What is the first "hit" song you can remember hearing as a child?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Jun 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Completely forgotten this song. It was really popular with my local radio station for a few years after it was a hit, They'd play it several times a week. :)

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

:righton:

3. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

The Beatles 'She Loves You' live at the London Palladium 13th October 1963. I was being bathed by my mother in the living room in front of a coal fire with the tv playing a popular variety show. Suddenly that NOISE filled my tiny ears. Nothing was the same again.

RSteven likes this.
  4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Too long ago to remember but it was something by Elvis.

RSteven likes this.
  5. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Never get tired of hearing that tune.

RSteven and Grant like this.
  6. Baby you’re so excitable by Amazulu , I’ve never found anyone else who remembers them!

I must have crossed into a parallel universe at some point.

carlwm likes this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ironic given their biggest UK hit was Too Good To Be Forgotten. :)

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They can't imagine a world where if you wanted to watch a TV show, you had to adjust the antenna or "rabbit ears", as we called 'em. Maybe put foil on them. Or, how about a snowy picture, or a station signing off at midnight with "America The Beautiful". Yeah, we're old!:D

I was out with some people last night and one of them commented that no one they know knows any Beatles songs. How depressing!

Rock66 likes this.
  9. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

You came in strong.

10. Grant

That song came out when I was eight years old. I never knew who it was until the early 80s when I bought the Wings greatest hits album. I always thought the song was called "Hands Across The Water" like you did, but was frustrated when I found it wasn't Elton John. Well, he had that album "Madman Across the Water" that i'd see in the K-mart LP bind. I didn't know! I just heard the song on the radio in the mornings.

cjefferys and Guy Smiley like this.
  11. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Probably “Knock Three Times” by Dawn. I was 4 or 5. We had the record and everyone at home liked it. My mom took me out to buy records one day and I got today choose one. For some reason, I chose “Sweet City Woman” by the Stampeders. I count that as my first record (mom bought it but I chose it).

RSteven and Grant like this.
  12. Grant

Because you appreciated good music and didn't need no stinkin' lyrics to enjoy it.:thumbsup: I don't know what the youth today would do if they heard an instrumental. They are so used to singing or rapping over every second of the music today.

RSteven likes this.
  13. SmileyDude

SmileyDude Senior Member

"Barbara Ann" by The Regents. My parents had the 45 single (Canadian on APEX). I would have been about 2 years old at the time of release, and used to request the song by saying "play ba baa, play ba baa", Lol.

stratmel likes this.
  14. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Ob la di ob la da

15. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

The first song I remember as a favorite that I would hope to hear on the radio was Badfinger, Day After Day; guess I was 6 when that was a hit

Grant likes this.
  16. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Lily the Pink. I guess in 1968. I clearly remember Yellow Submarine as well but I suspect that was around the same time, i.e. a year or two after it came out.

17. lol

i did some googling out of curiosity and they seem to have credible post-punk roots prior to becoming a pop act. Like so many acts of the period I guess.
    I found a video from 1984 and they’re like a tighter version of late period Slits

carlwm likes this.
  18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I think it was a children's record and the one I remember was Big Rock Candy Mountain by Burl ives. I was probably about three or four.

19. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

"Jeremiah was a bullfrog, Was a good friend of mine..." Joy to the World by Three Dog Night. We were Baptists though, so I was always conflicted about singing the line "But I helped him drink his wine, And he always had some mighty fine wine..." Even at 5 years old, we understand a lot of the taboos in our world.

RSteven likes this.
  20. timind

timind phorum rezident

First thing that came to mind:

I was 6 or 7.

RSteven likes this.
  21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I remember watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan at 3 y.o., but the memory doesn't include an awareness of any particular song, as I'd never heard any Beatles song before that point and I was more captivated by the screaming girls in the audience at that moment. I only remember there was harmonising vocals, electronical guitars, drums, and wobbly mop heads poking out through the necks of Lord Fauntleroy suits. A few years prior to that, when I was only several months old, I remember hearing Patti Page's recording of "How Much is That Doggy in the Window?" playing whilst I was being given a bath in the kitchen sink by me Mum.

RSteven likes this.
  22. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine - 1966.

I was five years old and had just started primary school. We used to make up alternative versions to sing in the playground.

"We all live in a rotten tangerine"
    "We all live in a packet of margarine"
    "We all live in a tent on Ripley Green".
    "We all live in a palace with the Queen".

Those were the days (I remember that one too).

JumpinJimF and Crimson Witch like this.
  23. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Probably Help by der Beatles. The movie was on television all the time back in the 60's.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

I can definitely remember seeing the video for A Flock of Seagulls' "I Ran" when it was new, and I would've been four at the time.

25. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Probably something by Jim Croce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.