What is your BEST flea market find ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by white wolf, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know you probably go looking for a copy of Yesterday & Today w/ a dark V to the right of Ringo - only to find someone picked it up 5 minutes before you got there. But there are treasures in them thar markets. Recently, I picked up a MFSL gold copy of SANTANA's first CD for $2. I also found a promo copy CD (Warner) of George Harrisons "Live In Japan" album for $3. Wilbury's are still findable although Volume 1 is much tougher that Volume 3. Anyone who likes video would be pleased with Glenn Frey Live In Dublin for $3 and how about a near mint "Yellow Submarine Movie" on VHS tape for $5. Oh yes - a SEALED Highwaymen VHS tape for $2 - (Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash - good concert by the way) My friend Alan, bought a scrapbook of BEATLES clippings from the 60's for $10 only to find two TICKET STUBS on one of the pages. I missed an original VJ copy of Introducing the BEATLES because I thought it was a boot. When I went home I looked it up and found it was actually an original. By the time I got back it was gone - Oh well you can't win them all. There's more, but I would love to hear what you have been finding.

2. WHERE ON EARTH is this magical Flea Market you speak of? Your profile only says "United States". :confused:

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Beast Of The Bonzos by The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band (the one with the cartoon fireplug on the cover) for fifty cents. My introduction to the band after hearing about them for years.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Over Under Sideways Down-Yardbirds(original LP)
    MFSL Waiting For Columbus-Little Feat
    Straight Up-Badfinger(US Apple LP)
    Swedish Schnapps/Parker With Strings-Charlie Parker(Japan Verve reissues with OBI)

All bought, mint, at the same yard sale for fifty cents each.

....and have many other similar finds as well....

Evan

5. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

He doesn't want us to find him and steal his great Flea Market finds! ;)

6. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I found the following (over the past 15 years):

Satanic Majesties Request LP w/ 3d cover and inner sleeve intact, near mint for $5.
    Imagine - Inner sleeve intact, poster and postcard (non-pig) for $3. Cover was worn, but substituted a better cover later.
    70's Broadway Tommy in box - 50 cents. It was in pretty good shape for that price.
    Pipeline, Chantay's - $1 on original Downey label. It was a little worn, but still clean.

7. Some of the great vinyl find:

White label promo of Led Zeppelin II, Van Morrison Astral Weeks.
    Neil Young's first album without his name on the cover.

8. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

In 1985, I bought a still sealed vinyl MFSL Pink Floyd DSOTM at a garage sale for 25 cents!!!!!! :cheers:

Another incredible score was a mint Eico ST70 tube amp for $10 in 1986, only thing wrong with it was the fuse holder was broken off the back of it. :edthumbs:

-Aaron

9. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I should edit that - its too obvious. No - I just sort of breezed through the registration and when I get a little time I will do some more editing of my profile. I am in South Florida ( where Hurricane Francis is heading toward ) And we have quite a few flea markets. I also go to yard sales which happen year round. A really great flea market called the Wagon Wheel can be found on the West Coast of Florida in Clearwater ( next door to Tampa ). The one I usually frequent is at a local drive in theatre - open on Saturday and Sunday in the little town of Lake Worth. I also hit the one in Fort Lauderdale from time to time. This isnt music related, but I found the first Hallmark Star Trek Ornament at the Fort Lauderdale market for $10. It sells on Ebay for $150+ even in non mint condition. We also have some nice used CD shops up and down the coast which I check from time to time. Most of my CDs have been purchased used, either at yard sales, the flea market or used CD shops. I have about 800 CDs in my collection - mostly stuff from the 60's but with a nice mix of 70's through current. Ive replaced most of my vinyl with CD either factory issue or by tranferring the record to CD. The vinyl probably sounds better, but I cant take records in the car.

10. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

Led Zeppelin Complete Studio Recordings CD box for Cdn $70. There wasn't a thing wrong with it but I couldn't afford it at the time. Ended up buying it later for $150.
    Bob.

11. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I found a 45 of "Superman" by The Clique (covered later by REM). It was 50 cents or something. I found some Johnny Cash records on Sun, but I have no idea if they're reprints or originals.

12. lynnm

lynnm New Member

A sealed Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Paid C$10.00 and resold on Ebay for U$76.00 ( Flea market )

Dynaco Pat4 and ST120 C$4.00 ( Yard Sale ).
    400 LPs C$50.00 ( Yard Sale ).
    Marantz 2220B C$10.00 ( Yard Sale ).
    Walnut RS Minimus 7s C$2.00 ( Yard Sale ).
    Bose Wave Radio C$3.00 ( Yard Sale ).
    1984 Class C Motorhome $6000.00 ( Yard Sale ). Current value C$12000.00 +/-
    650 LPs C$150.00 ( Yard Sale )

These were spread over several seasons - Lots of Saturdays there is little or nothing of real interest. This past Saturday I hit 20 yard sales and bought absolutely nothing.

