What is The Beatles most technical song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Oct 18, 2022.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If it’s a matter of simply saying playing the correct notes and chords, I agree…not much to it. And in fact, that can apply to most Beatle songs. Duplicating the actual feel of the original recording (any recording, by anyone) can be an entirely different matter. Perhaps this is what @Robber Soul’s friend was more so referring to when he refused to play the song.

Lars Medley likes this.
  2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Here's my band doing it. For me, the tricky part was playing the straight beat and adding the overdubs(which has to be done on a fair few Fabs songs).

Dan

3. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

In case nobody has said it yet, for all their compositional quirks (especially John’s), technical complexity is very much beside the point of the Fabs’ music.

2141 and Rfreeman like this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nice job. One reason it is rarely done by 4 piece tribute bands is it has 3 guitar parts as well as a bass part - but you pull it off nicely without the rhythm guitar.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Very nice…quite enjoyed that.

longdist01 and nosticker like this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Is the keyboard playing the chords? I couldn’t tell.

7. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Yes, keys play one of the guitar parts. We got away with it!

Dan

8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Thank you!

Dan

longdist01 likes this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yes you did.:righton:

nosticker likes this.
  10. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

Was that a one-off? I never knew the Dead did that. Is there a version with better sound quality anywhere?

11. walrusz

walrusz Forum Resident

As far as harmony and chord structure I think "Because" is way up there for complexity.

Dradge and Mai Tem Baht like this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They did "It's All Too Much" a few times in 1995, Vince Welnick on vocals. There are probably some good board tapes.

Gary_Stewart likes this.
  13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

It's only three parts, overdubbed two additional times. It's a great George Martin arrangement, but consider something like Good Vibrations or California Girls...total next level stuff.

Dan

AngusStanley likes this.
  14. walrusz

walrusz Forum Resident

Yes only three parts...but the harmonic weaving of those three parts, and chord structure beneath (C#m D#m7b5 G#7/D# A C#m A7 A13 D Ddim7... etc) is not exactly kid stuff.

15. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

6 times yeah, there are good soundboard recordings of all 6 performances.

16. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Harmonically speaking Penny Lane is more complex than both of those songs.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  17. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Are you talking about intervals? I have no idea. But I've performed all four of those songs, and Cali Girls was, by far, the hardest to pull off. I'm usually playing catch-up with the real "singers" in the band. And the only time I did Because live was as part of Side 2 of Abbey Road, which was like running a marathon. Ha.

Dan

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I know enough about music to be awestruck by “California Girls” when a friend helped me figure out how to play it. Same deal with “I’ll Be Back.” I know enough about music to sort of get what John is doing with “is it A major?/is it A minor?” games of that song, but I never could have written it myself. Maybe he couldn’t have explained what he was doing or how he did it, but it’s a really, really clever, and, more importantly, pleasing to the ear, series of rather odd chord changes, at least by the standards of 99% of rock bands. The descending chromatic bit in the second “bridge” is a quintessentially “Lennon” device.

Luke The Drifter, Dradge and 2141 like this.
  19. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo

"A Day in the Life", when John sang the "ahhs".

20. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Don't go there lol, I was on the John train for decades until I heard it dry

Dradge likes this.
  21. Price.pittsburgh

It's been overwhelmingly Lennon songs mentioned on here, and yet he is usually cited as being far less complex musically than Paul. Or is that not the case and I'm just confusing complex playing structures with Paul's gift for melody? Another question, with all of these songs that are difficult to duplicate, why are The Beatles so often said not to have been very good musicians?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  22. Price.pittsburgh

Why would it make him lazy if it's difficult to duplicate?

23. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

The opening chord in A Hard Days Night.

They Live.

nosticker likes this.
  24. You misunderstand me, I meant that the choices undermine the notion that Lennon was a lazy songwriter who was prone to horizontal melodies etc. I suppose I got this idea comes from Revolution In The Head, the book about their studio recordings by Ian MacDonald, which is really good by the way. You hear it from Lewishon occasionally too.

Lars Medley likes this.
  25. Price.pittsburgh

Okay, yeah, I said the same thing just a few comments up from this one.