What percentage of your vinyl collection is in perfect condition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think mine maybe 60 maybe less.

By perfect I mean no marks, creases, cuts on jackets and vinyl in perfect playing condition.

Come to think about it maybe I am at 20 percent.

I look after my records well, but over time one way or another the jackets seem to get the odd crease or some kind of damage.

DK Pete likes this.
  2. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Jeez, not many!
    Most of the records I have, I've owned for decades. Each scrape or mark is its own story...if I could remember it! :D

3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

A pretty high percentage. A year or two ago I culled my collection and got rid of most of the beat-up albums. For many years now, I have refused to buy vinyl that isn’t near mint or close to it. The other day I was record shopping and ran across an early Dutch pressing of the Byrds’ Mr. Tambourine Man for a good price, but it had a seam split in the thin European style sleeve and some light scuffing on the record, so I put it back. Ten years ago I would have bought it. I’ve learned the hard lesson that it’s better to wait for the perfect copy of an album than to keep buying flawed copies.

4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Anything that I bought new, the vinyl will be in great shape. The sleeves not so much. I'm indifferent to sleeve quality anyway, I'm not a "collector". I don't use sleeve protectors.

5. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

2%... maybe?

erikdavid5000, Kristofa and Fullbug like this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'd say 90% or better is close to NM in my collection. If it's not I get rid of it or replace it with something better. I buy a lot of new vinyl and I don't play each title that often because I have well over a thousand records. I try to be careful when handling the records.

djost, BDC, Marko K and 4 others like this.
  7. Diorama

I think most of my problems with jackets is to do with shipping causing the damage.

8. Diorama

I am curious would you call NM if a vinyl had 2 small creases?

I wonder about what is classed as NM nowadays.

9. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Honestly? I think an acceptable 80%. Fortunately (and miraculously) they have stood the test of time ... for now

10. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

0%

Why? Because if I sold any of it, some freak will always find SOMETHING wrong with it to ask for a lower price.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Two small creases? You mean scratches? NM to me is like new.

Marko K, danielbravo and Chemguy like this.
  12. 0%, 0 out of 2

13. Diorama

Sorry I meant on the jacket.

14. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Perfect ? That's a high bar. How many are 'perfect ' after shipping ?

Most of mine is NM or close. I'm not having a heap of rubbish laying around.

Jimbo912 likes this.
  15. Diorama

Shipping is the only place my records take a tumble.

E.Baba likes this.
  16. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Probably zero. Out of 200 or so 90% are autographed and they've been in album frames on walls for years. In a word - dust.
    It's possible that these (and a few more) are still mint as I bought them sealed to transfer to CD:
    [​IMG] and

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Around 60 - 70% could be graded excellent, another 20% a strong very good and the last 10 % below with some being crackly but rare. I don't have anything excessively crackly, worn or that jumps. I'm quite fussy but some records have been too cheap to leave and play OK or are too rare to find near perfection at an affordable price.

Perfect is a very high standard to reach, I've played all my records so some would consider none of them perfect.

18. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Perfect is not a standard record grading term.
    Perfect if translated to actual record grading terms would mean Mint.
    Mint grade is if an album is unplayed and the cover/ jacket has no visible marks whatsoever, essentially brand new.

BrentB, Echoes Myron and Chew like this.
  19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Probably the same here. I probably would’ve said the same thing. Any jackets with splits or creases go, and I replace them. I also don’t buy much used vinyl so most of my records are just unsealed at the side.

20. Diorama

The creases really annoy the ****e out of me, but shipping has done that. I don't think I would throw away a vinyl cos of a crease but bad ones I have given to a friend and bought a new one.

richbdd01 likes this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The cover condition is not as important as the playing condition, for me. I do store all of my vinyl in protective sleeves, though. I also store it in a climate controlled room.

22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have been collecting LP's for over 30 years and I also buy a lot of new vinyl.

I would guess my collection is 50% NM, 40% VG+, and 10% VG. I grade conservatively.

23. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I'm going out on a limb and say 95% of the vinyl is NM. Don't give a hoot about the jacket.

danielbravo and BrentB like this.
  24. Diorama

All my actual vinyl is M to NM but jackets are another story.

I do find if I buy a new record it seriously pisses me off if there is something wrong with the jacket.

But if I buy second hand, I kinda don't mind it at all. Now if I added to the creases or damage of said second-hand LP this would annoy me to no end.

25. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

90-95% are impeccable. 1500+ collection. I’m OCD and won’t buy less than perfect or will upgrade to cull out the ones that showed up with issues.

Marko K, Sytze, Fullbug and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.