What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Never saw The Terminator??? :D

www.imdb.com is your friend - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000157/

2. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Nope. Had Terminator 2 on LD once, but that's it. I won't be buying that one again.

3. The original Terminator was where James Cameron first got some real recognition. I think the first is the best of the series, but I like all of the Terminator series so far, at least all I am aware of, three movies. I do hope it ends there.

Chris

4. AnalogueGhost

AnalogueGhost Forum Resident

No dice on it ending. McG will be directing a fourth installment (first of a planned trilogy, buzz says) starring Christian Bale and an as-yet-unannounced action star (possibly Vin Diesel). No Arnie, though - except a possible cameo. Same writers as T3.

Link (possible spoilers):

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/071219f.php

Anyway, I agree on Kingdom of Heaven - great looking transfer. MPEG2 is less efficient, but handled properly and given enough room to breathe looks every bit as good as VC-1 and AVC.

5. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Another BOGO on amazon, for HD DVD.

Ordered Meet The Fockers and Dantes Peak.

Delivered, for under $8 each.

Subtotal of Items: $39.90
    Shipping & Handling: $3.97
    Promotion Applied -$3.99
    Super Saver Discount -$3.97
    Promotion Applied -$19.95
    ------
    Total for this Order: $15.96

Shipping estimate for these items: December 31, 2007
    Blocked image 1 "Meet the Fockers [HD DVD]"
    Ben Stiller; HD DVD; $19.95

Sold by: Amazon.com
    Blocked image 1 "Dante's Peak [HD DVD]"
    Pierce Brosnan; HD DVD; $19.95

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

We need a BluRay BOGO next. :)

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Hopefully before the end of the year. That 10% really helps out with the BOGOs since the effect is doubled.

Too bad Cat People wasn't included.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The postman brought a bounty of blurays today:

Elton 60
    Blade Runner 5 Disc (checked, #5 is indeed the Workprint)
    The Prestige
    Superman: The Movie
    Stir of Echoes
    Ultraviolet
    Last Waltz

The last 5 were from the 5-free BD promo that I only sent off for 5 weeks ago, an unexpected surprise.

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Somewhat off the subject, but does the AVS forum look normal or are both of my browsers acting up?

10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

It must be your browsers....?...or provider?

11. MikeT

What is "Promotion Applied" -$3.99? I placed an order for the BOGO HD-DVD's also, but I didn't get any additional discount over and above the the discount for shipping (Free shipping) and the free discs?

I ordered the following HD-DVDs:

Traffic
    Field of Dreams
    The Hurricane
    Monty Python's Meaning of Life

In fact I placed the order at around 3pm and I notice 5 hours later the package has shipped and already has a USPS tracking number!!

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Last year Amazon had a deal. If you bought 3 disks at the same time you got 10% off every disk after that for all of the year 2007.

13. MikeT

Wow - that's cool, wish I would have known about that when it was in force. Maybe they will have a similar promotion this coming year?

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

On IE7 it does seem a bit odd, IE6 looks fine to me.

Ya, sweet deal. Only a few more days left to use it! Need to go down my list....

15. Amazon is running a 50% off sale on select Blu-rays. Titles include Lost:season 3, Pirates:AWE, Cars, etc.

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

For Xmas I recieved the following HD-DVDs:

Transformers
    Top Gun
    Full Metal Jacket
    Batman Begins
    Casablanca
    Blade Runner
    Waterworld
    Planet Earth
    The Matrix boxset

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I just watched Blade Runner. The best I have seen on video. Very clear and crisp throughout.

18. NicS

NicS Forum Resident

For Christmas I recieved:
    Stardust, The Bourne Ultimatum and a gift card to get Pans Labyrinth all in HD DVD.

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Just watched Twilight Zone BD. What's up with the bad review on this? I was almost afraid to play it, but turned out to be absolutely fantastic, from beginning to end. It defaults to dolby digital, so watch out for that.

20. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I just ordered the first four Harry Potter films on Amazon's BOGO HD-DVD sale. It looks like they already removed a lot of the films from that BOGO list, including the Harry Potter films. I got the four for $39.90, so just under $10 per film. Perhaps too many people were taking advantage of that sale. A little while ago when I checked, those four were the top four HD-DVD sellers on the site!

Amazon also dropped the price $5 for the "Bad Santa" Blu-Ray for their new sale, so I got a refund on that!

21. I just watched "Doctor Strange" on Blu-ray. Another Marvel Comic character made into a movie and one I knew nothing about. Almost everything is so so about this animated film but I liked it although I am glad it was just a rental. It was different enough to hold my interest and the animation and odd color choices were the reason, I guess. Very dark at times with great detail in those scenes, but overall I consider it less than average for Blu-ray.

Chris

22. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Just received the following:

The Last Waltz
    The Wild Bunch
    The Searchers

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The new transfer of Blade Runner does look good. It was mastered by ace WB colorist Jan Yarbrough, using color-corrected masters done by Jill Bogdanovich at Technicolor/Burbank. Very nice-looking film -- it's never looked better.

24. NicS

NicS Forum Resident

BB's buy 2 get 1 free got me last night.

Hot Fuzz, Pans Labyrinth and Blade Runner. Thats it for 07, it's time to watch some of these films.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

This is what I saw as well.

I watched King Arthur last night and it was very, very good but not as crystal clear as some others have been. This film seems to be shot purposefully a bit dark and slightly grainy by director Anton Fuqua.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.