What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

Gee, I wonder where I got the idea for this thread title? :p If ya get an HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape....rate it, hate it, love it, or whatever the case might be, say heah!

I got my first music BD, Pat Metheny Group's The Way Up-Live. I also got Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room on BD. I haven't unwrapped them yet.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut on HD-DVD is on its way now to me. Hope to have it soon to review :agree:

3. NearysEpiphany

NearysEpiphany Forum Resident

Last one was Spartacus a few weeks ago. Should have the Superman flicks, Casablanca, Forbidden Planet, and Mutiny on the Bounty soon if Amazon ever decides to ship the darn things.

I've pretty much stopped buying standard def stuff. Holding out for Double Indemnity and Maltese Falcon in HD

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I'm sure a vinyl enthusiast will want to post his purchases in here, since they like calling their vinyl high def. So if you've recently purchased a RCA CED disk here you go.

I've got Meet The Parents on the way from Amazon. I finally ordered 3 titles (2 of them still pre-orders) to get that 10% deal. Should show up Wednesday since I've still got the free Prime deal until January.

I need to add The Architect to my pre-orders. The cheerleader is in it, so it must be good.

5. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Cream Reunion and Eagles Farewell 1 Tour HD-DVDs

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

How does the Cream disc look?

7. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Fantastic! Easily tops the PBS-HD broadcast (no visible compression artifacts). I think it is even better PQ-wise than Eagles HD-DVD which is also superb. People are unhappy with DTS track stuttering on HD-A1, but I listen to PCM stereo via analog outs and it sounds great!

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Excellent, I will look out for this one.

I have Assault on Precint 13 and Manchurian Candidate on HD-DVD sitting on my desk in front of me. I have not seen either, which one to watch first tonight?

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I don't have any of them, but I've noticed if titles alone were directing my choice of format, HD-DVD would win. Just seems to have more movies that I'd enjoy on it.

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Well I just got King Kong on HD-DVD because its included with the XBOX HD add-on.

11. Rachael Bee

I got Casablanca & Mutiny On The Bounty on HD-DVD. Casablanca is gona be 2-nite's fare .

The Enron movie, The Smartest Guys In The Room BD is no demo of HD power but it's a good documentary...:thumbsup:

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I was supposed to get Meet The Parents today, but UPS "rescheduled" it so now it's a 3 day delivery instead of 2 day. What good is amazon prime anyway? This has happened on my last two orders. I've reported it to amazon.

13. Rachael Bee

You should like it. It looked really solid on D-Theater tape. I want Meet The Fochers...

14. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Do you know what coded/bitrate is used for the audio on the Cream disc? Also, is it just a stereo mix or is 5.1 included too?

15. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I think the audio tracks on HD-DVDs are exactly the same as the ones on SD-DVDs releases: stereo 16/48 LPCM & DTS 5.1 (both PCM and DTS bitrates are 1536kb/s). Unfortunately, HD-A1 player doesn't report the extended track or bitrate info :(

16. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Are the track listings the same as the one on the 2 CD set? I was thinking of getting the CDs but then if the SD-DVDs have the same/better audio tracks then I might as well get those and enjoy the video too.

17. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Both HD-DVDs appear to have tracks that are exactly the same as on respective 2 disk SD-DVD sets.

18. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

19. Rachael Bee

Casablanca was just gorgeous on HD-DVD last night....:thumbsup: C'est Bonn!

20. Rachael Bee

The Postmistress dropped off my Amazon preorders for the HD-DVD's of An American Werewolf In London & Dune off. My DVD Empire preorder for the first two Superman BD's has not even left the gate. It's just as well given how many new ones I have on the docket. I wish Superman, numero uno, had arrived. If it was here, it'd play first and then the Donner sequel....

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm not getting any HD-DVDs lately. My SupII HD-DVD is still MIA from CDUniverse.

And Netflix is screwing me over royally. Even HDDVDs that say 'available now' at the top of my queue get passed over for discs several down from the top. Then all the good new HD-DVD releases mysteriously turn into "very long wait". :shake:

I'd try Blockbuster online, but my friend tells me they're just as bad.

I need my HD fix :D

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Meet The Parents has what appears to be a U-Control icon on it. Regardless of that it played all the way through perfectly. The movie is good enough but I don't see why I'd be tempted to get the sequel. Don't like Barbra either. What part does she play in the sequel?

23. Rachael Bee

Mega Ba-Ba plays Ben Stiller's mom and she good in the part. I'm not a fan of her's particularly but she works very, very well in Meet The Fochers. This is one sequel I like better than the original. BTW, Dustin Hoffman plays her hubbie.

I have Meet The Parents on D-tape. I waiting for the sequel on HD-disc, BD, presumably.

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Rachael, has D-Theater dried up completely/officially? It never was more than a trickle, but they were at least steady at one point.

25. Rachael Bee

They were released for about 3 years. The last one and it was after a gap of several months was I Robot, say about Febuary '05. There wasn't much fanfare when it was over. I don't know that there was much of any offical announcement. I stille enjoy my tapes very much. I watched Ice Age this morn and Evolution earlier in the week.

I enjoy making 1080i & 480i tapes with my decks. It's a shame D-VHS didn't do better. I could see it making a comeback as a home recording format when the masses get HD, maybe...? It's simple-stupid comepared to operating most DVD recorders.

There are 90+ studio titles and some HD Net releases too.... I have 60 somethin' of the studio ones. I have some all-time fav's too...like Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid....:thumbsup: Alien....:thumbsup: Moulon Rouge....:thumbsup: Galaxy Quest...:thumbsup: and plenty mo' good 'un's. Several of the titles are quite rare and continue to sell high on e-Bay.

D-Theater was fun while it lasted. Bad titles were few. I think it's much easier to author these tapes in MPEG2 than discs...? It certainly appears that way to me. The tapes have 576 Dolby and some have 1.5 DTS too.

I'm glad I got it. I didn't jump right in but when the Samsung T-165 tuner with Firwire connector showed up and I could record, this was late fall '02, I snaged a deck. I quess D-Theater started that summer or spring....???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.