What did you enjoy more if you experienced all of them, buying new LPs, cassettes or cds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 80steen, Apr 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

LP's & CD's equally for different reasons.

LP's - I was very young & didn't care about the sound so whatever I got my hands on gave me a thrill. When I would go to yard sales & got used records, I didn't care about the scratches. All I was thinking about was that I got another record to play. Then, "Superstars Of The 70's came out & ignited a flame of love for Various Artists compilations. I buy a lot of albums, but Various Artists sets are my favorites. I loved those days!

CD's - By the time they came around, I built up quite a collection of records. When I played my first CD (Neil Diamond-His 12 Greatest Hits"), I was amazed how clear it sounded. I started buying CD's too because of that. The big thrill associated with CD's though was Rhino Records. When they started their "Billboard Top Rock 'n' Roll Hits series I was excited, hooked & committed to getting them all (Which I did & still have). Next came the "Super Hits Of The 70's: Have A Nice Day" series & I thought I died & gone to heaven! I got all of them & the box set & yes, I still have all of them. I couldn't get all of the Rhino CD series sets because I would've gone broke so I went random after that. One other set that I didn't see coming but was a big thrill to me was "The British Invasion". Just before I found out about it, a double CD set advertised on TV caught my eye. It was called "Brit's Blitz". A nice set at the time so I bought it. The sound wasn't great but I got the songs. Well, when "The British Invasion" caught my attention, I bought them all. All nine CD's are still with me & this set I would love to see a vinyl reissue of. It's a great set!

Yeah, I still buy both vinyl & CD's & I still get a thrill.

[​IMG]

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my least favorite purchase was cassettes unless they were high quality blanks...love making my own mix tapes!

3. Kelby A. Thomas

Kelby A. Thomas Forum Resident

I understand, I refuse to watch my movies on DVD until transferred to VHS.

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

LPs for me. I started in the latter part of the 60s. In the 70s I bought a few 8 tracks for the car but never really got into cassettes. I didn’t start buying CDs until the late 80s. But I continued to buy A LOT of used albums in the 90s as people traded them in at the used record stores. These days I have pretty much quit buying anything since I have most everything I want and enough to keep me busy listening for a long time.

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

CDs.

Never bought pre-recorded cassettes, tho' wife and kids did.

Bought LPs for less than 20 years; enjoyed it immensely, but it's in the past.

Been buying CDs almost exclusively for over 35 years, still loving it.

6. JDE1982

JDE1982 Well-Known Member

I was born in the early 80s and some of my earliest memories are going to Great American Music and Title Wave (two long defunct chains) with my dad so he could purchase LPs. My first music was on 45 or LP so there’s always been something magical about that format for me. I still buy my favorite records on LP first and still get a giddy rush when I find something that I’ve been hunting for for years.

Overall though the CD has been the medium that I have owned the most music on, and allowed me to LISTEN to the most music. LPs didn’t contain the multitude of B-Sides and rare tracks that CD reissues did. While My Aim is True on my dads turntable will be my favorite way of listening to it, the best value for me was buying the Rhino reissue freshman year in college.

So LPs will always be my mystical music love, CDs gave me the most bang for my buck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.