What Makes John Bonham Such a Good Drummer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Zerns, Dec 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I'm no drummer but I've heard from a few that one of the things that Bonzo did that set him apart was his innate ability to play just behind the beat, like the R&B drummers did. It gave Zeppelin a swagger and strut that most blues rock and hard rock bands didn't have. And then there's those impossible rolls, all done without losing the beat. He had impeccable control. He got in an argument about mike placement with Terry Manning while recording LZ II and Manning insisted that they need more mikes to control the volume. "When I want it louder, I'll PLAY it louder." He knew dynamics better than most, including Ginger Baker.

Here's the thing about Ginger. He's the most miserable misanthrope in the rock pantheon. His jealousy of Bonham's reputation and success just burns him, despite his own achievements. Bonham didn't need a jazz players swing, not when he had that strut. But Ginger is an insecure, petty man and he'll be making remarks like this while they nail the coffin lid shut. There's a reason that Ringo and Moon were buddies of Bonzo, and not Ginger.

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Recording drums well is a real talent. Ironically, the first album is probably the best recorded (imo).

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the power and the majesty!

moople72 likes this.
  4. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

John Bonham if you listen to his drumming is incorporating styles from funk and other genres which is not noticeable to every one. He also really knew how to fit what the songs needed as well which is the most important function as a drummer in my opinion.

sound chaser and bru87tr like this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

One word, POWER!

6. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Brilliant at composing his parts, always played for the song. But I’d rather listen to an awful Peter Criss drum solo than suffer 45 minutes of triplets enduring Moby Dick live!

UglySickJoker likes this.
  7. phonograph

phonograph Forum Resident

The whole spectrum of the SOUNDS he made! He was a drummer and a musician! :hide:

So unique. So powerful. So perfect.

steve phillips likes this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

No comments on the Beato videos from the OP?

9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I think this guy gets a bit too technical into how bonzo played. Like black dog, he says it sounds like its out of sync.

I would have never thought of it that way till he said that. He is in sync, he just has cool changes in his playing.

I practiced a lot when I was a kid and always practiced to zep. Stairway is a easy song to play, but I love how bonzo plays in that song. It's a fun song to play that builds up and has cool changes even in his steady timing in the song.

I am not sure he thought a whole lot about what or how he played. Sounds like to me he just played.

10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Booooooooo

;)

11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the limit to which many people are willing to invest in the role of drums in music, ladies and gentlemen.

stax o' wax likes this.
  12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Agreed. Another example of his impeccable control is "Kashmir", especially the live version from Wembeley. And to think, that was mere days from the end when people think of Bonham as being completely wasted and out of control. Well, there's one place where he never relinquished control, and that was the drum throne. Those rolls wash in like huge waves at incoming tide. And they're so damn leisurely - he has all the time in the world. He was a true master of the drum kit. Every year where I listen to Zeppelin brings him higher in my esteem.

13. dkmonroe

No offense to the OP, but I tend to think that when you've seen one of those YouTube 'splainy videos, you've seen 'em all. But I take your point.

Synthfreek likes this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Rick Beato is different. I would not lump him in with other YouTube bozos. He knows his stuff.

violetvinyl, Chris M and dkmonroe like this.
  15. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Bonzo is the best I ever heard play the drums. His attack, technique, musicality etc. There is no one better.
    One of his "secrets" was his tuning of the skins. He tuned quite high in order to allow the sound to project farther. (i.e. loud!) He tuned the bottom skins even higher than the batter side as well.
    Sad that near his death he thought that he wasn't very good drummer and told Plant that maybe he should play the drums and Bonzo would sing. (Bonzo had a good voice as well. A couple examples are background on Good Time Bad Times and harmony vocals on Bron-Y-Aur Stomp.)

16. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Zep never played Wembley Stadium. Do you mean Knebworth, from '79?

There was the tour of Europe the next year, where Bonzo did seem a little off. Some of that is the flaccid, flat sound of the drums on all those soundboard recordings.

dkmonroe likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

Yes, I meant bleeding bloody Knebworth - why did I even make that mistake? :laugh: Wires crossed with the Floyd, apparently!

I though Knebworth was later than it was as well.

violetvinyl likes this.
  18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Well, Floyd did Knebworth too -- in '75, I think. Genesis, The Stones, Queen...all the big ones except The Who did at some point.

dkmonroe likes this.
  19. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

He could swing, shuffle and rock all with convincing authority.

People who think he was just a hammer aren't very good listeners.

Terrapin Station and dkmonroe like this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Same country, close enough

dkmonroe likes this.
  21. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

So many things... my simple opinion is he is like a Rolex, best at what they do, number one being keeping time but also with a signature style, instantly identifiable, flash, simple, pure, solid, not exactly in that order and so much more as well as everyone would want to have for use for the reasons stated. He is in that line of exquisite models.

22. AndyK235

AndyK235 Forum Resident

I quite appreciate the role of a drummer and how important it is. John Bonham was a good drummer. I was joking in my comment, but it is true---he was an extremely loud drummer.

23. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Nice subtle nod to Keith Moon, one of the few rock drummers of all time who was right up there with Bonzo.

Scope J and CybrKhatru like this.
  24. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

He had a unique style (that I never get tired of) and someone who knew how to record him. And the added benefit of lots of great songs to drum to.

25. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Ginger Baker can cram it with walnuts. That is all.

NJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.