What Is/Was Your Favorite Sitcom?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stever, Mar 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Damn!

And I was gonna take her home to meet my mom!

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yup, it would be either banned or ignored. Why? Because many things discussed on that show are still considered taboo today:

abortion
    rape
    race
    religion
    homosexuality
    unemployment
    birth control
    racial slurs
    war
    draft doging
    women's lib
    bigotry
    sexism
    politics
    flushing toilets

In other words, most opf the stuff you can't discuss on this website.

People argued. Before AITF one could not say the word "pregnant" on American TV.

BTW, about eight years ago, Norman Lear created a CBS show that was just like AITF, except with a Black family, and the son was married to a White woman. The show starred Sherman Hemsley. The show lasted tow or three episodes before being cancelled. I guess America was still too misty eyed over that phony Cosby Show to care.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I never got to see Rutland Weekend Television, I don't think it was ever run on PBS in the States. I do have fond memories of Palin and Jones' Ripping Yarns, however! Been a long time since I've seen "The Testing of Eric Olthwaite" (the most boring man in Britain--even his father pretended he could only speak French, so he wouldn't have to talk to him!):laugh:

4. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

:thumbsup: Oh yes :D they are amongst my favo(u)rites as well I got the DVDs as soon as they came out

"..and my mum used to make black puddings so black even the white bits were black" :laugh:

"It were caused by a minute flaw in the brass inlaid handle :
    "What, a Spear & Jackson with a minute flaw in the brass inlaid handle, unbelievable"

"But my main hobby is precipitation" :D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All the best - Andrew

5. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Andy Griffith Show (B&W)
    Dick Van Dyke Show
    Beverly Hillbillies (B&W)
    Seinfeld
    Simpsons
    Keeping Up Appearances
    Fawlty Towers
    All In The Family
    Odd Couple
    Flinstones

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Great explanation Grant!

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Hard to believe today, but when the episode with the flushing toilet aired some people thought it was the end of civilization.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I can't think of an American film that even showed a toilet on screen prior to Psycho in 1960. This was mentioned in the Psycho documentary by (IIRC) the screenwriter. I was sure he was wrong, but I couldn't think of one.

Regards,

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Hitch was probably the only one who could get away with it in that era. With any other directory, I think it would have been censored out.

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I'd looove to see this sometime! They were great commedians!!!

11. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Can be found on the TVLand network on cable or DirecTV. Do they have that in Canada?

Jay N.

12. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The Young Ones-To me, easily the funniest thing to ever be on television. It was incredible what they were able to get away with, and say. With everything they packed into each episode, I can understand why it only lasted for twelve episodes. Thank God this has finally been released on DVD!!

Benson-I've heard a lot people mention "Soap" but I always liked the spin-off better. Robert Guilluame was great and I always loved the witheringly sarcastic things he would say to others on that show. I also loved the adversarial dynamic between him and the housekeeper Ms. Krause(Inga Swenson).

Family Ties-This is a show that started off kinda so-so but really picked up steam as it went along. I thought it really hit it's stride about the third season. My favorite episode is the one where the parents go out of town for the weekend and Mallory wrecks the car. Alex figures out how to raise the money to fix it by renting out rooms in their house to people attending a college football game. A great comedy of errors, and when Steven comes back early from his trip and sees what they've done to the house, and the confrontation afterwards is so hilarious!!

The Cosby Show-Have to mention this one, because this is where I was every thursday night for the first five years this was on. Watching some of the old episodes again recently though it's little dated, it's still very funny.

Bewitched-This is something I watched in re-runs growing up, and it's only as an adult I've realized how much was going on in this show in front of the camera and behind the scenes. Compared to most 60's sitcoms the humor is very sharp and sometimes quite subversive. Again I love the friction between Endora and Darrin, and the rest of Samantha's crazy family. Not to mention the fact that Elizabeth Montgomery was hot and very funny!!!:love:

13. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

My all time favorite is ALL IN THE FAMILY.

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Seasons 2, 3, and 4 are probably the peak of the series. Seasons 1, 5, 6, and 7 are also quite good. Then the decline starts. Season 10, when Mike Scully takes over as producer, is when things get especially bad. Subtle humor, characterization, and obscure in-jokes are gradually replaced by slapstick and crudity. The episode where Homer gets raped by a panda bear is when I stopped watching.

15. Michael

Do ya have the AITF 1st and 2nd season DVD box sets? If so, how are they?

16. Matt

Matt New Member

I didn't see the show because it looked really, really stupid, but the teasers for the Pitts say it was created by the writers of the Simpsons. From the looks of it, I'd guess it was created by all the writers that jumped aboard in the last couple of seasons.

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I believe you can get TVLand by a 'grey market' satellite dish. I'll have to ask my friend who has one!

Thanks!!!

