What New Christmas Albums Are Coming Out This Year?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fannymac, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, June Christy's splendid album is definitely far a field from jD's great rock "n" roll Christmas album, but it really has some extraordinary big band arrangements and some fantastic jazz inflected singing by the great singer. I guess the only thing they really have in common is the fact that both holiday albums feature all original Christmas or winter related material, and I usually find these types of holiday albums totally underwhelming to say the least, but in their two specific cases, I find the musicianship and quality of the original songs to really stand out for the better.

David*M likes this.
  2. The retro feel to the album is an incredibly nice touch. A great new release that should stick around for years to come.

RSteven likes this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Another great new Christmas album released just this year that has that great vintage sound and orchestral production from the Golden Age is Martina McBride's It's The Holiday Season. It features some fantastic big band arrangements from the late Sinatra arranger Patrick Williams and was recorded at the famed Capitol Records Tower in Hollywood with 40 some musicians on the platter. Martina's voice is perfect for this style of singing as she proved on her first holiday album, White Christmas.

psulioninks and PhantomStranger like this.
  4. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Can anyone speak to the mastering on Ingrid Michaelson's album? How's the vinyl and/or CD?

5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. The CD was mastered by Joe LaPorta at Sterling Sound. I wouldn't call it audiophile material but the CD isn't slammed with overt limiting or heavy compression. The dynamics are average for a modern CD mastering.

It's getting a lot of play from me - Ingrid doesn't attempt to reinvent the wheel on the arrangements. Which I like, call me a traditionalist.

Brian Mc, RSteven and Simon A like this.
  7. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Sampling the albums listed, I'll take Memphis Ukulele Band's Holidays Ain’t the Same "produced by Sam Phillips’ granddaughter Halley Phillips." Love Kyndle McMahan's singing-- thanks for the link!

Terrapin Station and RSteven like this.
  8. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I like the music enough to have ordered the Record Store Day 7" vinyl single release

[​IMG]
    CABIN 24 RECORDS 0243021
    UPC: 192914766506
    Release Date: 11/24/2018

Holiday 7" Picture Disc featuring two original Holiday songs written by Ingrid Michaelson. Track 1 is a demo version of "Happy Happy Christmas" (studio version of this original from Ingrid's upcoming full length Holiday album, Songs For The Season) and track 2 is an unreleased original holiday song titled "December." Both songs would be RSD Exclusives.

I love her takes on the songs on the album, and her version of "Looks like a Cold, Cold Winter" is sensational.

PhantomStranger and RSteven like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have more than I'll ever need, but I'm always open to something special!

RSteven likes this.
  10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I absolutely love JD McPherson's new one-- Socks.

I've had it on repeat. There are animated lyric videos like this one up on YouTube for every song on the album. Great fun, melodic, charming lyrics and that wonderful vintage '50s sound JD always has on his records. Some terrific guitar solos on this record!

11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I just got through playing this CD tonight for the first time and it is a true kick in the pants. I love the retro feel of the rockabilly instrumentation and the true cleverness of the lyrics. I seldom like holiday albums with all original songs as they usually bore me to death. This one is a keeper. Holly, Carol, Candy & Joy is one of my favorites, along with the great title track and really the whole album is a blast. I love old albums from the Golden Age (I started that Christmas thread) and this was a real surprise to say the least.

Christobal likes this.
  13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Thanks for that--it's helpful for my purposes. I wish there were an easy way to get just a big, comprehensive list of Christmas releases from every year. Most are missing lots of stuff. That looks fairly comprehensive for the handful of years it covers. But I wish there was something like that for every year going back to the 50s at least.

Brian Mc likes this.
  14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

15. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Only a week 'til Christmas, so, what are people's favorite new Christmas albums this year?

The 2 that really stood out to me that I enjoyed the most and have no doubt will continue to enjoy for years to come are:

Ingrid Michaelson Songs for the Season Can't get enough of this one. Modern take on the classic golden age sound. I got the vinyl, not the CD, and I love it. "Looks like a Cold, Cold Winter" is the song that got me hooked, although the rest is also great.

Memphis Ukulele Band Holidays Ain't the Same (Without You) CD only. Produced by Sam Phillips' granddaughter Halley Phillips, who also co-wrote one of the singles, "Merry Christmas Broken Hearts" with Sam Phillip's son Jerry Phillips. Love the new songs and the acoustic sound & performances. Kyndle McMahan's a lovely singer, and Mark Edgar Stuart's vocals (who sang on the album title track) are uniquely cool. Timeless.

RSteven likes this.
  16. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Definitely my pick for the best Christmas album this year. I picked up a vinyl copy of this the other day and have it on heavy rotation. It's what every good Christmas record should be: familiar songs, a gorgeous voice, tasteful production, and a big dose of nostalgia. Wonderful stuff!

17. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am with both of you on this one. What a great new Christmas album that can be favorably compared to the ones from the Golden Age of Christmas. I too was totally enamored with her stellar version of Looks Like A Cold, Cold Winter. You both have made a fantastic choice for best new Christmas album of 2018!

Brian Mc and BlueJay like this.
  18. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

It's almost 2019 and Mike Love should have known better than to release this drivel. :yikes:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

PhantomStranger and RSteven like this.
  20. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

How did this not make it to vinyl? Can anyone who bought the CD tell me the dynamic range of the thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.