What is Fiona Apple up to these days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Good guess :), and entirely possible

I don't know how much you heard about the tortuous production of this album, but in what I saw as a sort of Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot episode, the record company apparently wasn't satisfied with the first version, which Fiona had worked on with long-time collaborater, Jon Brion. Since Fiona Apple only produces an album once every four or five years (next one, if you read above, is slated for 2011, right about on time :D) there was a huge fan-based "free Fiona" campaign on the internet and, while that was going on, the original version leaked there as well, spreading far and wide. Fiona then went back to the studio, dumped Brion and reworked many of the songs into their final form. I had been listening to the unreleased version for several years before I heard the official one for the first time (last fall).

To me, the unreleased version sounds better (less busy and more direct) but that could be due to the fact that I liked it a lot and was used to it. I know others here prefer the official version you have. And, to confuse matters, I think I read that in retrospect Fiona actually finds the official version more to her liking. Go figure.

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Any updates on the alleged "spring 2011" album? We're getting close...

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some big music festivals get announced in the next 2-3 weeks. If something was ready it's likely her name woudl be on one of them.

4. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Matt Chamberlain has posted a couple tweets referring to participating in recording sessions with Fiona as recent as the beginning of February, so her new album release date is likely still at least a few months away.

http://twitter.com/Chamberdrums

5. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Is that Jon Brion on acoustic guitar on the Katrina relief show? Looks like him.

6. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

so was i :D

and that signature thing that used to bring the following i have trouble now even remembering...

around that time, she explained that she'd locked herself away in her apartment and isolated, uninspired and depressed... then she heard about the campaign and decided to re-commit herself to being "Fiona Apple" again... i hope i'm remembering this right, but that's the gist of it; she was genuinely moved by that campaign... she'd had no sense of how much she really is loved and was missed..... she is a humble girl...

i'm really looking forward to this new release.... it's going to bring me a lot of happiness, i know it..

7. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

She was holed up in her mother's apartment, watching "Columbo" reruns, remember?

Oh my gawd, Free Fiona feels like a lifetime ago. It's only been 7 years...

8. Mr X

Mr X Forum Resident

Some smart, some not so much...

9. George P

George P Notable Member

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Me too. :wave:

11. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Hopefully, staying as far away from a microphone as humanly possible.:righton:

12. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Laughing....

13. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

get your false t*ts outta my face and keep your negative opinion of my Fiona outta this thread..... thank you!! :thumbsup:

:D

14. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

So spring 2011 has come and gone, and no further word on Fiona's "impending" release? :cry:

15. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

The album has been recorded months ago but the release seems to be stucked in limbo for unknown reasons. Does it ring a bell? :eek:
    http://www.allmediany.com/details_article.php?art_id=1610

16. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

She needs to take the independent route and release it herself; either online or through a small label. Unless she has a real binding contract with Sony she can't get out of or she and/or the label thinks the songs aren't good enough (meaning commercial) and is sitting on it until it's rectified.

17. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

It sux that she's still stuck on Sony, instead of being able to put the new album out herself as a download.

18. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

I agree, I'd really like to hear some new stuff from her. I've always been very impressed with her work.

19. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Good one, pencilchewer!

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I'm looling for Pencilchewer. I'm his Apple!

Attached Files:

21. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

"his"?

22. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

23. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

Great news! At last!

24. Nice! I'm really looking forward to hear this one.

25. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I hope Jon Brion is the producer. I like the sounds he gets!