What next from the Zappa Vault?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrBitey, Feb 13, 2018.

1. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

If you’re listening @Vaultmeister, please oh please release the Barcelona and Madrid 1988 videos and/but also a box of assorted complete 1988 shows. While I appreciate and love the three records FZ made from the tour tapes, there is still so much to be mined from that period. Thanks for all you do!

2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

At least the unedited BtM in full. But since Carnegie I dont know.

3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Mannheim
    Or Lund
    Or Stuttgart
    ...or Troy #2

leefarber and rlp like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Those of us who did donate to Alex's doc SHOULD be getting our 'vault pass' pretty soon....
    I believe we'll be getting over 3 hours of unreleased music!

ceddy10165 likes this.
  5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

6. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Although I'd love more 88 stuff the Beatles/Fred Zeppelin covers would be possibly problematic in releasing entire shows.

I think Joe mentioned in an interview last year finding some studio recordings made during the ZINY(?) run and Hot Rats P/O.

They could release The Fly stuff on an EP...'All Green And Buzzin''. It sounded neat, I hadn't heard it before today.

If you are reading this @Vaultmeister, tell us...vots the deal?

7. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

More UM penalty tracks!
    (Lol jus kidd'n)

BONGO FURY box

YELLOW SHARK blu-ray which would include the gorgeous "Overture"

OPPAPOPPA blu-ray (this show is an awesome rare doc!)

THE BIG NOTE doc.

8. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Oh ya.....can't forget

SINISTER FOOTWEAR complete stage show!!
    (Wasn't it filmed?)

Bemsha likes this.
  9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'd imagine that many fans have this in some form (I certainly don't) but that Dupree's with Ponty absolutely shredding his violin (and Ralph following every move and reflecting them) is addictive stuff. There's also an instrumental version of Fifty/Fifty from Australia in this time period that Tom Fowler rips up in a big way. More '73!

10. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

I need Grand Wazoo and Waka Jawaka vinyl reissues, soon.

kevinsponge and englishbob like this.
  11. Virtually real, almost simulated, holographic Frank in your home!!

12. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

- The Yellow Shark. Complete. Video. Surround. The works.
    - The Rage And The Fury
    - Hot Rats P/O
    - (from Fantasyland) Remix 200 Motels. Soundtrack AND movie.
    - 88 tour. ANYthing. Complete show. Cherry-picked show. Beatles. Video would be nice.

I'm in.

I had ONS and A(') in quad (CD4 LP) before The Great Vinyl Purge Of 2000. I enjoyed them greatly, but I'd acknowledge that the mixes were of their day, ie, hard-panned, discrete (discreet?) and arguably gimmicky. No matter. I'd love to have 'em as-is on optical disc or even download. That goes double for Roxy and One Size, if that's even possible.

13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Yes. Stockholm '73 has circulated for a while. Yet, the clip in the Eat That Question film looks too good not to have come from the source. So, I imagine that the filmmaker got it from either the Swedish TV archives or the ZFT. If it is the former, then there are logistical issues. But, if it is the latter, I would think that it could be released. Sound quality might be an issue, though.

On CD, Road Tapes #2 is a really good substitute.

anth67, gd0 and Archtop like this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Those were Frank's projects. They're not going to spend time listening to hundreds of hours of live shows to chop them up and produce guitar albums.

MennoV67 likes this.
  15. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It fills a cavity in an otherwise sweet tooth. That Stockholm Dupree's is gold.

adamos and dlokazip like this.
  16. MDW

MDW Howard The Duck's Biggest Fan

Lost tapes of Frank learning to play the bike...

But a surround mix of "The Grand Wazoo" would suffice.

17. I'd love a Fillmore East June 1971 box of the 4 shows (if all 4 were recorded).

izgoblin and jay.dee like this.
  18. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Seeing as Ahmet & Joe now seem to be in the habit of releasing massive projects, I'd love to see a release of "The History & Collected Improvisations of The Mothers of Invention" - yeah I know FZ broke it up & released chunks of it over the years & other morsels have found there way on to bootlegs, but the whole thing would be lovely, not sure what remains of it in the vault on tape (hopefully all of it), but I'd take a needle drop from any acetates/test pressings that may be lurking in the vault, just to have this sucker finally released - it's about time........................

19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

However, they can release an album of instrumentals like they did with Frank Zappa Plays The Music of Frank Zappa: A Memorial Tribute.

I mentioned earlier they still haven't released the rare instrumental non-lp b-sides Ancient Armaments and Junior Mintz Boogie on cd.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  20. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Perhaps the ZFT should create an album of smokin' solos based on a vote by all the bootleg obsessives. All they need to do is let us know what shows they've got in the vault and I'm sure we can crowdsource a list of 20-30 amazing ones!

John Fell likes this.
  21. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

You're forgetting that Frank mixed and set aside many guitar solos that weren't released. Several of them have made it to vault releases. It would probably be very easy for them to assemble another album, maybe even a double.

Scope J and John Fell like this.
  22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'd buy that!

PIGGIES likes this.
  23. A Bongo Fury tour complete show for starters -it's a glaring gap.

24. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Even though it would be short at just 33 mins - this deserves to be on CD - perhaps with the additions you mentioned above.
    Much of it has now been issued over various releases, but it still has FZ unique edits & unique material.
    I burned a copy to CD from my cassette & it has a nice flow about it.

Liner Notes from THE GUITAR WORLD ACCORDING TO FRANK ZAPPA

John Fell likes this.
  25. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I think everything I'd like to see/hear has been covered already. The only thing I'd add would be new recordings from The Ensemble Modern. They've really only done live The Yellow Shark /EIHN recordings and the studio album with Greggery Peccary. I can't get enough of their sound.

Here's some of what I'd love to hear:

RDNZL
    Let's Make The Water Turn Black
    Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance
    The Black Page
    Inca Roads
    Zomby Woof
    Big Swifty
    Sofa
    Strictly Genteel
    Waka Jawaka
    Eat That Question
    Grand Wazoo

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anything from the Garrick Theater has been unearthed. Strictly for historical purposes.

Based on the success of the Roxy box I think we can hope to see more multi-night recordings. A few of the 1988 shows early on were three night stands.

More Guitar Solos.