What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Ben, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Picked up Shine A Light at Best Buy with a price match ($25.99 Circuit City price) and paid with $25 in rewards certificates, so it was 99 cents. They had to get it from the back. None out in the store at all, except for the SD version.

It has TrueHD and dts HD MA for the multi-channel and PCM for stereo.

Do those two compressed tracks together take up less space than one PCM multi channel track?

2. I got the Exorcism of Emily Rose and The Mummy today.

3. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

The Simpsons Movie & Stargate: Continuum.

4. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I haven't heard/read a thing...

Doug

5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I saw it at around age 12 in 1970 in a little theater in Laurel, MD. I'm sure it wasn't 70mm, but it is awesome to see it in a theater. However, I agree that the BD looks the best of any HT version.

You should read some critiques, or even Clarke's novelization! If you don't get the message, you're missing the whole point of the film...well, except for the luscious visual and audio treats.

Doug

6. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

Planet Of The Apes Box Set officially announced and it is packed to the gills:

Planet of the Apes Officially Announced

Posted July 30, 2008 08:36 AM by Josh Dreuth

20th Century Fox Fox Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring 'Planet Of The Apes: 40 Year Evolution Blu-ray Collection' to Blu-ray on November 4th. The set, which features all five original 'Planet of the Apes' films, will feature BD-50s utilizing 2.35:1 1080p AVC accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

The five films - 'Planet Of The Apes', 'Beneath The Planet Of The Apes', 'Escape From The Planet Of The Apes', 'Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes', and 'Battle For The Planet Of The Apes' - have all been specially prepared for this release, including a never-before-seen in the US unrated version of 'Conquest of the Planet of the Apes'.

Extras for this release will all be presented in stunning high definition. They include:

* Science of the Apes BONUSVIEW - Scientists, anthropologists and sociologists discuss the facts and fiction of the first film (BD Exclusive)
    * "Beyond the Forbidden Zone" Adventure Game (BD Exclusive)
    * "A Public Service Announcement From ANSA" in HD - A mission report from the agency regarding their brave astronauts (BD Exclusive)
    * "Evolution of the Apes"- HD featurette tracing the apes story from the original novel to the screen (BD Exclusive)
    * "Impact of the Apes" - HD featurette on how to market a worldwide pop culture phenomenon. The story behind the marketing and merchandising of one of the first ever film franchises and the series' lasting influence on pop culture through the years (BD Exclusive)
    * HD Making-of Featurette for Each Sequel (BD Exclusive):
    o Beneath the Planet of the Apes - "From Alpha to Omega: Building a Sequel"
    o Escape from the Planet of the Apes - "The Secret Behind Escape"
    o Conquest of the Planet of the Apes - "Riots and Revolutions: Confronting the Times"
    o Battle for the Planet of the Apes - "End of an Epic: The Final Battle"
    * Each Apes sequel will have an isolated score track in 5.1 DTS Master Audio (BD Exclusive)
    * Commentary by Composer Jerry Goldsmith
    * Commentary by Actors Roddy McDowall, Natalie Trundy, Kim Hunter and Makeup Artist John Chambers
    * Text Commentary by Eric Greene and Author of "Planet of the Apes as American Myth"
    * Behind the Planet of the Apes Documentary - Includes all new interactivity and timeline
    * Behind the Planet of the Apes Promo (1988)
    * Planet of the Apes Makeup Test with Edward G. Robinson (1966)
    * Roddy McDowall On-set Footage
    * Planet of the Apes Dailies and Outtakes (No Audio)
    * Planet of the Apes NATO Presentation (1967)
    * Planet of the Apes Vintage Featurette (1968)
    * A Look Behind the Planet of the Apes (1972)
    * Don Taylor Directs Escape from the Planet of the Apes
    * J. Lee Thompson Directs Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
    * Six Original Theatrical Trailers
    * Original Sketches by Costume Designer Morton Haack
    * Photo Gallery
    * Planet of the Apes Timeline
    * Interactive Pressbooks
    * Vintage Apes Newspaper Galleries
    * Advertising and Lobby Card Galleries
    * Behind-the-Scenes Galleries

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Received Dark City on Blu-ray from Warner yesterday.

8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I got "Hunt for Red October" delivered to me yesterday from Amazon on BD.

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well, I went to get Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay and checked Walmart and then Target, and they both wanted $30 so I let them keep it. I'll try FYE. They've probably already got some used ones.

I noticed Target stocks that John Mayer disk but not Shine A Light. How odd.

10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Amazon was faster for me this week. My copy of The Lost Boys didn't get lost in the mail. It's here and I'm drinkin' blood tonight.

11. MikeT

I got "Dark City" and "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" on Blu today from Amazon.

12. MikeT

I rented Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay from Netflix on Blu, watched it last night, and already sent it back. It was funny (I guess I was in the mood), but it wasn't as good as the first movie. Not sure I would want to own this one, although some of the "extras" look good (I decided to send it back to Netflix instead of trying out the extras though).

13. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Make sure to see that Harold And Kumar movie before buying. I watched that last night on DVD and it was horrid. I did enjoy the first one.

14. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Picked up "Dog day afternoon" and "No Country for old men" last night, watched dog day last night, they did very well with that transfer especially for a movie of its age, their is some grain (which is great IMO) indicating that it hasn't been futzed with as far as I can tell..

Ill watch No country tommorrow, when my girlfriend is at work (she hates that movie!) im expecting good things! When I watched this on dvd, I was imagining how good it would look on blu ray.

Both movies I bough were on blu ray btw.

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well, I checked FYE today for Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay and all they had was the SD DVD. Don't know what's up with that.

I did leave with 3 used MFSL gold CDs for a total of $61.28 (tax included) so it wasn't a totally wasted trip. Actually it's on the way home from the gym, so wouldn't have been a wasted trip anyway, but anyway.

16. Rando

Rando Active Member

Got "From Hell," "Reds," and "Coming to America" on BD from Amazon (3-for-2 sale).

Let's hope that Fox doesn't apply Patton-style NR to the Apes set. Think I'll wait for reviewers to have the first look ...

17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The Lost Boys BD sure was good lookin' and I was suprised how good the Dolby True sounded. It seems rather impressive for a catalog title.

18. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Went to FYE today and picked up Howard & Kumar Go To White Castle ($23.39 with the discount). I did see 2 used Escape from Guantanamo Bay disks, both missing the slipcase so I passed on it for the time being.

White Castle is Region A. dts HD MA (yuk!). Includes an additional 2 channel stereo mix in regular dts. Actually, they're both regular dts as far as my equipment is concerned.

19. DTS-HD MA is great but I didn't want it used until I got the ability to decode it, but now that I do, I have no problem with it. It should be the DTS core at 1.5Mbps you are using, not just regular DTS, that is DTS at a high bitrate!

Chris

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.