What is it with hipsters and cassettes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rocky's Owner, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air Thread Starter

Making mix-tapes or using old cassettes in a car stereo, for portability, is one thing. Deliberately sitting down at home to listen to the horrible fidelity of murky, hissy, wow-and-flutter filled cassettes is another matter.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Cassettes sounded fine if you bought good quality blank tapes and knew how to transfer.

3. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

You clearly misunderstand something about the enjoyment of music on a fundamental level which cannot be fixed. Just give it up and listen to your hi-rez streams off your PC hard drive and I'll continue to listen to my cassettes/vinyl/8 track/4 track/CDs/VHS/Laserdisc/etc

4. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

So bizarre and cool.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and you should enjoy every single moment! as it's always about the music....

6. Michael

exactly! and on a 3 head deck! paramount!

7. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Or not! Sometimes it's about looking at the cover art, cleaning and organizing your collection, perusing the racks at a record store, reading about the creation of your favorite album etc. Being a music lover is more than just loving the music.

8. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Newish tapes played on a decent deck with clean heads sounded great. Analogue goodness. Like you say though, the used tape market?? No thanks!

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What is about old farts and vinyl?

Cronverc and onlyacanvasky like this.
  10. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

And if 300 years ago you were some poor soul picking through the city's trash bins for your next meal and you happened to hear a choir performing Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" from inside a church three blocks away and you stopped transfixed with the glorious sound and completely unconcerned about how much better it was as it was being delivered to the Queen sitting in the best seat of the house, then it's like listening to a cassette....:)

11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I never really stopped buying cassette tapes ever since I started buying them in the early 1980s. I took great advantage of the cassette purge that started in the mid to late 90s as well as blank audio tape. I still have hundreds of cassettes even though I did purge some of them when I got the CD. The cutout bins were great in dept. stores and some music stores as well starting in the early 1990s for both cassettes and CDs. Even when I first moved here I was still finding many music cassettes and blank tape but this has diminished over the last few years. I hardly ever find any cassettes anymore. But I do find blank tape from time to time. The hipster cassette movement has definitely affected the market for buying used cassettes cheap especially online on eBay and eslewhere. Now they are inflated in price so I don't bother with them anymore. I've been taking advantage of the great CD purge over the last five years or so.

beccabear67 likes this.
  12. Michael

Indeed while one is playing their album! LOL ; )

13. Devin

Devin Time's Up

14. Michael

LOL! that's funny!

Devin likes this.
  15. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

I'm not a young hipster, even back in the 70s I would tape my records and play the tape in order to not hurt the delicate vinyl. Cassettes, even pre-recorded ones, can sound really good, especially the HX-Pro ones. I much prefer tape hiss to clicks and pops. Pressure pads are easy to replace, too - you can buy replacements on eBay. And just recently I spent $40 on an unopened cassette Citizen Steely Dan box, which sounds great. I rate media as CDs best, cassettes second, and vinyl a distant third.

16. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

For us of a certain age I think the skills and commitment used for that perfect mix tape translated to the care put into mix Cd’s and even now with digital playlists (just a glorified mix tape). As far as the OP and formats or descriptors...man as long as people are enjoying music they are 100 times better off than those not enjoying music.
    I trashed all of my cassettes about 4 moves ago and probably 5 years after I had a deck to listen on.....now suddenly I miss them lol.

edfom likes this.
  17. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

Ka-thunk!

Gaslight likes this.
  18. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

True. A lot of us are old fogies. :D

19. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Just an observation---
    I think those of us who grew up with cassettes, aren't necessarily disparaging or "dissing" hipsters or anyone else who is just getting into them. We just have a very different experience and perspective, and enjoy reminiscing about the downsides of this recording/playback medium. They weren't a cool retro novelty for us, they were one of just a few available options for portable listening and home-recording, and an imperfect and sometimes frustrating one at that.

keyse1 likes this.
  20. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Yeah, that’s what I wanna know. What the deal with those guys?

21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I deliberately sit down and listen to cassettes regularly, but horrible fidelity they definitely are not, not in my case anyway.

Again (never mind, I know you'll deliberately ignore what I posted due to the facts not fitting your narrative, but for people interested in a more objective take) see my post #202.

Exotiki, mikedifr0923 and B. Bu Po like this.
  22. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

And my experience has been the young hipsters want to talk to us old dudes but unfortunately many of us won’t reciprocate.

marc with a c and keyse1 like this.
  23. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

so either we are hipster Millenials or old farts

GOT IT!!

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  24. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

ummm... this thread is still a thing?

25. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Demagnetizing this contentious thread.

Brian Lux, MYQ1, vudicus and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.