before getting into films, mostly for CREEM magazine.

kevywevy and P(orF) like this.
  18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

MGSeveral wrote the following concerning Rock 'n' Roll High School Forever:

I saw it once and I barely remember it because there wasn't much to it. Despite the name, it didn't seem to have much of a connection to Rock 'n' Roll High School (much like Iron Monkey [great movie] and Iron Monkey 2).

19. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I still appreciate that someone had the gall to make a Village People movie AFTER disco had died.... and not actually featuring their hits (save a remake of "YMCA" where they stare at naked guys in a locker room). XD

20. Oatsdad

Man, I thought you might've exaggerated the last comment... but not really! :eek:

Tim 2 and ralphb like this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

A train wreck, but still a guilty pleasure. :hide:

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The soft drink Dr Pepper had a promotion with the Sergeant Pepper's movie - "Drink Dr Pepper! See Sergeant Pepper's!"

geekzapoppin likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

He was great in Used Cars.

It's a red chariot to carry my soul straight to hell!

carrick doone and ralphb like this.
  24. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Probably splitting hairs here, but if it was released in 1980 then it was probably filmed in 1979, when disco was still somewhat popular. But by the time it came out, you're right.

thxphotog likes this.
  25. My advice is to wear a blindfold and earplugs and have someone tell you to remove the earplugs for the two or three songs where the Bee Gees harmonies work nicely on Beatles songs. Otherwise silent and invisible is the best possible presentation of this movie. Ok maybe Aerosmith are okay. This movie was on TV a few weeks ago (I saw it once when I was young and stupid) and I couldn't make it past the 20 minute mark.

carrick doone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.