What artist had the potential for a better album than what their discography ultimately delivered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McKigney, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Booyaa73

Booyaa73 Often wrong, never in doubt.

Smithereens. Not really sure why "Blow Up" failed to capitalize on the success of "11", but it all seemed downhill from there. Multiple covers albums certainly didn't help.

Crimson Witch and LeftCoastGator like this.
  2. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

As a long time Byrds fanatic (first album owned, 1st ever concert in 1971): I'll agree with this excluding their first album "Mr. Tambourine Man" (which remains pretty easy to listen to from first to last song) and "Sweetheart".

3. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

It's hard to argue with this one. I love the Police, but none of their albums are truly great. Each one has a half-dozen fantastic songs and then some boring, weird, or annoying junk to pad it out to 40 minutes.

Earscape, ODShowtime and Olargues like this.
  4. easysteps

easysteps Forum Resident

I think the first one, Outlandos d'Amour, comes closest to greatness. It's a solid collection, and I even like the weirdo novelty track, "Be My Girl - Sally."

Bill Diercks and ODShowtime like this.
  5. Olargues

Olargues Forum Resident

Liz Phair, after her first sensational album, and then...

mbd40 likes this.
  6. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

I don't know... if you ask me, he had three decently solid albums in Mad Mad World, Ragged Ass Road, and X-Ray Sierra. The first two just needed a bit of pruning, they suffer from CD runtime disease. Cut four songs off each and they're great albums.

X-Ray Sierra
    is a fantastic album start to finish, though. If you ask me it's the best thing he ever did, Red Rider included.

7. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I would love that!
    Four or five years ago, I listened to an interview with Juliana Hatfield in which she talked briefly about working with Westerberg and she was asked if they were planning to do more work together. She said it was possible (though, of course, nothing since has come out). I mentioned what Juliana said in that interview on a thread here and someone responded by asking me, "Where the hell did you hear that?" I never knew if that poster was thrilled by the idea or maybe thought I was hallucinating, lol. Nope- I did indeed here her say that and always hoped it would happen! Not likely, but who knows?

Ranzo likes this.
  8. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident Thread Starter

True Blue is solid. Five hits out of nine tracks! and 4 album tracks which are kinda fluffy but not altogether awful

9. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

"If I Can't Have You" wasn't them, unless you're referring to the outtake that wasn't on the soundtrack. Two of the other songs were holdovers that had previously been hits.

10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

If you think Whitechocolatespaceegg is a dud, then you are in the minority.

wampachompa, ARK and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  11. Olargues

Olargues Forum Resident

Fine. Minority is less crowded and therefore more pleasant !

I like Polyester Bride. Otherwise it's a level down (and probably a couple of levels down) compare to Exile. Just my opinion indeed.

12. Menehune

Menehune Annoying Fool

[​IMG]
    Sledgehammer and In Your Eyes from 1986’s So were certainly huge hit singles, but his third self titled 1980 album (aka “melt”) was never surpassed in terms of sheer groundbreaking musical creativity.

13. Dilamenz

Dilamenz Forum Resident

Harry Nilsson for me.

Bnk and Earscape like this.
  14. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Rod Stewart is the first one that came to mind. He was so good rocking the roof off with the Faces, but his solo career never really did much for me, aside from an occasional great song like "I Know I'm Losing You" or "Hot Legs" or "Infatuation".

His career seems to consist mostly of boring supermarket background music otherwise. A shame, because he has a totally unique voice and his early albums showed a lot of promise

15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

This and I was also going to say Gomez.

geneva67 likes this.
  16. classicrockguy

Nilsson had a ton of great albums early in his career that the public mostly ignored unfortunately. Seems like he went off the rails after the Schmilsson albums and never really recovered after that, destroying his lovely voice in the process. It's too bad, he's one of my favorite singers up to that point

geneva67 and Instant Dharma like this.
  17. Gracchus

Gracchus Forum Resident

His first four albums don't show promise they are genuinely great - and that's four more than most can manage!

TonyG, mr fish and easysteps like this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Of course you had to interrupt the thread with self-indulgent twaddle. ;)

GimiSomeTruth and Menehune like this.
  19. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Releasing 3 albums a year in the early and mid-60s sold the Beach Boys short artistically. I have to make playlists condensing all those Capitol albums.

Bnk likes this.
  20. classicrockguy

Agree about the Byrds, seems like every one of their pre-Rodeo albums has brilliant parts but get derailed into silliness and throwaway tracks ("Lear Jet Song" etc.). None are 100% great all the way through

A Local Bloke and George Blair like this.
  21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

As per Aristotle, sometimes; ∑ > parts

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Damn. Looks like they are back to being a trainwreck. You have to have a Fisher in there.

23. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Christopher David Booth

24. easysteps

easysteps Forum Resident

I love ABBA, but their best album isn't really an album - ABBA Gold.

Wezz10538 likes this.
  25. Gracchus

Gracchus Forum Resident