What next from the Zappa Vault?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrBitey, Feb 13, 2018.

1. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

This is a question that has been asked and it no longer exists in the vault, sadly.
    I seem to remember them saying that there's not even any documentation to say exactly what it consisted of.

It broke my heart when I read that, as I too would love to have that set.

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Just in case anyone's keeping score:

'Junier Mintz Boogie', 'Black Page Part 2' (flexidisc version), 'Dancin' Fool' (12" mix) and 'Won Ton On' ('True Glove' version) have STILL never been reissued on CD.
    'Video From Hell', 'The True Story Of 200 Motels' and 'Uncle Meat' have STILL never been reissued on DVD.

They've all been out of print for too many decades. Someone needs to give them a good forever home.

3. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Unfortunately, no tapes, acetates or even paper documentation has survived in the vault. It will never happen.

I think a nice substitute would be a box of all Dick Kunc's 2-track live tapes from 1969.

Frittenköter, izgoblin and carville like this.
  4. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

"Broken Hearts are for Vault Tapes" :cry:

vudicus likes this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

FZ said he did not record the Garrick Theater shows.

6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

A million times this!

joeym3 and PIGGIES like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Most has probably surfaced in various releases like Finer Moments, YCDTOSA, Lost Episodes and so forth. Some of those are poor 80's mixes/masters, so if they can find vintage sources they could be worth releasing.

PIGGIES likes this.
  8. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

'Dancin' Fool' (12" mix) was released on the Japanese CD issue of "Strictly Commercial"

citizensmurf likes this.
  9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

AFAIK, no audio exists from the Garrick Theater. Only film with no sound.

10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I would love a P/O release for Hot Rats. Maybe they could roll it into a larger package with Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo, depending on how much fresh material is lurking in the vaults. I'd also welcome more hi-res surround mixes or the vintage quad mixes. I'm not sure if they ever did One Size Fits All, but can you imagine hearing "Inca Roads" in surround?

gd0 likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think enough exists for releases for both albums. In fact I believe there was specific word from Joe that he was working on a Waka/Wazoo set.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  12. WonkyWilly

Some LP sides have also been bootlegged. That's probably as close as we'll ever get to the actual project.

Of course, any raw tapes would be welcome. Fresh transfers of those 1969 shows without Bob Stone's "special touch" would be something else.

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Ah, right. Sorry, I thought that was only on some vinyl editions.

PIGGIES likes this.
  14. WonkyWilly

Does that include the footage that Alex Winters recently unearthed? I can't recall if he mentioned it having sound or not, but he seemed to imply that it was something special and unexpected.

15. The Whisky Tapes

The complete Bongo Fury album show

The Hot Rats box

A Burnt/Weasals Box

Sheik Yerboutti shows that made the album

Pete Puma and rlp like this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

well, I'd prefer Hot Rats, but anything form Waka will be great news.

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

A couple of years ago, I had an email exchange with Joe that seemed to suggest that he didn't know that there was anything unique on True Glove (although I could be mistaken). I'm sure many fans don't find "Won Ton On" particularly listenable anyway, so I'm not sure adding the Watson rap helps matters. It is certainly a collectable, but musically pleasing? Probably not.

EDIT: I'm not holding my breath for the Thing-Fish P/O. :D

PIGGIES and Pete Puma like this.
  18. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Better a Project/Object I'm hoping. I'd be happy with a project/object treartment of any of the records from that Weenie-Weasles-Rats era...

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and The Panda like this.
  19. WonkyWilly

The "Black Page" flexidisc sounds surprisingly good. One could make (or obtain) a digital transfer and be relatively happy with that, in the event that it doesn't make a vault release.

PIGGIES likes this.
  20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Sure, but I know I'd have a better chance at sleeping soundly tonight if I had ALL of Zappa's output and not just almost all of it.

PIGGIES and dlokazip like this.
  21. WonkyWilly

The master takes from London might not be intact because they were spliced out of the reels and overdubbed like mad.

The master takes from New York City are available now. I would imagine that Frank kept them intact because there is corresponding video footage.

The Berlin recordings are available complete as a nice sounding bootleg (but not the Neunkirchen ones). Another dream box set.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Hard to say if AA would come out again, as the unedited version was on the Halloween DVD-A and the single version on one of the AAAFNRAA birthday bundles. Maybe one year a '78 Halloween box could come out.

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Oops. I even got that one wrong - it's Part 1. :hide:

24. WonkyWilly

Has anyone mentioned the Ritz 1981 show yet? That's a hell of a show!

MennoV67, PIGGIES and vudicus like this.
  25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

This needs an official release!
    I cannot stand those stupid edits on the FM version so a proper unedited release would be most welcome.

PIGGIES likes this.