What is the best practice to remove the clicks/pops from the needle drops?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrilliantBob, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Not if you use the right software and know what you're doing. Cleaning your files takes a LOT of time, concentration, and dedication. In other words: obsession!

WDeranged, DTK, sathvyre and 3 others like this.
  2. Grant

You're welcome. But, for my needs, I really do need the pro version of Sound Forge. It offers so much more for my workflow.

Audio Cleaning Lab has a lot of surprises that come in very handy, but the tools are very cumbersome to use.

MYQ1 likes this.
  3. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Just wanted to ad that both Sound Forge Studio & Audio Cleaning Lab include Ozone 8 Elements.

& Magix gives you full unlocked programs of both with 30 day trials for free

Grant likes this.
  4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

You've missed my point i think unless you're saying you have software that does a pass over the file and cleans it for you, otherwise we're speaking the same language---removing offending clicks individually, obsessively.

5. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I heard about software that removed the "Centre picture" from a stereo recording, to make an instrumental/karaoke version.

I did wonder, if you had the exact opposite and removed anything that was not the centre picture, would you have a really good click removal?

I asked around and found exactly that, and it really does work!

6. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

Would you mind giving us the name of that software, please?

7. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I'll have to get back to you on that.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I use Shibatas and Microlines for CD-4 Quad LP discs, and for audiophile LP duty. .3 x .7 Elliptical for vinyl singles in the 1970's. And yes, there is still a terrestrial radio market.

9. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Is this the same as processing mid-side?

10. Grant

Well, what software do you use for restoration? I use:

Adobe Audition 3.1 ans CS5
    Sound Forge 10 Pro and Sound Forge Studio 12.6
    Ozone 8
    Click Repair
    RX and RX 7
    Audio Cleaning Lab

11. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I am still amazed at how well Adobe auditions automated de clicker works.

Grant likes this.
  12. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Listening to a rip I did of Rare Earth - Back to The Earth.
    Been working on it / playing around with it for the past 2 days.
    Man these speakers are thumpin' & roarin, sounds great!

GerryO likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have not tried every click removal sopftware out there, but I gather ClickRepair is a little different from many that came before. It may have been the first one that aimed to be completely non-destructive on transients / ambience, etc. They others were more destructive and made no claims otherwise. But maybe CR was simply the first good one that was priced for mass appeal.

Now, quite a while later, there are others in on the game, and more choices.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I just did Little Feat - Dixie Chicken from a 1973 Santa Maria palm tree, and it's rather rich and full body sound, MFSL never even topped this LP when they tried.

GerryO and MYQ1 like this.
  15. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I use iZotope's RX 7 Advanced and manually highlight the clicks and process with de-click as I listen through with headphones. In my opinion, this returns the best result as every time I've tried processing the entire track it has removed something I didn't want it too (usually snare hits or foley (think all of Pink Floyd's sound effects of TVs popping on and off)).

MYQ1 likes this.
  16. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

http://www.kagi.com/clickrepair/software_download/equalizer.html

This is the websitefrom the software on my laptop - My version is 1.5.5

I've not tried that website so buyer beware, etc - my laptop has various things like Minidisc download software that has no modern version so has not been updated for a long time.

17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Ignore that - the web link links to something strange - I don't know what.

OK, so it's part of "ClickRepair" by the look of it. The one I use (i.e. for Mono / middle picture isolation) is Equalizer

I think this is the current version of my previous link:

https://clickrepair.net/software_download/downloads_win.html

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Clickrepair is the best software I've found.

19. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Do you guys think that declicking tends to work better at higher sample rates?

20. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

To be honest, ClickFix is the best I've used, and it works perfectly on a full track scan, and then of
    course you need to manually remove any small ones it may have missed.
    However, it's limited as a plug in for Adobe Audition and Cool Edit (which I STILL use...).
    ClickFix for Adobe Audition and Cool Edit - Home

DTK likes this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The only shortcomings I've ever had issue with is the false positives on horns, and some electronic / synth parts of recordings. No issues with sample rates being lower or higher, but I only do 24/96 and 16/44.1 bitrates.

22. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

Is this still your workflow, or have you changed anything?

23. radioalien

radioalien We came in peace for all mankind

i used the defaults on Audacity and did not like what I heard

I listened to an intro with hi hat, and could hear a substantial amount of high end being chopped off~!

24. Grant

How many de-clicking programs have you used? There are much audio programs ones out there today.

For kicks, I tried re-installing my old ClickFix in Audition 3.1 under Windows 10 and it wouldn't work.

That's why you should use some other program and do not use default settings. Default settings are only provided as starting points.

I get that some people can't be bothered to sit there and work with the sound, but it's the only way to get good results.

25. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I use ClickFix in Cool Edit 2000 on my Windows 10 PC. Works fine, as it always has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.