What Stylus Tip Is This?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by matrix-6, May 1, 2024.

1. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Two questions:

1. Is it nude or bonded?
    2. Is it elliptical, spherical, or other?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Davey

Davey NP: Califone ~ Roomsound (2001 LP)

Looks like a bonded conical (spherical) but would be easier to say for sure with more light.

Chemguy and Hendertuckie like this.
  3. matrix-6

Two more with a little more light from my phone. Note the reflections/light. It's supposed to be a nude elliptical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Davey

Davey NP: Califone ~ Roomsound (2001 LP)

Could be, can see the elliptical shape in these bigger and more well lit pictures, and maybe some light through the shank indicating it is nude, not sure.

5. matrix-6

Thanks! It's a new old stock Empire 235-SDE I picked up for an Empire 999 V/EX. It's supposed to be a .2 x .7 nude elliptical per the chart below (3rd down in white). It has a round shank like the 999's but it's a pretty loose fit which concerns me. I put it under the scope and saw that the diamond shaft looked cylindrical compared to my other nude styli which are more squared off. The tip also looked conical to me. I just wanted to be sure I didn't get a bonded conical instead.

2nd pic is the Empire stylus guard that flips up. The black speck on the left is the camera/lens, not the guard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BrentB likes this.
  6. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

First picture in the second post is very suggestive of nude elliptical.

matrix-6 likes this.
  7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It looks like a nude mount. It's an odd one with a cylindrical shape though. No way to see the tip shape in those photos, but if they claim el, then I'd say they should know!
    - Bill

Pythonman and matrix-6 like this.
  8. Wolfie62

Wolfie62 Forum Resident

That’s a Diasa bonded elliptical. Diamond tip fused to sapphire bonding shank (Dia-mond Sa-pphire). As close to nude as you can get, without being a true nude.

ADC also used the Diasa bonded tips on the XLM MKII Improved and QLM36 styli.

Sapphire is very close to diamond in density/weight. So it acts like a nude Diamond tip.

In your pic (zoomed) you can see the milky (translucent) sapphire shank and clear(er) diamond tip.

The sapphire shank is nude mounted to the cantilever.

[​IMG]

gakerty, Big Blue, velo_TX and 2 others like this.
  9. matrix-6

Interesting. Thank you!

10. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Looks like it could be a nude elliptical to me, but I'm not aware of 2x7 nude ellipticals with a round shank, only rectangular and square shanks.

Could be Diasa like @Wolfie62 says, hey Wolfie, did Empire use Diasa stones? I thought those were limited to ADC.