:nauga:

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I picked up the second season. The picture is good, but the audio is VERY low, for some reason. I'll pick up the first season sometime.

I was wondering about the Sanford & Son and Good Times seasons.

Michael, didja ever imagine that one day we could all own a television series?

I want the "Three's Company" and "The Brady Bunch" series on DVD next.

19. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Batman
    Get Smart
    Gilligan's Island
    MASH
    Policy Story??? (short-lived comedy series starring Leslie Nielson)
    Northern Exposure

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That was Police Squad (in Color). Only 6 episodes. An excellent show, much funnier than the Naked Gun films which were based on it.

21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Oh, I can't believe I forgot about Police Squad! I loved the ending credits where they just stood still instead of using a freeze-frame. :laugh:

Thanks for remembering the "in color" bit, too! :D

22. Michael

When I was a kid I used to dream about owning my favorite TV shows! Don't ya just love it...

23. I'm getting in late, so some of the picks here have already been taken.

Monty Python's Flying Circus (thank you CBC for showing it back in 1969!)
    Fawlty Towers
    The Goodies
    Two Ronnies
    Sports Night (nice to see it on DVD now!)
    Late Line
    Another of those under appreciated shows that never found its audience, probably because NBC kept yanking it, and moving it around and stuff
    Square Pegs
    Seinfeld
    Larry Sanders Show
    News Room (Canada's answer to Larry Sanders)
    Arli$$ (Sandra Oh :love: )
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Spitting Image :thumbsup:
    Young Ones :thumbsup:
    Alexsi Sayle's Comedy Hour
    Harry Enfield and Chums
    Enfield started in U.K. comedy with such characters as Stavros, the Greek kebab seller, "Get out of my shop, you Kuwaiti tanker!" :laugh: and Loads-a-Money, the vulgar Tory Yuppie, "I've got loads-a-money!" :laugh: , on Channel 4's Saturday Night Live in the late 80's.
    Dad's Army
    Doctor In The House
    Alas Smith And Jones
    Rising Damp (starred Leonard Rossiter, Frances de la Tour, and the late Richard Beckinsale, father of actress Kate Beckinsale. Rossiter has the distinction of being in two Stanley Kubrick movies, 2001 and Barry Lyndon.)
    Made In Canada
    This Hour Has 22 Minutes
    Talking To Americans
    Not Necessarily The News
    Too bad we never got "Not The 9 O'Clock News" here. I was talking with Graham Chapman back in 1982-83 when he was touring his one man show along with Python video clips and he told me at the time that PBS was supposed to pick up the series. Guess they never did.

A friend of mine from the U.K. would like to add
    Only Fools And Horses (says it's one of the best British comedys ever)

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

IIRC, John Belushi was filmed for the last episode, but he passed on before the episode was supposed to be aired. I think that he played a dead man in a swimming pool?

The Simpsons used to be the funniest show on television (Seifeld a close second), but I agree it got very crude, Homer got to be too dumb, and it relies too much on the lewd and the crude instead of the brilliant timing and unexpected punchlines. The Simpsons have succumbed to using the same type of gags that they used to lampoon.

I haven't picked up any of the DVDs yet, but at one time I had taped every episode. I would play them back and look for the quick sight gags, signs, etc. that had to be freeze-framed to comprehend.

M*A*S*H was great except for the last few seasons. I guess that in order to pay the large cast salaries they must have cut back on camera operators and outdoor shots. Each episode looks like it was filmed on a set, there were fewer inventive episodes (ie the documentary episode, the "real time" episode, etc), Hawkeye's Groucho Marks quips turned into sour apples, I could go on......

other favorites:
    Fawlty Towers
    Cheers
    Square Pegs
    Futurama
    Andy Griffith Show
    Leave It To Beaver (believe it or not, teenagers today still behave quite similar to Wally, The Beav, and Eddie Haskell)
    The Monkees
    Get A Life
    WKRP

I'm sure I'll think of about a dozen more after I hit the Post Reply button. :)

It is very depressing how most sit-coms now rely on the easy laugh. Very few shows work very hard for a joke. The other night I tried watching Friends and Will and Grace. Every 2 out of three jokes was sex oriented, which doesn't offend me as much as the fact that the joke WASN'T FUNNY!

There is no such thing as a clever double entendre any more, it seems. Heck, there isn't even a funny Single entendre anymore.
    I'll stick with TV Land for a while. At least on Andy Griffith you can laugh at the characters and their interactions. There weren't really many jokes on the show! I'd rather watch a Black and White Barney Fife accidently lock himself in the jail cell than a High Defintion Will +Grace character (name?) rub a large black pepper grinder on his face while making a phallic reference.

25. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Fawlty Towers (perfection)
    Dick Van Dyke Show
    Bewitched
    The Jeffersons
    Cheers
    Seinfeld
    The Simpsons
    Friends
    News Radio
    Sports Night (was it a comedy?)