What is the first CD or LP you pull out to test your stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DanG, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

In the late '50s when I was in 1st/2nd grade our teacher would play piano for the class from time to time. I don't know what kind/brand of piano it was but about 10 years later when I got a copy of Nazz's Nazz Nazz I immediatley recognized that piano sound on the track, A Beautiful Song. I no longer have the SGC LP but I do have the '84 Rhino LP and CD of that album. Even with the Rhino versions of the song I can use either the CD or LP in evaluating my system because I know what that piano should sound like, or at least what I think it should sound like, even if Rhino lost some of the detail in the process.

2. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Okay, okay, I hear ya! Maybe it's three or four notes, not just one. ;)

But really, once you hear the less-compressed JPN CD on your speakers,
    I predict that you won't want to play the 'regular' Abbey Road anymore
    (except to demonstrate to your friends how bad it sounds!).

As always, YMMV!!!

3. Andy

Andy New Member

Folk Singer used to be a MoFi anadisc, but now I've gone with the Classic version. If my original were in a little better condition I'd most likely use that one first.

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

So fabfourfan - are you recommending that I take up the Abbey Road offer I have been given? Will the Japanese CD version send me to fabfournirvana? I have heard mixed reviews - and my own personal experience with Japanese imports does NOT adhere to the general consensus.

(In explanation: I find the Japanese imports of "analog era material" to sound like muffled versions of "prime" US/European counterparts. I admit they lead the field in packaging, I know that they do not use digital noise reduction - but I have never heard a SUPERIOR SOUNDING Japanese release. They always sound like a casette tape to me - and while I respect that they are true to their master tapes - I think they were supplied poor masters, and they still sound like casettes).

I am asking for opinions beyond collectibilty. I am asking for opinions beyond "importi-tus". I am asking - what does it SOUND like?

5. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Uncle Al,

In this case, it sounds like a choice between an honest xfer of the old JPN tape,
    or a compressed, noise-reduced, and digitally 'improved' copy of a lower generation tape.

Frankly, it's nearly impossible to endure the 'regular' Abbey Road cd once you get tuned in to the 1983 cd. IMHO!

So, YES, you should get one to hear for yourself if someone is making the offer! :)

6. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member

I don't have a clue what is so good about Abbey Road, (Except for the music). I would take the 2nd or 3rd anthology CD's where you sometimes feel like your in the studio, hangin around while their recording.

But otherwise:
    Sheffield LAB 2: Ive got the music in me: to check if the cartridge can keep up with the voices.
    Jazz at the pawnshop: dynamics and stereo imaging.
    Way out west: to hear the air thru Sonny's sax.
    Maybe the sheffield drum record and/or track record to see how loud the system can go and still without distortion.
    Simon and garfunkels Bookends or Paul Simons Still crazy... to hear low level music.
    Some womens voices: Maybe Streisand or german Ulla Meinecke
    And dont forget:
    Love over gold from the dire straits.
    Somewhere down the crazy river, robbie robertson
    Sinatra sampler CD (I dunno the name now)
    Al di meola: Land of the midnight sun (I'm actually looking for a good LP version because I mostly play my favorite tracks from a ZOUNDS sampler CD which sounds a lot better than the original dutch LP)
    Time out
    Crime of the Century

7. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

LOL, actually I don't disagree with you about the AR disc, it certainly has it's faults. That was not the intent of my somewhat, tongue-in-cheek post. Anyway, when I built my subwoofer unit a few years ago (sealed w/Dynaudio 9"driver) it was the AR disc I used to try to tune the sub to. I used Come Together in the repeat mode over and over and after countless attempts I could not get the subwoofer to sound right. After I went to other means to get it tuned the way I wanted, I realized that Come Together on the AR disc was not that great, especially in the low end. If you can't make out the individual bass guitar notes, then something is wrong. I remember wanting the Japanese disc way before the domestic versions were available, but if I recall they were very, very pricey at the time (around $100?). I believe you about the better quality.

I do think what Uncle Al is saying certainly has merit too. That's kinda what I was alluding to in the above Nazz post. Familiarity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.