What is Fiona Apple up to these days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Perhaps, but she sure has matured nicely, hasn't she?

I just saw these pics on her Facebook page. I'm smitten and enticed (not by her musical talents alone)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Man, that was great! She gets pretty deep into character, eh?
    Thanks for the link!
    Peace-
    Norm/t5

3. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Spring 2011 will bring a new Fiona Apple album, according to drummer, Charley Drayton...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100917/music_nm/us_apple

There were 6 years between her 2nd and 3rd albums, the 3rd having been released in October 2005, so she's 'right on schedule' for her 4th.

4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

They did do a digital remaster/Re-issue ealry 2002 ( i think?) of the 1st two cd's ..... it may be what you have .

I love all 3 cd's , but the 1st is still my favorite , got to see her live 3 times , she was always great ....

5. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

The one I have sounds pretty good from what I remember....Sleep To Dream sounds a bit compressed, but some of the slower tracks (Slow Like Honey) sound excellent.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"When The Pawn..." is the greatest album of the past 20 years in my book.

7. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Wow, really?

At first I thought it was very messy, compared to Tidal. Now I like it better than Tidal.

Extraordinary Machine is a whole other beast. I ended up liking the released version quite a bit, but still like the Jon Brion version better.

I was in on that whole 'Free Fiona' campaign/website. :D

8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It certainly is an awesome album. I never tire of it. I don't think she'll ever top it....if she ever puts out another album that is.

9. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

See post #28.

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I wasn't entirely satisfied with "Extraordinary Machine". I liked some tracks better in their early "leaked" version while I thought others were improved on the finished product. Overall, it was a bit uneven. It didn't have that cohesive brilliance of "Pawn". But I do like many of the songs. I wish Fiona would deliver product more regularly. There aren't that many current artists I'd care to follow, but I'd follow her to the end of the Earth.

11. She did a really nice track called "So Sleepy" that also features the Punch Brothers and Jon Brion this year. It can be had on Amazon and at iTunes. I'm not sure there's been a physical release (yet).

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I LOVE that album - there are so many brilliant tracks, and the production is 1st rate. If it's true she's got a new one coming, I certainly hope Brion is back at the helm. Love his production work.

13. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

She sang two songs on the Cy Coleman tribute album that came out last year. I particularly liked her version of "Why Try To Change Me Now?" I first heard it last year on an episode of House of all places.

14. StephenGR12

StephenGR12 Forum Resident

That is effing funny. But she can kill, man. Pure slayer.

15. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

I love EM but holy **** is the cd brickwalled. Does anyone know what the vinyl sounds like? I might have to pursue it.

Rick

16. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Dual disc. Not crappy. Cheap!

I have the vinyl somewhere, never played it yet.

17. Norm Apter

Great news! This is something I will really be looking forward to as the date approaches.

By the way, has Jon Brion just filled the role as producer for her in the past or that of backing/studio musician as well? Wondering if any of the clips I've seen of her TV performances (mostly late night talk shows) from the late 90s/2000 feature him.

At any rate, I consistently liked the live performances even better than the album cuts. They'd tweak it just enough live to give it that nice twist. Of course there's also something to be said for seeing Ms. Apple pour forth and emote, evoking a sense of immediacy that suits her songs particularly well. Like the guitar work as well in the live/TV studio setting. Anybody see her cover of Hendrix's "Angel" from a TV performance in the 90s (or perhaps in concert)? Pretty cool.

18. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Somewhat obscure and overlooked, she sings two tracks on the 2009 release, The Best is Yet To Come: The Songs of Cy Coleman.

19. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

yes, there are clips with him playing vibraphone if i'm not mistaken.

20. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Looks like 2011 is gonna happen , Can't wait!!

23. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I just picked up "...Machine," my first Fiona album. I think I like it. :)

24. Norm Apter

If you do like it, I would suggest at some point getting Tidal and When the Pawn, each of which I prefer over Machine (well at least the released version....in the case of Machine I actually prefer the unreleased version, but both are very good)

25. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

When will they officially release the unreleased version? Let me guess, the Deluxe edition? :)