What decade did you go to the cinema more?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

60's-70's

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Loads of cinemas in the sixties and seventies, but the odd fleapit ..they must have looked grand in the 1930s/40s.

3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The 70's and 80's are tied for me. There were so many revival houses in the Village that in the summertime I would buy a pack of smokes and spend an afternoon in air conditioned comfort watching double features of Fellini or Godard or whoever was being revived that week. Saw so many Fassbinder films I picked up a bit of German.

alexpop likes this.
  4. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

Mostly 70's and 80's. It seemed like a nicer, lower key experience back then. Don't think the movies were any better...maybe it was less of a "corporate" experience. I'm babbling

alexpop likes this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The 80's, when I was a teenager.

EVOLVIST and illwind64 like this.
  6. alexpop

Popcorn size was smaller.

illwind64 likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm gonna say, last decade, but only on the basis that, this decade isn't over yet. :D

Since our town opened its' art/indie/foreign film theater, we have almost adopted it (personal parking spaces? Hah! Try urinals with our names on them...!). Film festival weeks mean sometimes our TiVo's sit home alone and graze the home shopping channels all by themselves for days...

8. alexpop

Cinema name in neon lights ala The Majestic ?

9. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

10. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Nothing fancy. Just a small one screen theater with the usual marquee and the box office outside. I saw Tommy there and also Jaws, Planet of the Apes, etc. It eventually shut down when the malls took over.

alexpop likes this.
  11. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

60's and 70's. I started going to Saturday matinees (remember those?) without a parent when "Jason and the Argonauts" was fairly new in 1964. Many matinees followed. As I became a high school student in 1968, American movies were becoming more adventurous in subject matter as seen via the recently installed ratings system. I discovered the joys of foreign films with subtitles and indie movies )before there was such a designation) from the great films shown at Syracuse University's Film Forum. Film Forum is where I saw my first Bunuel, Romero and Lynch movies. Eraserhead was their first Midnight Movie and was treated as quite an event. It takes a lot to get me into a theater anymore.

alexpop likes this.
  12. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

1970s. We used to have a local theatre that played triple features, usually a white exploitation movie, a black exploitation movie and a kung fu movie. Great way to kill a whole afternoon.

13. alexpop

Early sixties lot of sword and sandal, westerns films ..Disney Son Of Flubber etc ..

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Jazzmonkie likes this.
  14. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

Back in the 80's. As a teenager, my parents didn't have a VCR or get cable (I know, I know--first world problems) so movie theaters became my primary entertainment destination, especially after I became old enough to get into R-rated movies.

15. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

70's and 80's definitely, no other option before VHS. Now I just go for Star Wars and the occasional classic.

I used to joke with the kids that we should just wait for the DVD to come out. That was back in around 2008 when it was about £20 for all of us. If I wanted to take the family now for a film at the local fleapit, its £48. It is utterly idiotic.

No wonder box office records get smashed when its costs twice as much to go than it did 10 years ago!

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

1980's

Villa Park Twin Cinema most weekends

17. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Definitely the '70s and '80s. I worked in a theatre in the early '80s and I saw a lot of free movies. Markedly less during the '90s and since around 2007, hardly at all.

18. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

1970s.
    From sometime in 1970 to pretty much the end of the decade I was going almost every week, and mostly on my own. I went to see the films, not to hang out with anyone. I'm still the same now.

19. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

80s

EVOLVIST likes this.
  20. Oh, the 1980s for sure! Every weekend, every summer, unless we had exhausted the films that were currently showing.

I mean, it was all of the John Hugh's films. It was Ghostbusters and Indiana Jones. It was R-rated movies because our theater didn't care. It was paying once and seeing everything in the house.

I feel fortunate to have that decade's films in person.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

2000s. Did a lot of 2 movies in the same night with friends.

alexpop likes this.
  22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

80's when I was young and single!!

23. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

1990s - I still remember some of which I saw: The Rock, Ronin, Independence Day, Con Air, Silence of the lambs, a couple of Star Trek films and for some reason a quite boring film where Chris O'Donnell played a lawyer who kept visiting a prison..

24. alexpop

80s was the fun decade a more adult version of the 1960‘s decade. 1980‘s, still remember what cinemas I went to.. films shown.

25. ganma

ganma Senior Member

The 90s when I was a university student. It only cost $5NZ, so I went every week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.