What is your dream box set that doesn't (yet) exist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Aug 17, 2018.

1. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all,

What is your dream box set, that doesn't exist - or at least not yet?

I have a few:

George Harrison: Here's a guy who had a full blown studio at his own house. You would think there would be tons of unreleased material in the vault for a huge box set. C'mon Olivia, release this stuff! Maintenance on Friar Park can't be cheap!

Van Halen: I have always imagined 2 box sets from them, one of the Dave years and one of the Sammy years. Both full of unreleased studio outtakes, alternate takes, demos and live material. I'd love to see this happen, but I kind of doubt it ever will.

Yes: I loved the live box set of the '72 tour from a few years ago. I'd love to see box sets like that focusing on other tours as well, provided there are good recordings out there.

Joe Pass: It always seems like they are releasing huge treasure troves of previously unreleased - and previously undiscovered - material from older jazz guys. I really, really wish there would be a huge discovery of unreleased Joe Pass material like that. He's one of my top 5 guitar players ever, and I'd buy that in a second.

Thin Lizzy: Around 2012 there was an announcement that they discovered a bunch of unreleased recordings and were going to release them in a box set. Now it seems like that has been all but forgotten, and unfortunately because of legal wrangling it seems like the project has been shelved. As a huge Thin Lizzy fan I have been hoping against hope, even after all this time that by some miracle it might get released. Sometimes Scott Gorham has been asked about this, and he has said that the tracklisting has already been determined and it should be 5 discs of material. But, because of all the red tape, I think there are greater chances of seeing Phil Lynott and Gary Moore coming back to life than there are of this box set seeing the light of day.

So what are your dream box sets?

2. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

Govt Mule box Japan mini lp cd

ARK, mikedifr0923 and LoveandTheft like this.
  3. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Brian Eno -- the 1970s box set. All four vocal albums and the ambient records that came out, demos, outtakes, etc

reiger, Icethorn, Galeans and 25 others like this.
  4. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

While there might not be much unreleased beyond Pete's demos and maybe the other night at the Filmore, but a Super Deluxe Edition of The Who's Sell Out album would top my list .

Rock66, Colinjpush, DocShipe and 13 others like this.
  5. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I think eventually Fagen will agree to the release of a box set of Steely Dan's fabulous demos, outtakes, and unreleased songs, but I don't want to wait!

Kundalini, ARK, Icethorn and 29 others like this.
  6. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

A Super-Deluxe Who's Next collecting all the errant Who Lifehouse-related recordings in one place. Finally.

7. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

KATE BUSH COMPLETE with SURROUND SOUND

8. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Van Dyke Parks. Everything, studio albums, soundtracks, sessions, productions, demos, everything.

Or just a super deluxe Song Cycle. There must be a ton of works-in-progress, demos and stuff.

9. My Bloody Valentine: The Pre-Creation Years

10. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Billboard top 10 pop, 1967-1973.

Dyland, bluejimbop, Michael and 6 others like this.
  11. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Chris Rea Vault....1981-1998, Prince-level quantities of material I reckon.

John Prine outtakes

Rod Stewart Sessions 2....assuming the rest of the rhino reissues will never happen, just put all the unreleased tracks from them onto one set.

12. County50

County50 Forum Resident

All those new songs Gregg Allman always said he was writing...

ARK and longdist01 like this.
  13. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Miles Davis - Bootleg Series from the 1975 tour

Absjc, mynameischet, BradB and 29 others like this.
  14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy box set;

Disc 1 - the remixed version of the 2008 album itself; Axl stated in 2014 it was finished.

Disc 2 - the Roy Thomas Baker sessions; according to Tom Zutaut, they had at least 12 tracks as good as finished before Axl had him (Zutaut) ousted in November 2001 (Baker followed him out the door in February 2002). Likey only needing a final mix.

Discs 3 and 4 - tracks finished by the band prior to the Vegas residency, only needing a final mix.

Discs 5 and 6 - best live material from the nu-GN'R era.

All packaged in a nice digipack box with a softcover book containing photos, unused artwork, etc.

I'd get that sucker on day one if it ever happened...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    ARK, andy75, Smokin Chains and 19 others like this.
  15. Audiophile vinyl box of Supertramp studio albums up top and including Famous Last Words.

16. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

The Beatles in mono :D

17. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

R.E.M. - there's definite scope for a comprehensive collection of all their pre- Murmur recordings. Basically an expanded version of the 'Chronic Murmurings' bootleg, from original sources of course. That would be great!

ARK, Koabac, jalexander and 18 others like this.
  18. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I so want a Bee Gees 1970-1974 Box Set

• Cucumber Castle
    • 2 Years On
    • Trafalgar
    • To Whom It May Concern
    • Life In a Tin Can
    • Mr. Natural
    • bonus previously unreleased album--A Kick In the Head is Worth Eight in the Pants
    • bonus dvd of Australian and/or Japanese concerts from same era.
    • Outtakes and demos from these albums

19. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’d like to see a proper Tangerine Dream box set.

20. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

James Taylor
    No box ever yet
    Why?

21. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

ABBA - The Complete (!!!) Studio Recordings, flat transfers from the original mixdown tapes !!!

22. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

With 5.1 mix please.

jjay, Sean, The Ole' Rocker and 7 others like this.
  23. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Stevie Wonder!! There is supposedly a wealth of unreleased material .

24. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Kraftwerk's early years: 1970-73, given a loving remaster and with a few unreleased and/or live recordings thrown in.

25. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I would love a Turtles boxset that contains all the studio albums, Chalon Road and Shell Shocked, guide vocals , album ads and radio commercials, unrelease songs and alternate versions of songs with Mark taking lead vocals instead of Howard