What ever became of....? Actor and Actress who you don't see anymore.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As noted above, Gibson still works, but not a lot. Unclear how much of this is his choice or Hollywood's choice.

He did just direct the well-received "Hacksaw Ridge"...

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I thought he stepped away from show-biz to earn a Ph.D. and become a university lecturer on ancient Roman and Italian Renaissance art.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I thought she took some time away from her acting career to concentrate on raising her four children (but I see that she has worked quite a bit in the past 10 or 15 years, but in low profile tv projects or direct to video movies).

I was also under the impression that her career took a bit of a hit when a false rumour spread about her being awarded the Oscar by mistake. (Didn't the Academy announce several years later that an audit had taken place and it verified she indeed had won the Oscar.)

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

oh, he is around, but he is in just about every piece of crap low-budget movie that is released.

considering the climate of the USA right now, what old mel did doesn't seem so horrible as it once did :shrug:

Jack Lord, chronic kebab and Rhett like this.
  5. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

It is true that he got his doctorate and does some sessional lecturing on those topics. However, I understand that directing for TV is still his main source of income.

A bit like Sterling Morrison of the Velvet Underground who got his Ph.D. in medieval literature and did do some contract lecturing but earned his living as a tugboat captain.

6. Oatsdad

As stated above: Gibson barely acts in movies these days.

Mel Gibson has acted in six movies since 2004!

That's an average of one movie every two years - not exactly overexposed...

7. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Sean Young. Really gorgeous Old Hollywood looks; seemed to be headed for stardom in the '80s before she got a reputation for being a little too odd.

a customer and Karnak like this.
  8. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

There were some pretty horrific phone calls towards his ex girlfriend or wife I seem to recall too which were even worse than the rant. I probably couldn't quote them without being banned.

9. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Good example -- she was a rising star and then was shunned seemingly overnight. Loved her in Bladerunner.

10. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Also Emilio Estevez. Very high profile for about 10 years, then shifted to lower profile personal projects, some of which got good critical response but no wide release.

11. Oatsdad

Was it that she was "odd" or that it was difficult to work with her? I'm under the impression it's more the latter...

a customer and Karnak like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

There was a movie with James Woods that started it, IIRC. After, Woods got an injunction against her, to keep her away from him.
    Her dressing up as Catwoman to try and get cast in Batman was the last thing I heard about her.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

A shame, cause The Way is a great little movie.

Pete Puma and RogerB like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

If he was drunk out of his mind, I'll give him a pass. I've had best friends take swings at me, point guns at me, smash my car, and curse a blue streak at me and laughed it off with them the next day because they were two sheets to the wind. If you hang with heavy drinkers, insane blackouts go with the territory. There maybe an unwritten pact among drunks that forgiveness is built into the madness because people DONT ACT LIKE THEMSELVES when they're drunk or the worst of them can get magnified. If you cant handle a bit of insanity, don't hang with drunks. But I love a little insanity in my friends! It's great theater!

Grawlix, Karnak and GodShifter like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I don't want to derail the thread but I will add that the 'pact' you speak of often spreads to the entire extended family. My wife has a sister in law who arrives at parties smashed and gets worse as the night progresses, usually manifesting itself in violating everyone's personal space and coming close to kissing men on the mouth. Everyone just says, 'oh that's Mary, she's having a good time.' She says things and makes promises that no one makes any effort to follow up, because she was 'having a good time.'

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, that sucks. I'm talking about boys nights out only. You know, where the whole point of the evening is soley to get smashed.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

heh, yea, remember those days

18. windfall

windfall Senior Member

His face still looks like a teenagers but his body in that film was definitely looking or made to look very middle aged. An odd and weirdly sobering sight. And an utterly brilliant movie.

19. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Ken Marshall- Thought he did well in giving the role of the real Marco Polo some life in the NBC 80s tv mini series. Also was a presence in the fantasy film Krull from the same decade.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  20. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Yes, my girlfriend frequently saw him at the UCLA campus. He's very busy as a director now

21. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

My favourite MIA actors have to be Michael Sacks and Jenny Wright. Sacks was poised to be big with Slaughterhouse-Five (1972) and The Sugarland Express (1974), but in the mid-80's he abandoned acting completely to get an MBA.

Wright was "that face" in scores of films from the 80's, including The World According to Garp, Pink Floyd: The Wall, Near Dark and The Chocolate War, but she basically flamed out by the early 90's

22. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Sadly, that label of being "difficult to work with" is usually used an excuse to blacklist female actors (see also: Faye Dunaway). I very seldom hear about men who are shunned supposedly due to being unprofessional, save for Jan-Michael Vincent

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Yes, I remember Wright only from 'Near Dark' and 'The Lawnmower Man'.

24. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

You confused Mira Sorvino with Marissa Tomei

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I thought she was great in The Abyss.

Rocker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.