What Bowie are you listening to this week?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jan 15, 2016.

1. serge

serge Forum Resident

Low , Blackstar, Scary Monsters (right now) and CD 3 from Sound and Vision box (my favorite one disc of Bowie)...oh also Lets Dance side 1 and TMWSTW in preparation for Holy Holy

I'm really burned out on Hunky Dory-Ziggy era Bowie.. have been for years...

2. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

As far as I remember, the cassette and cd of Tin Machine, featured 2 additional tracks. Not essentials, though.

Budda Of Surburbia is an essential listen! While no one is sure how to classify the record as a regular album or a soundtrack, the fact is that only the title track appeared in the tv-series for which it was written, while the remaining songs were new creations. It's not exactly Low or "Heroes", but it's the perfect bridge in between Black Tie, White Noise and 1. Outside.

Labyrinth is half an album. Bowie contributed 5 worthwhile tracks. Quite good tracks too.
    Early On is essential in that it covers every released track from 1964-66, with unreleased demos as well. The only remote point is that I Pity The Fool and Take My Tip are alternate vocal takes compared to the original released versions, though there are barely any difference at all.

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing. Thread Starter

Yeah, that one's good too. Oops.

4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Right now Tin Machine s/t (typing this in 10-minute break).

dlokazip, Scroller and Vaughan like this.
  5. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

All I wanted to hear, when I read on this forum of David's sad passing I was off work sick and I wanted to do was hear some of his albums once again. This is something I almost never do but he was one of the artists that I first took an interest in, at a very young age. Also, I began looking on Amazon when I saw people posting in What Are You Listening To Now thread (Part 54), as I was doing too... I'd not heard The Next Day all the way through and Blackstar was now a must! Hoped that will arrive today but I have others in the meantime. I picked up Earthling as well as it has good reviews and like the single Dead Man Walking (the CD single I had, had multiple mixes.)

I played these CDs at home, on the 11th:
    Aladdin Sane
    Deram Anthology 1966-1968
    Hunky Dory (Ryko/EMI version with bonus tracks)
    Let's Dance
    Low

Then on the train, the following afternoon:
    The Man Who Sold The World (Ryko/EMI version with bonus tracks)
    The Best Of David Bowie (CD1)

And a couple of days later, returning home:
    The Best Of David Bowie (CD2)
    Bowie At The Beeb (2CD version)

As I will be in (later) for the remainder of the day and evening, I have these lined up and think I'll get to them in this order:
    The Next Day
    Hours
    Earthling
    Ziggy Stardust (Ryko/EMI version with bonus tracks)

But right now, I'm listening to this 1981 cassette...

http://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-ChangesTwoBowie/release/5154013

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Sitting here listening to Oh Vey! Baby. Love Tin Machine!

weirdmikebeard and Scroller like this.
  7. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

Saw them in 1991 in a small club in Cologne, after the second album. The show was loud and messy, can't say I loved the music much, but I was just a few feet away from DB, so it was great anyway.

8. Bowi was the first EP released on Stiff Records. Recorded by Nick Lowe, who had also released the first Stiff single, the title and cover were a humorous response to the David Bowie album Low, released earlier in the year. Lowe decided that as Bowie had made an album with his name, but without the final e, he would make a record with Bowie's name, also lacking the final e.

[​IMG]

9. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Mostly -

"Outside" (finally)
    "Stationtostation"
    "Nothing Has Changed"
    "The Next Day"
    "TMWSTW"
    "Hunky Dory"
    "Pin Ups"
    "Aladdin Sane"
    "Ziggy"

I'm sure he would be ecstatic at the amount of his music being played recently.

OldSoul likes this.
  10. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I have only been able to listen to Blackstar lately.

11. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

So far this past week: Ziggy, Low, "Heroes", Scary Monsters & Let's Dance. Before he died I had just being playing Lodger & Hunky Dory. Will probably put Aladdin Sane in today.

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

started working my way through the discography (on vinyl) last night. tonight we start with side two of "the man who sold the world". i have a 4 day weekend so i'm hoping to make it out of the 70s this weekend.

JeffMo likes this.
  13. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

All of them... I played all of the studio albums this week. Some I had never even heard like Tin Machine. But I really wanted to play them all so I did. Plus a lot of Blackstar. Last night was Ziggy, plus the Motion Picture soundtrack and the live in Santa Monica 72 set.

I'm not sure what's in store for today yet but I do know I'm not ready to stop playing Bowie!

14. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

Played these last night, that third disc is great much underplayed in this household

JeffMo and deadbirdie like this.
  15. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

Listening to Nassau '76 from the Stationtostation re-release a few years back right now.

16. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Just played some singles...

Boys Keep Swinging/Fantastic Voyage
    John, I'm Only Dancing ('72 and '75 versions)
    Ashes To Ashes/Move On
    The Laughing Gnome/The Gospel According To Tony Day

Yes, I know... but I can't play a b-side without an a-side. And vice versa. :) The first three were the first DB things I bought. A year or so later, it was a tape reissue of Aladdin Sane.

17. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

Had forgotten how great the guitar work on this album is. "Stay" is just incredible.

gr8trak likes this.
  18. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

I think the same. The album is not as bad as some critics say it is, it's actually pretty good! Sure, not everything is working, but I think the band is on fire on some songs and Bowie's vocals are great all the way through.

Right now I'm listening to the Bowie-produced Transformer.

19. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

20. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

One of the items in 350+ CD's I have gotten back after years having been traded away/sold but never having gotten past the cardboard boxes is Early On (1964-66). I remember buying that from new in early 2011, apparently it is quite hard to find now. It contains some pretty cool R&B/mod stuff I haven't heard in ages... Digging that too. Even with Liza Jane, at 17 years old, Bowie already had a pretty cool voice.

21. weirdmikebeard

weirdmikebeard Forum Resident

Right now Reality.

22. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

I've been stuck on Blackstar all week. Station to Station is something that is always close at hand, but I haven't listened to it this week. Will be in the car alone tomorrow for a couple of hours, so I'm burning a couple of CDs of favorites, as well as obscure tunes.

The songs of Blackstar have been haunting me and keep calling me back.

23. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I listened to nothing until yesterday. No music by anyone. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
    Finally, yesterday and this morning I've listened to Reality, Black Tie White Noise, Tin Machine, and of course Blackstar.

This death hit me pretty hard, as hard as a non-family/friend death could possibly hit.

wavethatflag likes this.
  24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing. Thread Starter

Dear thread, it was a long week. THE NEXT DAY

I asked a mod to correct my first post here.

25. Dmkbox

Dmkbox Well-Known Member

Outside, Singles collection.