What is the single coolest Second in the history of Rock 'n' Roll?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jligon, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The last note on the Beatles Her Majesty. It's left hanging
    It goes dah but doesn't finish with da as in dah da. It always thought that it was purposely left like that to leave the door open for their return. So I just have to wait for the afterlife now.

Paul is Dead, Turn me on Dead Man.

2. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member

The First zeven notes of Smoke on the water
    The first five notes of Whole lotta love
    The first zeven notes of Wholo lotta rosie

I'm gonna start another topic!

3. Evan

Evan Senior Member

The opening of sympathy for the Devil. The drums give me goose bumps. Also, on Men at Work’s “Who can it be Now?”, the line “there’s nothing wrong with my state of mental health” has always seemed cool to me. When I was a teen, I played the record as much as my mom would allow, which wasn’t much :mad:
    Now that copy is still in my collection and near mint. Sometimes parents really do know best :)

4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

-Elvis snarling the opening line of "Hound Dog"

-The count-in to "I Saw Her Standing There" (even though it **was ** spliced from another take!)
    -Paul Burlison's fuzz guitar threatening to careen out of control on the Rock-n-Roll Trio's "Train Kept a' Rollin'"

-Little Richard's opening to "Tutti Frutti"

-The amazing organ riff in "96 Tears"

-The slippery bass & horn groove of "Cold Sweat"

-Keith Moon's drum breaks in "Happy Jack"

...and on an entirely different (yet related) note:

-Big Daddy's version of "Welcome to the Jungle", and

-The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain's version of "Wuthering Heights"

Both examples of pure (if twisted) genius.

-Kevin

5. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

Sticking by the rules, I vote for Carl Perkins "Go Cat Go!" from Blue Suede Shoes.
    That's approximately a second.
    Otherwise, another vote for the first second of "I Feel Fine".

Go to two seconds and I'll take the very beginning of "The Who Sell Out" - bah dump! MUUNNDAAYYY!!

One phrase - Joel nailed it. "AWOPBOP......."
    I mean Kevin.

6. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

Axel F

7. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Many of you have already named some great ones that would be on my list as well. Some others that come to mind:

Crashing guitar sound solo on "In The Evening" - Led Zeppelin; In Through The Out Door

Missile cruising from one speaker to another and then erupting into huge explosion on beginning of "Little Black Book With My Poems" - Pink Floyd; The Final Cut

On the video of "The Kids Are Alright" at the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again" Keith Moon's drum solo leads into Roger's screaming vocals as Pete slides across the stage in slow motion-incredibly cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

8. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

There's this little scraping noise that appears periodically in "Satisfaction" during the main riff that completely makes the song for me. Wish I was knowledgable enough to describe it adequately, but it's one of the transcendent little moments in rock and roll for me.

Jay

9. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

-BW's falsetto on the Surf's Up demo
    -The moment the strings enter on Love's Alone Again Or
    -The solo in Bold as Love always makes me glad to be alive
    -The 5/8/70 Jimi Machine Gunman (Aud tape, Norman Okla). Jimi dedicates Machine Gun to the deceased Kent State students and then plays a completely unique 90 second solo improvisation that is one of the most haunting pieces of music I've ever heard.

Chris

10. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

A few more quick ones that just came to mind, all from The Band (since the Beatles have already been taken) -- Garth's intro to "Chest Fever" from Music From Big Pink, Levon's high hat fill on "King Harvest" (e.g., between "Corn in the fields, listen to the rice as the wind blows cross the water" and "King Harvest has surely come come") from The Band, and Robbie's intro (including false start) to "Mystery Train" from Moondog Matinee

Jay

11. Mike

Mike New Member

Ozzy biting the head off a bat at a record company meeting. Musically speaking, hmmm, the hiccuping sound Steven Tyler makes right at the climax of Milk Cow Blues. That's rock 'n roll!

12. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

"I've got blistuhs on my finguhs!!"

13. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The first second of any song performed live by Jimi Hendrix.

Cat

14. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

Speaking of Jimi, I liked when he and the band start playing "Sunshine of Your Love" on the BBC compilation and the host starts to shoosh them off the air. That is a humorous second.

15. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Hmmm...

Well, for me, the first thing that comes to mind right this moment is the HOWL John Lennon lets out just before George's hot guitar solo in the middle of "Slow Down". John let his cords rip many times on various other Beatle performances, but this one especially sounds like all the emotions one can possibly have...all at one moment in rock 'n' roll...

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

For me it would have to be Buddy Holly's intro to "Rave On". When I first heard that (in 1977), the guy had already been dead for almost 20 years. What an amazing way to say "Well The".

Check it out on the CD:

"Ah well ah hell ah the uh little things you say and do..."

Totally cool for 1958, eh?

17. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Sitting in silence for 20 seconds, waiting for the tonearm to pick up, after digesting what is probably the Beatles greatest masterpiece, Abbey Road. The opening crash of, the uncredited on the LP jacket, Her Majesty. (Actually, what I later found out was the ending crash of Mean Mr. Mustard.)

18. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

Opening seconds of Baba O'Riley....impossible sounds which demand your attention and harken the beginning of one monster album.

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

That guitar break in "Got To Get You Into My Life" is so cool :cool:.

Also up there are:

Ray Charles singing "Whooah, whooah [falsetto], Georgia......."

Ray's piano break in "Your Cheating Heart"

Patsy Cline singing the last two words on "Faded Love"

The "Ahhhhhhhhh-Ahhhhhhh" that takes you back into the verse after the first chorus in "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" is magical (particularly in the mono mix) - strangely it doesn't have quite the same effect after the second chorus.

I always loved this song and recently decided to try and sing the intro - it's not nearly as easy as it sounds!

I think it goes more like this:

"A-we'-a-he'-a-hell, the little things......."

:)

20. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

The opening drum beat for Zep's "When The Levee Breaks" -- that INCREDIBLE
    echo-y/reverbed kick (?) drum. Still gives me chills.

The 'return' to the Contours' "Do You Love Me" after the false fade (actually, the DC5
    version works as well).

The ending of the Sex Pistols' "EMI" where Lydon snarls "A&M."

Finally, to paraphrase something written in 1967 by Paul Williams in Crawdaddy
    Magazine, the absolute best one second in music is that second of anticipation
    just BEFORE your favorite single or album begins.

21. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

My Pick - The intro to Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum

22. pjrashid

pjrashid New Member

I groove through the whole song of "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys"...the coolest electronics and the best intro ever!:cool:

23. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

I think that is the sound of the late Chris Wood's saxophone being played through some kind of electronic processor.

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

"Missile cruising from one speaker to another and then erupting into huge explosion on beginning of "Little Black Book With My Poems" - Pink Floyd; The Final Cut "

Just to pick a nit, that's from "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert" from THE FINAL CUT. Love that little reverb drenched buh-buh after "Daddy, What'd you leave behind for me?!" on Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1. Cool thread.

25. pjrashid

pjrashid New Member

Love that sound!!

Oh, I forgot that I wore out the 4th side of Quadraphenia starting with "Dr. Jimmy" and all the way to ending with "Love Reign 'Oer Me"...Excellent!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.