What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SamS, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I just got "Mamma Mia" & "2001:A Space Odyssey". Looking forward to watching them both this weekend.

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Sony sure did In Cold Blood up right. :thumbsup: Maybe I'll cue up it's companion Capote tonight...? The Changeling is calling me though.... It could be a double feature night?

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

3 months away....

Attached Files:

4. Rachael, how did "The French Connection" blu-ray look to you? We're still waiting for your report! Thanks!:wave:

5. Rachael Bee

The French Connection is playing all the way through tonight. I took a 15 minute bite out of it last week. It does look very different. That much was clear.

6. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

i can't wait to see Pinocchio tomorrow, if its as good as "sleeping beauty" was, this should be really something awesome....

7. Friedkin futzed around with "The French Connection"'s color transfer, because he was never happy with the faded look of the Deluxe prints, even in theatrical release! Looking forward to your report Rachael, thanks!:wave:

8. Disney's also included a previously-unseen alternate ending in the bonus material!:righton:

9. Rachael Bee

I ordered a copy of it and expect it soon, maybe tomorrow. I don't think I've seen it since a cinema re-release when I was a kid.

10. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

yesterday I bought "How The West Was Won". Widescreen is cool & Smilevision is cooler! I did an A/B of the widescreen DVD & Blu Ray. The Blu Ray version blows away the DVD version.

11. Agreed, "How The West Was Won" looks amazing in full 3-panel Cinerama, doesn't it? I've got the BD, too!:love:

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

"I'm a real....(looks uncomfortable and adjusts lederhosen)... girl? Ahhhhhhhh!" Enter Rod Serling for closing narration.

:angel:

Regards,

13. Rachael Bee

The film looks good as presented. That doesn't mean I'm in favor of the presentation. I'd rather it had been left alone.

There's a short bit in the Features where the director introduces the new BD. He says he'll comment more on the colour later. I didn't find that. Maybe it's buried in the commentary track? I have no intention of sitting through that. It could also amongst the BD Live material which is in a universe I don't visit?

I'm glad I'm not extremely partial to this film I'd glad to say. If I was, I'd proably be a lot more annoyed by the revisonism colour.....

Just in from Amazonia, Pinocchio. I hope ole Pinocchio ain't had no daggone rhinoplasty..... :laugh:

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I bought the disc and haven't yet opened it.. but I read on-line that there is a 12 minute feature where he discusses the color revision that I believe is on the 2cond disc in the box (and not on the disc with the feature).

15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Had a $25 Best Buy gift card, so I just went ahead and picked up "Pinocchio" on BD. I got the 3-D cup too, which is, well, it was free.

As with "Sleeping Beauty", I picked this up as much for the bonus features and seeing some classic animation as I am specifically seeing the film itself.

16. Rachael Bee

...oh yeah....I forgot about disc 2. I may take a look at it after Pinocchio. I can't imagine him saying anything that would make me prefer the revision. :)

17. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Picked up Pinocchio at BB and got Batman Begins and Thunderball from eBay.

18. Ken_McAlinden

"Pinocchio" and "Stevie Wonder: Live at Last"

19. For what it's worth, I thought "The French Connection" looked fine. The only problem with the approach that Friedkin used (laying a muted color version over a black & white version of the film) is that it makes it A LOT more grainy than the previous version and that version was REALLY grainy at times.

20. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I have Pinocchio and Black Hawk Down shipping from Amazon.

21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

22. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

exactly what I just picked up. u must have good taste!

23. Rando

Rando Active Member

Synecdoche New York on Blu from Amazon.com.

24. Ken_McAlinden

I suspect that is not the case due to my unquestionably in poor taste disappointment that my local Best Buy was sold out of "Howard the Duck" SD DVDs on the same day. :)

Regards,

25. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I saw the South Park blu-ray at FYE today. It was full price so I passed on it. I wonder if $54.99 at Best Buy is the best I can do with this. Maybe Target has it?

Anyway I picked up some other title at FYE for $17.99 (crazy low price of $19.99 new with the 10% off card). The movie is called Cuckoo's Nest or something like that, in one of those "book" packagings I don't really like but for that price who cares.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.