What one album did you most look forward to getting before it came out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

So, here's my story on this. We skipped class that morning (surprise), bopped up to the record store when it opened, bought about five copies and rushed back to the dorm.

Played side 1. It was every bit as deranged as we hoped it would be.
    Played side 2. It was every bit as deranged as we hoped it would be.
    Played side 1 again.
    And we were like, "Man, that is a short album."
    Then we looked at the turntable and saw it was set to 45 rpm.

I'm sure it says something about us, but it surely says something about the album, that we could play it three times at the wrong speed and not notice anything amiss...

Those were the days...

2. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Human Touch and Lucky Town

Same day on a 2 for 1 sale at the brand new HMV.

I was psyched for days about this.

Also "Tracks", the 4 CD Box Set had me salivating for days...

3. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

i'm sorry and i'm not trying to hijack this thread with my tangent, but i just realized what i wrote above is NOT accurate, i got confused with something else, and the first Saturn Return is in fact at age 29, NOT 10....d'oh!

back to your regularly scheduled thread, now in progress...

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Not a bad album...less cheezy than their post 'Lick It Up' albums.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

I just responded via PM so we can stay on track here. :righton:

6. zenarus

zenarus Forum Resident

I was 10 when I saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, so
    every Beatles release was always looked forward to.
    Recently, I'd have to say Peter Gabriels "Up"....
    And a real heavy "looking forward to" was
    waiting for Weather Reports "8:30" to be released on CD..

7. Jeff56

Jeff56 Forum Resident

Most recent was Lamb of God's follow up to Ashes of the Wake..

also Slayer's new album with the original line-up , Christ Illusion

8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

There are many albums I eagerly-awaited and it's a feeling I miss... I'm looking forward to the reissue of the Bee Gees Odessa at the moment, but that's not really the same thing.

The ones I remember most vividly are debut albums by bands whose repertoire I was familiar with from seeing them in clubs; Television Marquee Moon, Talking Heads 77, Suicide, Fleshtones Roman Gods, R.E.M. Murmer, Mission of Burma - Vs.

New albums by favorite artists were also highly-anticipated. Really, the thrill of running to the record store with a pocketful of cash and racing home to hear the new album by so-and-so is something I experienced countless times... and I do miss it.

9. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

10. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

:laugh: RE: My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts: I once got David Byrne to sign my CD cover of this, by saying: "I really don't like your music at all, but THIS is an absolute work of genius!!!" :D

11. furmanu

furmanu Forum Resident

Men at Work's third album - Two Hearts - I thought heir first 2 albums were great and I was eagerly anticipating this one - I bought it the day it came out and I was never more disappointed in a new release.

Boston - Third Stage - It took an eternity for this to come out and wasnt disappointed in this one. Not as good as the first two, but still great Boston.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Revolver. All the little kids were talking about it in school because all the DJ's on KRLA and KFWB were talking about it. One jock on KRLA played the entire album about 5 days before it was released, unheard of for AM radio of the time. I remember listening to my little clock radio and hearing GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE and wondering at the horns on the song.

When the album came out my Dad bought it for me. Although the USA version now seems to me like a collection of novelty songs, at the time it was a big deal..

13. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

I was a 14 year old Beatles fan who knew about the Let It Be/Get Back saga when "Let It Be Naked"' was announced. I was so excited to hear what I thought would be the album as the group had intended; I followed it online, even listened in on the radio (which I almost never do) when they did a special on the making of the album and played the whole thing. It was so exciting to be around for a "new" Beatles release, since I was too young for the Anthologies and Beatles 1 wasn't that exciting for me.

I was disappointed to find that they had simply kept the majority of the original album but screwed around with the mix on For You Blue so that you couldn't hear John's slide and used a different take of I've Got a Feeling.

14. Mack

Mack New Member

The Beach Boys SMiLE and, gosh darn, it I'm still waiting for it. Has anybody heard of any updated release date?

15. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

16. We're sure to sell a million units! In January (1967)! :D

17. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

Genesis: Abacab.

The nearest record shop was 3 miles away, and I walked there and back.

In my entire life of listening to music, I don't think my heart has ever sunk further than when that first horn stab on "No Reply At All" rang out. And after "Who Dunnit" I called a friend who had also bought the record that day to confirm that I didn't have a "joke" copy.

What a horrible day that was. :(

18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I think the last album I was fidgety waiting for, was probably XTC's Apple Venus Vol. I. Wasn't disappointed, either. I recall Mike Keneally(? I think) reviewing it on the InfraWeb somewhere, saying it was today's Magical Mystery Tour. I jumped up and down, because I'd been thinking exactly the same thing.

As far as songs go, the two "new" Beatles songs on Anthology. I had to really tamp down expectations there, so as not to be disappointed. Oddly, that was all going on the week my dad died; I missed the first two nights of the ABC TV broadcast because of my dad being in hospice. As I drove home in the early hours after he passed from this world, I turned the radio on and heard "Free As A Bird" for the first time.

I can't be objective about that song or "Real Love", really. All entwined with thoughts of family and mortality.

19. John54

John54 Senior Member

To Our Children's Children's Children, A Question of Balance, or Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

20. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

It's amazing to think that, for a while there in the late Sixties, we were getting a new Moodies album every six months or so...

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

R a m lived up to my expectations and more.

22. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

there are 2

1. Bruce Springsteen - "Tunnel Of Love" (fall 1987, age 15)
    I somehow snubbed some of my high school friends who were awaiting Sting's "Nothing Like The Sun"...:help:

2. U2 - "Zooropa" (1993)

23. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Did it live up to your expectations? :)

24. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Neil Young's Archives???:hide:

25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Well definitlely Guns N' Roses - "Chinese Democracy", the most anticipated album of all time.
    Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my (high) expectations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.