What is your endgame integrated amplifier?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Naka9, Nov 6, 2022.

1. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Vinni Rossi Brama. No idea if it sounds good but I think it looks great. It's price makes it end game.
    [​IMG]

2. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

Beautiful design! :edthumbs:

bever70, siebrand and aunitedlemon like this.
  3. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

I’ve been mulling this same type of question, as I’ve expressed elsewhere in Luxman threads.

In my research I stumbled across the somewhat controversial opinions of Harbeth chief designer Alan Shaw. He has written extensively that once professionally adjusted to match gain, and if there’s no clipping, that in blind tests very few are capable of telling the difference between the various quality amps over a variety of price ranges.

I’m in no position to declare if Alan Shaw is correct or not. But I suspect there is at least some degree of truth to what he says.

That has adjusted my thinking about end game integrateds to more about budget and features. And looks. To what amp I can reasonably afford that does all the things I like, and looks good to me.

I love all the old school functionality and style of the Japanese integrated amps like Luxman or Accuphase. And am saving up for a Luxman 507. I love meters, knobs, multiple speaker connections, and fancy casework.

But I think just about any quality integrated would be fine in terms of sound quality. That the sonic differences are likely small and not worth fretting over. Just make sure the speaker sensitivity and amp power are a good match.

styler, Swann36, AudioOut58 and 7 others like this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

That's a sick Luxman amp you got, N99!:righton:

5. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

My Marantz 1060 which I rebuilt a couple years ago.

6. The Pinhead

That's a hell of an amp. I wouldn't mind one myself. But they don't come with pre in outs anymore as they used to and that's a deal breaker.

7. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

We know you do not stop banging on about it. :D

Some folk are not into changing equipment to get improvements for the sake of it....all my system components have been picked to play music and in that role perform well for me.

Now back to the music.:tiphat:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    Tawaun A Williams and Tajo1960 like this.
  8. Douglas Lam

Douglas Lam Forum Resident

Luxman L-509X

For now. LOL.

CBackley, Tajo1960 and DancingSea like this.
  9. matro5

matro5 Forum Resident

Funny. I just came back to this thread to mention this amp as a cost-no-object answer the endgame question. My previous answer of Luxman was sort of rooted in reality, but this one would require some circumstances to change a little bit.

In any case, I've never heard this either, but it is for me one of the most beautiful pieces of industrial design I can think, and certainly in this space. And I am quite sure it sounds OK, too :)

This thread is also making me think that an endgame amplifier might just have to be SS even though I love tubes. I would hate for tube uncertainties to ruin the fun. But maybe that fear is overblown.

AudioOut58, Tajo1960 and aunitedlemon like this.
  10. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

11. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile Thread Starter

For many reasons I really think that I will never have the chance to buy any of the integrated amplifiers already mentioned, so one particular piece starts to look like end game to me: the Musical Fidelity M6si500 - a pure powerhouse without dac or phonostage, but with several items that I truly value, a remote control, balanced input and biwire binding posts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This have the potential of being a great combination with all my speakers, specially the Roksan Darius.
    I am really considering this one (selling my Rogue Sphinx) if I could get a good deal :)

12. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Good choice. I’m now the owner of this beauty with a new pair of Spendor A7s. However, due to feeling ill the last few days the new gear is still at the dealers.

13. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

14. Nero

Nero Rega - Oppo - Luxman - Sonus Faber.

There is a reason that i keep repeating it you know.
    That Vincent is no endgame amp.
    I was once like you but then i evolved.

siebrand and macster like this.
  15. The Pinhead

Wow! You've reached your endgame stuff; congrats! Get well soon and blast the kerrap outta that great combo (I'd have paired with Klipsch RF7IIIs, but hey, look at my avatar:laugh:) My choice is purely theoretic, because I couldn't afford a new Accuphase, although I almost scored a mint used 380 once. They wanted 3K for it and I offered 2.5K. Doubt they ever sold it for more than that in the end. But it would have been pointless with my current speakers, much as I love them. Would certainly have forced me to upgrade those as well. Baby steps.

AudioOut58 and Pancat like this.
  16. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

The endgame amp is the last one purchased before death. It’s more about human lifespan than the actual amp. In that light, any amp ever made can be an endgame amp as long is it, well, comes at the end…
    :wave:

17. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Whammerdyne and Wyetech are two brands I've always wanted to hear and fantastic industrial design for Whammerdyne in my book.

conorb and Tajo1960 like this.
  18. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Feel better and hopefully that awesome new system waiting for you speeds your recovery!

Pancat likes this.
  19. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I have the Ms3 , that I am very satisfied with , so am naturally attracted to the way more powerful Ms6.
    I will probably go for that before I retire and take the Ms3 to the family room to replace a trusty old Sony A/V receiver
    I am interested in new speakers but am really attached to the sound of my venerable Rogers Studio 1a's !

20. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Michi X3 Real world pricing
    [​IMG]

Stryker10, styler, GyroT and 9 others like this.
  21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Fortunate enough to hear the X and Z with basically the same speakers. The Z by a mile to my ears, best Luxman amplifier I have heard.

Bananas&blow, bjlefebvre and Tajo1960 like this.
  22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Heard this one and it looks priceless but like most all VR amps I have heard (except the capacitor storage "off grid" Lio models) it sounds too dark and laid back. Possibly the speakers (QLn) but his amps always sound that way to my ears. Too bad.

23. james

james Summon The Queen

Line Magnetic 518ia was as good as I could have hoped for. I’d like to try the newer version with the 845s and 300bs. That’s my realistic endgame tube integrated amp.

AndyCC72, Tajo1960 and Ntotrar like this.
  24. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I just scored another quad of KT120... Yes happy!

25. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Speaking of Luxman - I noted on their spec section that they state

Power supply 230V~(50Hz) / 115V~(60Hz)

I don't see on the back a switch - does anyone know how this is changed or is it a factory setting? Brands like Luxman and Accuphase are often quite a bit cheaper than in the US. Accuphase is far cheaper in Canada than in the US as well. But I might consider a Luxman if I can easily change the power over to US/Canada voltage when I return to Canada. What I like about the Luxman - is that it actually does EVERYTHING you would want - has MM and MC phono on board, has a headphone output, has a remote, is built like a tank, sounds really nice, it's also stylish so doesn't look like you're in Frankenstein's Laboratory.

IRG, Mike-48, james and 1 other person like this.