What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

:unhunh:

RogerB and phillyal1 like this.
  2. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

I don’t get anything of King Crimson after their biggest hit album, In The Court of the Crimson King. They changed their music style and most of their members too. Maybe prog is not my melody after all.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Hey. It wasn't as bad as Dylan's Xmas album ... ;)

Glenn Christense likes this.
  4. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Please do listen to Just One Victory again.

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Smile.

6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Brian Wilson or The Beach Boys?

7. laether

laether Forum Resident

Bon Jovi - Keep The Faith

I was a huge huge fan in the late 80s + solo stuff of 1990 & 1991.

Of course they couldnt continue the way they were but still song-wise Keep The Faith was nowhere near their past accomplishments...if they'd mixed sambora's & bongiovi's solo efforts together and left out weaker songs, that would have been perfect and honest 90s Bon Jovi comeback record...

8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Bob Lind - Magellan Was Wrong

His comeback album, Finding You Again, released after a hiatus of 41 years, was excellent. This follow-up, though, sounds like the songs were just left over from that session. It's not that they are actually bad songs, just not that great.

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Doesn't matter: same material. I know many here revere it, but, after lusting after Smile for decades, once it was finally in my hands, it sunk in to me that there just might have been a reason why it wasn't released in 1966 other than that Mike was a meanie.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Dodoz likes this.
  10. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Rolling Stones - Undercover of the Night. Gave the CD to my dad.

11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Some bands would consider this the most damning indictment you could possibly deliver.

Machiventa likes this.
  12. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Well, there's still a big difference between the rendition of Brian Wilson and the revised version of the original Beach Boys tapes.

I like it a lot personally, but mind you, you're not alone saying that. The review in Rock n' Folk pretty much said the same thing when the Beach Boys version came out :according to the writer, it's unfocused, childish, idiotic, sketches of songs - and the same guy revers "Pet Sounds". It was the first time I'd ever read something negative about "Smile".

13. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Obscured by clouds, Pink Floyd. It was the last one i get to know from them and got into it knowing that after that one there wouldnt be more Floyd álbuns to discover. Wanted it to be epic (something between meddle and dark side) and though it started well soon the desilusion arrived and was always the Ugly Floyd duck for me. High expectations, big disappointment.
    Nowadays i can enjoy it, but more than 25 years gone bye.

14. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Every Depeche Mode album since Ultra

TheLastVoice, Bluepicasso and mikaal like this.
  15. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I first heard SMiLE when I heard Brian Wilson perform it live in 2004. I really enjoyed the concert as a whole, but remember thinking I did not know what to make of the so-called "lost album".

However I remembered liking a couple of the songs, such as "Wind Chimes", so a few months later when I saw the album in a store I thought "What the heck".

When I played it I wondered what on earth I could have been thinking. Yes, I revere it; I'd say I revere it more than I do Pet Sounds. I can understand though why someone who expected an album that was basically a bunch of songs, each of which could have been a single, might have been nonplussed. Coming from a background of liking progressive rock, I am able to appreciate it better, because like many prog albums, it's a cohesive unit, and really loses something if you don't listen to the whole thing in full.

Dodoz likes this.
  16. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

That's right, and this writer is notoriously anti prog, so it would make sense.

I agree about "Smile" being a whole piece. That said I am intrigued and will forever be : we only have a rough idea of how it would have been assembled had it been released in 1967 (would they have stuck to the track list on the back covers that were apparently printed when the project was dropped?).
    Beach Boys albums are often very short, this one may have been the longest ever, but a single LP can't hold as much music as what was eventually released. :) So there's still a faint "what if" for me.

The last album is abysmal. Not that I was surprised (the previous one wasn't good either) but still painful.

17. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

A lot of the fault with their post Ultra stuff lies in the abysmal mastering: IMO Playing The Angel was a good album but an "ear bleeder".

trickness likes this.
  18. Lonecat

Lonecat King Of Fools

Raging Slab, Sing Monkey Sing.

Dynamite Monster Boogie Concert
    was such a fantastic album, only to be followed by what is probably THEE worst album I've ever heard in my life.

19. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Yep, that and the missing Alan Wilder

20. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I've always liked this album I thought it was quirky great. Nothing but Flowers, Bilnd and Mr Jones were fantastic and made me smile when I heard them. Reading this has me wanting to listen to it again.

21. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Those are my favorite tracks on that album. It wasn't a bad album, just not one I ever really fell in love with.

Ken.e. likes this.
  22. usrlocal

usrlocal Nice and Smooth

I guess one of my first major disappointments as a fledgling music aficionado in the early 80s was Squeeze's "Sweets From a Stranger".

I loved "Argybargy" and "East Side Story" to pieces, and the follow-up just fell flat for me.

Jimbo912 and Neil Anderson like this.
  23. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

I guess I'm like a lot of the world that started to tune out with the 4th Oasis album.
    [​IMG]

Fullbug likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah, "Good Vibrations" is just not your kinda song. :cool:

Bill likes this.
  25. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Two of my favorite albums. I appreciate your candor. We like what we like. :)

I find every Steely Dan album boring after Can't Buy A Thrill. :shrug:

rubberhead and qwerty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.