What are your favorite Gordon Lightfoot albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 3Dman, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Not sure it was because of request. (maybe Gord did decide what song to pull, but it wasn't because he didn't want it on the cd). Early cd's were usually limited to 74-75 minutes of run time...even though they could hold 80. The length of Gord's Gold minus Affair on 8th Avenue is 73:43.

That being said....after the initial cd release it should have been added. Agree it's a great song.

carlwm and 3Dman like this.
  2. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Tonight was Lightfoot! night.

As with most of the UA songs...I'd probably pick and choose from the 5 that were released. My faves here are Rich Man's Spiritual...The Way I Feel (probably my favorite), Steel Rail Blues, Sixteen Miles, I'm Not Saying, and Ribbon of Darkness. Sort of wish Red Shea was around for this album as a few of the songs I feel could have benefited with him around. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is one where Gord's great vocal isn't matched by the playing...sounds generic to me.

Singles released
    I'm Not Saying/For Lovin' Me
    Ribbon of Darkness/Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
    For Lovin' Me/Spin Spin

The bassist was Bill Lee...father of Spike Lee. Recorded at the end of 1964...not released until January 1966.

3. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I have on order Cold On The Shoulder, Don Quixote and Old Dan's Records to go along with my Sundown and If You Could Read My Mind.

I am excited to dig in. (I know I could just stream them all first but really I like getting a record and hearing it for the first time the old fashioned way).

4. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

You're missing the best of that era (in my opinion): Summer Side Of Life

3Dman, eelkiller and jhw59 like this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not sure if Summer Side Of Life is the best but it's certainly another five star classic.

Glenn coates, Bern and 3Dman like this.
  6. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins Thread Starter

You have three great listens ahead of you. I put Cold On The Shoulder in my top five. I’m a little surprised it’s not getting much love in the poll, but that’s ok; it’s smack dab in the middle of a great stretch.

7. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’m digging in to listen to some artists I think I’ve missed out on. I’ve not heard any of these records and it’s very exciting.

MikeManaic61, carlwm, Bern and 2 others like this.
  8. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

I started with Gord's Gold in high school (early 90's) because I wanted "Sundown". I had no idea that some songs were rerecorded until years later.

About 20 years ago,I added Complete Greatest Hits in my quest for "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald".

The older I get, the more I like his music. I added the UA CDs about two years ago. Seems like the Reprise CDs are all OOP? I have only been able to add a used copy of Summer Side of Life so far, but it is excellent. Based on this poll, I can't wait to add If You Could Read My Mind and Sundown (at a minimum).

carlwm, Bern, superstar19 and 2 others like this.
  9. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

I like Summer Side Of Life partly because it shows a bit more of Gord's pop side, the same as Sundown does. With his early seventies albums it seemed to me that he would alternate between a more folk/country feel and a more pop feel.

MikeManaic61, CoachD, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  10. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Saturday night...Summer Side of Life time.

I didn't hear this one til 1981...though I seem to remember Ten Degrees and Getting Colder was on one of my Warner Brothers Loss Leaders LP's. I had a few of them. Cotton Jenny received quite a bit of airplay. Surprised it wasn't released as a single. Seems like an obvious choice.

I always wanted to remix some of this lp for some reason. Maybe to make them all sound like Miguel...which might be my favorite of this album. Just love the recording.

Usually there's one song on an album that I would toss. I like all the songs on this one. The beer opening on Cabaret always makes me laugh.

Singles from the lp.
    Talking In Your Sleep/ Nous Vivons Ensemble
    Summer Side of Life/ Love and Maple Syrup

The 1972 BBC (on youtube in decent audio quality) has Summer Side of Life, Ten Degrees and Getting Colder, Miguel, Nous Vivons Ensemble, and Talking In Your Sleep...as a three piece band with Rick and Red.

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

12. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Reported

carlwm, eelkiller, 3Dman and 2 others like this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

There was a time

14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

It's really hard to pick just 5, but my favorite Gord era is the stretch from Sit Down Young Stranger through Sundown - so those were the 5 I chose. Honorable mention to Dream Street Rose and Shadows which I feel are both sleepers and can hang with the best of his 70s output. "Shadows" is one of my favorite Lightfoot songs from any era.

Glenn coates, carlwm and 3Dman like this.
  15. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

While you're at it ask a gort to merge this with ORC

Dennis0675 and 3Dman like this.
  16. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

They’re all truly great albums. I love ‘em.

carlwm and 3Dman like this.
  17. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Rice plays Lightfoot.

Really fantastic album.

Tony totally gets Gord. A must have album in my opinion :righton:

sjaca, carlwm, Dennis0675 and 3 others like this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s how I became aware of who Gordon was, I thought it was an Native American songwriter when I first got the CD.

I was listening to an interview with Tony recently where he was asked about lightfoot and he mentioned that he has played with him on stage a few times. I would really like to find a recording of that. The interview was from the 80’s when Tony still had a good voice.

carlwm, Slim Zooms and 3Dman like this.
  19. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Cold On the Shoulder. Released in 1975 it managed to hit number 10 on Billboard as as album. (Sundown.. Gord's only number 1 on BB). Originally set for a late 1974 release, it was held up as Carefree Highway was on the singles charts. During the holdup, Bells of the Evening, Cherokee Bend, and Slide On Over were recorded, along with different versions of All The Lovely Ladies and Rainbow Trout. An acoustic version of Hangdog Hotel Room was dropped, along with "Whispers"...which would go on to be re-recorded under Whisper My Name ...off of Dream Street Rose.

Another album I like all the way thru...faves being Bells of the Evening...and Fine As Fine Can Be. Sort of wish we had more Lightoot and mainly piano based songs. (of course in addition to what we have now). Also All The Lovely Ladies, and The Soul is the Rock , are also highlights for me.

Single ..Rainy Day People/ Cherokee Bend hit number 26 Billboard.

A nice LP cover. Gord has had some great ones and some really bad ones. Jan Stephenson is listed as being the woman standing behind Lightfoot on the cover.

[​IMG]

20. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Nice post :righton:

I agree that ‘All The Lovely Ladies’ is a nice song, I really like that too. Darrell Scott does a lovely version on his Modern Hymns album.
    Check it out:

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Cold On The Shoulder is my favourite. So many great albums though. :righton:

Glenn coates, 3Dman, Bern and 2 others like this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Those are good points. Strangely enough, I think I prefer Summer Side Of Life to Sundown. Both fab though. :)

JMR, daleyguy, 3Dman and 2 others like this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Love Tony Rice's music so I was excited to hear his Lightfoot album. Bit of a swing and a miss for me inasmuch as I every time I reach for it, I put it back and dig out a proper Gord album.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  24. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

His version of Cold On The Shoulder is fabulous. Speaking of Tony, I’ve got a few of his albums but haven’t yet managed to track down Church St Blues on CD. I must continue to search.

superstar19 likes this.
  25. r&b

r&b Forum Resident

Im big fan and like most of his 60's and 70's albums, but my absolute 3 faves are Lightfoot!, Summer Side of Life, and Old Dan's Records. Never tire of them

superstar19, Slim Zooms and carlwm like this.