What is the best CD of the Joshua Tree?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Sanders, Dec 15, 2009.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, it’s different.

2. Moose1216

Moose1216 Forum Resident

Thanks. Are the levels posted on here somewhere?

Perhaps post #388 or #447?

3. Moose1216

Moose1216 Forum Resident

Searched high and low for this version on eBay....found it, started ripping it and it bombed out at One Tree Hill (disc was pretty scuffed). Up until then it matched the above for output. Not going to make a fuss over it for the $8...cost of searching for a decades old cd. But back to digging....

4. DigitalSupremacy

DigitalSupremacy Compact Disc warrior

Damn that really sucks to hear mate sorry about the poor luck. May I ask why you're searching for this pressing specifically?

5. Moose1216

Moose1216 Forum Resident

Largely just the chase. No reason other than curiosity and trying to get each mastering (digitally or physically)....I'm a big fan of the album.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  6. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Ah the chase. I am now on my fifth order trying to obtain the “light blue” master to complete the set!

danielbravo and Moose1216 like this.
  7. Moose1216

Moose1216 Forum Resident

Is that version hard to come by in the UK? With 97.0 level on Where the Streets? Seems like every version I try to get ends up being that one (just got another one today, in fact). Send me a PM if you're interested, I'll list it for 0.99 on eBay for you - basically just pay shipping (looks like $20 or so).

8. Moose1216

Moose1216 Forum Resident

Actually I was able to fix it. Took some rubbing compound to the cd and now it works with no issues. What'dya know!

ARK, DigitalSupremacy and vmanu2 like this.
  9. stillrockin

Yes it seems to be more of a US release from the chart of the various releases which was circulated here. And yes the light blue is the one with the 97.0 level. Thank you for your most kind suggestion. If my current import order turns out to be another coaster then I will be straight onto you. Well done for getting your own fix in, so to speak!

ARK and Moose1216 like this.
  10. stillrockin

And finally a light blue has arrived on these shores! I haven't done any A-B comparison yet on the various masters of this cd but I will say that the light blue sounds pretty nice and is certainly in no way inferior to the now expensive mobile fidelity master (or the UK nimbus or the sonopress).

Big thanks again to @Moose 1216 for the kind offer which I now do not need to take up!

BeatlesBop and Moose1216 like this.
  11. BlueMtn623

BlueMtn623 Active Member

Levels are the same as the light blue; the only difference is the length of song 9 and 10. I guess that may constitute a different mastering, but if you run both from the beginning, starting them at the same time, they are identical.

Moose1216 likes this.
  12. BlueMtn623

BlueMtn623 Active Member

It took 27 tries to fill out what seems to be the complete collection. Some much easier to come by than others....for the single samples (sans MSFL) I had to verify matrix codes with the seller to make sure I was getting the exact version. For others I just bought a slew of them on eBay thinking they may be one I already have or one of the harder to get versions (they're cheap).

Here's the breakdown:

Pink: 7
    Light Blue: 6
    Light Blue (alternate version): 3
    Yellow (Cinram France): 6
    Green (MPO France): 1
    Orange Festival Jpn for Aus: 1
    Unique Aus (not noted on color chart): 1
    Dark Blue (PDO UK): 1
    Grey MFSL: 1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  13. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

I checked UK versions I got recently...

Disctec with 01 in matrix - "pink" mastering - same case as with Disctec 03 which is seemingly second glass master as there was no 02 afaik

Nimbus (four dots after cat/no in matrix, "sticky" lacquer, wider mirror band) - "darker blue" mastering same as PDO UK in chart - this one I still didn't have before

Buddy asked to find him some non-remaster and preferably from 1987 Joshua Tree disc so I ended up buying these. Nimbus was initially what I planned to give, but it's different mastering so a keeper for me, and so the 03 Disctec will go since both Disctecs are same mastering and no real need to keep second one.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

But which one do you like the best? :cool:

15. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

100% agree. I found a copy for like $5.00 in an antiques store a few years ago. It sounded great, but alas, the draw of making 10 times my initial investment on resale won out, so I don’t have it anymore.

16. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

:yikes:

jmadad likes this.
  17. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

Which has the correct (or at least preferable) fades on tracks 7 and 9, the regular light blue or the light blue variant?

18. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

That one has the incorrect indexing.

19. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

Only track 7 has the fade edited on regular light blue (compared with pink and light blue variant).

You'd have to play them pretty loud to pick up the difference.

All these were made from the same digital source. Between pink and light blue someone messed with DC offset and extra treble was added to light blue in the digital domain.

SinnerSaint and Vincent3 like this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It’s been a while since I’ve compared these, but are they in fact the same A/D transfer? That was my recollection originally, but I could swear I checked later and noticed they don’t stay in sync.

21. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

The last six tracks stay in sync to the sample. The first five do not but they're also made from the same AD transfer. An engineer either went DAD or did weird things in the digital domain.

lukpac likes this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Odd. I probably just compared different tracks at different times. That does correspond to side 1 and side 2 though.

strippies likes this.
  23. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

It is odd. Maybe side 1 was done by a different engineer who for whatever reason favored routing the signal through an analog console.

24. Flyman1979

Flyman1979 Member

I own the Japanese pressing P24D-10053 (first pressing?) and did not find any comment about it. Does anyone knows if it is the same as the P35D?

25. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

"All U2's Japanese CD's up to that point were re-issued in September 1989 to coincide with the LoveTown tour at a lower price point."

Same (pink) mastering as the P35D.

Album details - Dynamic Range DB
    Album details - Dynamic Range DB

BeatlesBop likes this.