What era of music do listen to the most?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Feb 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

All over the map. Found myself listening to, and enjoying, music of the Crusades the other evening, dating back to around 1100 AD.

By necessity, probably mostly 1930s to 2010s, because of how my personal collection is weighted.

On the radio, I listen only to two or three local public stations, one classical, mostly 18th through 20th centuries, one jazz, mostly 1940s to present and one public information that plays music at night, almost exclusively current adult-oriented* "urban" or "alternative" music.

(*By which I mean "grown up," not the other "adult.")

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

1960's to 1970's.
    But even the bulk of that is from '65 - '70. There are very few albums post '75 I listen to.

I was born in 2001.

3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

This sort of stuff is very cool:

HaileyMcComet and Crimson Witch like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

60'-90's

5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Primarily 20th and 21st century music of various types

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

The 50's is not my era but I listen to a lot of music recorded during that decade.

7. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

1940s-1990s. Country and blues from the '40s. Easy listening and exotica and country, blues, rhythm & blues, and rock from the 1950s and '60s. Country, blues, and rock from the '70s, and rock and blues in the '80s and '90s. I do listen to some more current stuff, but mostly current stuff that sounds old.

8. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

2000- current is what I listen to most frequently with emphasis on the last 5 years
    Next would probably be 1976-1985 punk/ new wave/ college rock/ etc...

9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I show no favoritism to any particular era. I find myself pretty regularly listening to music from the 1720s to the 1820s to the 1920s, and now the 2020s.

One thing I actually don't do a lot of is listen to the music I loved as a teenager and young adult. I listened to that to death back then. It's kind of stale for me, and some of it I've flat out lost my taste for -- even entire styles. Like I listened to mostly rock and R&B back then. I almost never listen to either anymore.

I do still return to some old favorites from those days for sure, but really a pretty small number of artists and albums from that time, and less and less often with each passing year. I'm much more interested in hearing new and new-to-me music, or even if it's somewhat familiar music, not the same damn music I played to death when I was 15-25. Even the music I still think of fondly and cherish that I loved and was important to me then, it's fine living in my memory, it's not something I actually find I actually often feel like putting on and listening to. I can't really hear that with fresh ears anymore anyway. I still think fondly of it but I don't need to hear it again.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    HaileyMcComet and Crimson Witch like this.
  10. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Classical: late classical - early romantic.
    Jazz: mid 50s - mid 60s
    Rock: late 60s - mid 70s
    Metal: mid 80s - early 90s

11. Francesco Greco

Francesco Greco Active Member

Last week, I was listening to all the Dave era Van Halen and I felt like I was 15 all over again !!!

That 6 pack, especially the first four, got to be, IMO, the perfect albums by any band in any genre !!!

This week I've been checking out all my Motley Crue albums, the Crucial Crue series.

Unbelievable how much I forgot I love those records, especially the early ones ...

12. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Mostly early 70s to early 00s for pop/rock. For jazz I guess 50s and 60s primarily.

13. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I got burned out on music from my youth (60s & 70s) during the mid 80s & most of the music since then that has informed my listening pleasure remains predominantly pre-Elvis with Miles Davis 69-77 years a close #2...

A few exceptions to the rules are Lou Reed solo, Rod Stewart / EPTAS (1971) Elvis Costello / TYM (1978) Clash / LC (1979) Television / MM (1977) Beatles / RS (1965-US)

14. 60-2010’s

15. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

My taste in music is broad however the number of artist is narrow with deep dive. So time periods overlap. For example Miles is 40/90 and so forth.

Listen to Rock, Country, Folk , World , Jazz, Classical 40-80

I continue to buy what catches my fancy from 80’s to present.

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

70's and 80's.

17. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

65-95 most

18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Most of my music listening nowadays is done in my car, with tunes from my smart phone, during my long work commute on the freeway. The song library is titled “The LBJ to Nixon Years.”

19. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Hard to say I would guess roughly 65-73 but that probably doesn't even necessarily pin that era down. Psychedelia, proto prog, spiritual jazz, krautrock, garage, roots reggae, acid rock.

Also love bits of first wave punk, postpunk, protopunk, earlier jazz e.g bebop, hardbop, hot5s , delta blues, shoegaze, later psych (80s to current), early country, early irish music, whatever other ethnic roots stuff e.g. klezmer, rembetika, etc etc. Plus rock'n'roll and rockabilly.
    & various African stuff.
    So that covers a lot of time

But would say that my main love is psychedelic I think.

20. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I was born in 73. I grew up in the 80s but always preferred the music from the 60s and into the 70's. Did not like contemporary 80s music much. Now compared to todays music I like a lot of the 80s stuff and have rediscovered or engaged with lots by buying ridiculously cheap and usually great sounding CD's.
    I still say 60's music is better. It is what I enjoy.
    I wonder if I am just behind the times? But then there are many things that are clearly better today usually driven by science/tech.
    As someone who works with a large number of teenagers, it is interesting how many of them are discovering the catalogues of bands like The Beatles, Queen etc.

Crimson Witch and The MEZ like this.
  21. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Great to see some love for the 90's. I went on a massive shoegaze trip recently, played every album I had from the golden era of it, and even discovered some bands that weren't on my radar back in the day, through the below topic & linked article.

The 50 Best Shoegaze Albums of All Time

I've been slowly going through the 'Favourite album of XXXX' topics, and whilst I will do the 2000s, 2010's, and some 80's ones, I don't think I'll have quite the same affection as I did for the 90's ones. I've printed off the lists I've done so far and put them in a folder. I feel quite emotional looking back at some of them. I actually plan to go over whole years at a time, over a few days or so. A few months ago when I did my 1999 list, I could barely believe that the last year of the 90's was now 20 years (half my lifetime) ago. Crazy. The weird thing with getting older is the amount of music you have acquired over the course of your life, and it becomes harder and harder to choose which album to put on.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  22. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Over all, mostly music by my favorite bands and musicians in rock, jazz, and blues from around 1959 to the present.

23. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

60's and 70's though I go back to my early teens in the 1950's for the doo-wop, Elvis, Buddy, Chuck, Jerry Lee, etc. stuff.

The MEZ likes this.
  24. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

70s thru the 90s

The MEZ likes this.
  25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

For the last 5 years or so, I'd say it's been 70s/90s/10s (not the most precise of eras, I know, but that pretty much is what it is.

The MEZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.