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I never find software of any kind that is 1) valuable 2) interesting or 3) not seriously scratched or damaged.

Hardware (receivers, TT's, etc.) are another story but prices have been climbing in recent years and there are very few bargains out here in my neck of the woods. :(

14. Chuck the Writer

Chuck the Writer New Member

Couple of years ago, in a box of musty old 45's that my grandmother acquired "all for a dollar" in her yard sale hunts, were a red vinyl Sonny Terry Trio "Hootin' Blues," and an orange vinyl Chubby Checker "Let's Twist Again." Swank.

15. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

hmmm....today I found 176 rock 8-tracks for $18, including every led zep (including the rare Coda), every Hendrix, plus loads of Dylan, Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Elton, Bowie, Clash and so many more!
    I've also gotten:
    Introducing the Ronettes featuring Veronica for $1
    Skip Spence-Oar original in shrink and near mint $1
    Buffy Sainte marie-Illuminations quadraphonic reel $2
    Them - 1st album mono near mint $5
    and oh so many more :)

16. two Roy Loney (ex-Flaming Groovies) lp's in VG+ cond for 50¢ each - yard sale.

Straight Up - Badfinger US Apple lp NM 50¢ Church resale shop

Jan & Dean Meet Batman - mint minus lp $1 - friends of the library sale

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield - white label promo MONO mix 45 - 25¢ - yard sale

wooden UK Decca logo box of lp's - included mono Meet The Beatles and Introducing The Beatles along with 23 other lps - $8. The case is incredible, I guess it was meant for the serious classical collector. - yard sale

Fisher Quad receiver - $10 - yard sale. It eventually died, but it took about 5 years to do so. 2 headphone jacks - one for the "rears" one for the "fronts"

'65 vintage Silvertone guitar with tube amp - $50 - yard sale. It looked like a semi-hollow Gretch, and like an idiot I did not buy it. I was really broke folks!

17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Well, I'd have to venture in my case, the original 1967 ABC Records single of Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World" (as opposed to A&M's 1987 re-release to tie in to the Good Morning Vietnam soundtrack), which I'd gotten for $1 or $2. Another time, I found (for roughly the same price) a very first pressing of Sammy Davis, Jr.'s "The Candy Man" on MGM with label copy type that had been used on pressings since the late 1940's (but type of which I haven't seen a subsequent pressing of this particular 45). There may have been a few others, but the details have become fogged with time. Alas, where I live in New York, there are slimmer and slimmer pickin's as to record finds at flea markets as opposed to, say, 5-10 years ago.

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Brook Benton's "It's Just a Matter of Time" album for a dollar.

19. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

A bunch of quadraphonic open-reel tapes, mostly unused, in 1984.

20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Without question, my best flea market find was about 10 years when I picked up for 10 bucks an original printing of this beautiful Winterland "Blue Rose" poster.

21. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Original Little Black Egg by the Nightcrawlers Lp on Kapp for a quarter. Original pressing The Seeds debut album for a quarter. Still sealed original LP copies of New Improved Blue Cheer and The Original Human Being by Blue Cheer for a dollar each. Mighty Baby original vinyl Lp(terrific psych) for a dollar. The Bonniwell Music Machine still sealed for a dollar. An original still sealed copy of the Ain't She Sweet album by the Beatles which I later traded for about $400 of rare 60s garageband 45s. The Merry-go-Round album with Emitt Rhodes on Dunhill partially sealed for a quarter. Stone cold mint copy of the "Hi, Wer'e The Miracles" album by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles for a dime. Crazy Times Lp in beautiful mint condition by Gene Vincent for 50 cents.

22. peerke

peerke Senior Member

a suitcase full of Beatles stuff for 40£: pictures, tickets, Mal Evans diary, John Lennon's diary, Paul McCartney's birth certificate, a guitar hand-signed by George two days before his death,a lock of Ringo's hair, a half eaten sandwich from Ringo...

Only joking! ;)

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

sounds more like a garage sale than a flea market!! :laugh: :laugh:

24. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Harpo Marx's Harpo At Work 1958 Mercury mono version, excellent shape, for a quarter at a senior citizen's center flea market at the mall.

25. Kubrick

Kubrick Forum Resident

Years ago (before the Sundazed re-issue) I stumbled upon a mono Dylan Blonde On Blonde. There was some wear on the cover, but when I removed the albums...other than a few fingerprints, they looked great. I asked the guy how much he wanted...$3. I couldn't pass it up and I'm glad I didn't. It sounds great. It also has all of the photos on the gatefold...I didn't know about that until years after the fact of buying it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.