What is Fiona Apple up to these days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

When the pawn...
    11. Across the universe
    12 Never is a Promise [Live]

Extraordinary Machine
    13. Paper Bag [Live: Club Largo, Los Angeles CA]
    14. Extraordinary Machine [Live: Club Largo, Los Angeles CA]

The Idler Wheel...
    11. Largo

The Across the Universe is good; I suspect it's the same version as from the Pleasantville soundtrack.
    Speaking of Beatle covers, Fiona has a live cover of Let Me Roll It on youtube, recorded, iirc on Paul's 64th birthday.
    The live tracks are great, as is Largo. All fully up to her high standards! Are they worth your extra dollars? Only you can answer that (what are your dollars worth to you?). :)

The stray track I love best, though, is the Pure Imagination cover, which doesn't appear on CD, so far as I know, though ITunes is happy to sell it to you.

dee and mrjinks like this.
  2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks! I'm relieved to see they're mostly *just* live tracks. Largo was also on iTunes, and I agree about Pure Imagination. :thumbsup:
    There are also a couple "American Songbook" covers here:
    The Best Is Yet to Come: The Songs of Cy Coleman - Wikipedia, along with a few other various artists / soundtrack songs.
    And an original buried on a soundtrack...

oboogie, Rob Hughes and jon9091 like this.
  3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Thanks for the tip. I might give it a listen on YouTube, since I only found single tracks at 192 kBit here and there so far.

mrjinks likes this.
  4. mrjinks

Not About Love is the lead track on the earlier version and it's got a crazy string arrangement- I love it!

Here's a contemporary review of the unreleased version from The NY Times:
    The Lost Apple

wolfram likes this.
  5. mrjinks

6. mrjinks

Yet another recent outing, as Fiona pays tribute to Fats Domino with a sort of bluegrass “Ain’t That A Shame”:

She’s been busy - by her standards - lately. Let’s hope that means a new album is imminent (?)...

oboogie and Rob Hughes like this.
  7. mrjinks

8. Rob Hughes

9. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  10. Rob Hughes

This isn't what Fiona been up to these days, but it's what I've been up to these days: collecting some stray tracks.

What I'm curious about is that there are a bunch of Tidal-era CD singles that have otherwise unreleased tracks -- including quite a bit of a show at The Troubadour in West Hollywood CA, 10 Sept 1996. To wit:

Criminal US CD5:
    2. Sleep To Dream [Live: The Troubadour, West Hollywood CA, 10.09.1996]

Criminal Australia CD5:
    1. Criminal [radio edit]
    2. Slow Like Honey [Live: The Troubadour, West Hollywood CA, 10.09.1996]
    3. The Child Is Gone [Live: The Troubadour, West Hollywood CA, 10.09.1996]
    4. Never Is A Promise [Live: The Troubadour, West Hollywood CA, 10.09.1996]

Shadowboxer European CD5:
    1. Shadow Boxer [edit]
    4. Carrion [Live: The Troubadour, West Hollywood CA, 10.09.1996]

Sleep to Dream UK CD5:
    3. Sullen Girl [Live: The Troubadour, West Hollywood CA, 10.09.1996]
    4. Pale September [Live: The Troubadour, West Hollywood CA, 10.09.1996]

Are there any other live versions (or covers)? I know there's also a Sleep to Dream edit and apparently an edit of The First Taste, but I'm less interested in those.
    N.B.: Of the ten tracks on the Tidal album, seven appear live above (missing, so far as I know, live versions of: Criminal, Shadowboxer, and The First Taste)

anthontherun likes this.
  11. mrjinks

12. Rob Hughes

Also, out today: Echo in the Canyon, apparently a documentary soundtrack to the "California Sound," with all kinds of familiar players in the band.
    Vocals are by Jakob Dylan, who duets all the way through the album, including with Fiona Apple, Regina Spektor, Norah Jones, Cat Power, Jade Castrinos, Beck...
    Good taste in vocal partners!

The Dylan-Apple songs are In My Room (yes, a Beach Boys cover) and It Won't Be Wrong (Byrds!).
    You can find them on iTunes for download and probably all the other usual places.

Edit: the songs are downloadable on iTunes (probably elsewhere streaming), but it appears the CD won't be available for sale until the end of June.

mrjinks likes this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I wish her music videos would make it to DVD. Maybe the PTA ones could make it to full HD Blu-ray. I am aware that 2-3 of them made it to commercial DVD and some of the others are on a silver pressed promo DVD.

She's easily done enough covers over the years to fill an RSD album. Maybe even a double album.

oboogie and mrjinks like this.
  14. Rob Hughes

15. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

mrjinks and Lownote30 like this.
  16. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

She covered the Waterboy's "Whole of the Moon" which was used at the end of the showtime series The Affair, and has been uploaded to Youtube by various people; no official release yet.

17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Here’s her tune on the new Jeff Goldblum album:

dee and ZiltoidtheOmniscient like this.
  18. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this great song. Her version and The Waterboys original really added to an incredible final series episode that I just loved.

19. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

also, in my mind I was thinking the differences between what is thought of as the Brion version of Extraordinary Machine and the released version weren't that great but I gave it a listen last night and I was obviously wrong about that. They're completely different sessions. I'd love to hear the Brion versions actually finished (the ones out are apparently rough mixes) and while they're pretty interesting I'm not sold that they're 'better' than the released album which I think is exceptional. There was clearly something about the Brion sessions that wasn't working for her, even though it's difficult to suss out exactly what that might be when you listen to the leaked tracks.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  20. mrjinks

Fiona, a guy from the National, and Phoebe Bridges (?) updated Simon & Garfunkel’s Silent Night/7 O’clock news:

oboogie likes this.
  21. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

Rob Hughes, George P and mrjinks like this.
  22. mrjinks

George P likes this.
  23. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I saw her play percussion and backing vocals in a four piece band last year at a backyard party. It was pretty cool.

mrjinks likes this.
  24. Rob Hughes

25. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident