What Type Of Cassette Deck do you own?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Evil Strawberry, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Yep. That's the one. We had three of them where I work, and they weren't using any of them. They kept the one that worked, and I took the other two (which both had different issues) and combined the parts to make a great deck. I used the casing that was in the best shape, and assembled all of the working parts from there. They also have an Mk III, but I don't like that one as much. I mainly use the one I have for transferring people's cassettes to digital (including my own). I have an early 90's Sony dual cassette deck that's actually hooked up to my vinyl rig. I have a MiniDisc player/recorder as well. I'm trying to track down a good DAT player so I can transfer DATs for people too. It's hard to find one that still works, yet there are thousands of DATs (but the people have no player) in Nashville that need to be transferred to a hard drive.

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Any idea what they retailed for new?

3. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Forum Resident

I have one of these boxed up in a closet. Haven't used it in about 20 years. May have to see if it still works. It made great sounding tapes back when I still played cassettes.

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. I still have two cassette decks. I use them every once in awhile. The first is one I bought in 1977. A Teac A-103.

[​IMG]

The second is a Kenwood Kx-W8040. It has Dolby C and HX Pro. Sounds nice with better grade tape.

[​IMG]

5. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

That Teac looks awesome. How does it sound?

arisinwind likes this.
  6. The Teac sounds OK with tapes recorded on it. It lacks high end unless you record on high bias tape and leave the bias off on playback. Recording with Dolby on then leaving it off also boosted the high end.

7. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

[​IMG]

Tascam 122 MKII - with detachable cabled remote. Recently serviced by Skywave Tape Deck Repair near Chicago. It needed some tiny capacitors replaced after decades of use. It got a full service and everything that would be expected to cause a problem in the future was replaced. Works like new again.

(And no, it's not connected to my modem or router.)

8. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I used Skywave to have my Sony KA3ES repaired last year. Sam is great, he fixed it and it sounds great.

macster and RDriftwood like this.
  9. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I don't really record much either (have 800+ pre-recorded cassettes) and just wanted a great sounding playback machine that I could work on if necessary. I have a pair of Nak CR-1A (one sits idle as a backup) a Nak CR-2A (dedicated for the little recording I do)... and a Nak Cassette Deck 2 (that isn't really used). Still, I do peruse the Nak 3-head deck listings.... I have 60 or so Type II & IV Maxell, TDK, Sony blanks purchased during the prior decade at thrift stores for 25 cents...:)

lpman_t likes this.
  10. Will Horton

Will Horton New Member

Hello, I'm new on here and had a question for all the pros out here. I just bought a stereo from goodwill yesterday for 23.00. It's a soundesign dual cassette deck am/fm stereo in a fake would console. The speakers open up on the sides. Does anyone know approximately what yr it was made?

11. Will Horton

Will Horton New Member

Also the model number is 46c46m1

12. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'd say late 80s, early 90s. Soundesign tape decks from that era are regarded as crap. Sounddesign by the late 80s was the "Crossley" of the day.

clhboa and Will Horton like this.
  14. Lownote30

I have no idea, but I know they were in basically every recording studio I went to back in the day. They have rack ears and were meant for professional use. I remember them not being cheap for a cassette deck back then.

15. Will Horton

Will Horton New Member

oh okay. Thanks for the info. I looked it up and only found one that a guy was selling for 300.00, other than that I can't find anything on it. Some sites say it's hard to find if your trying to collect. But for the price I thought it was too good to pass up.

16. Lownote30

I think most people who had them still have them whether they work, or not. Most studios have a closet, or extra room where they put things they don't use anymore. I suspect you'd find a lot of these in closets. Mine came from the basement of a publishing company.

Will Horton likes this.
  17. Will Horton

Will Horton New Member

oh okay that makes sense. Well I was excited as hell. It was my first real large stereo i guess you could say. I'm now buying more cassettes for it.

Lownote30 likes this.
  18. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

SONY-TC-K679ES. I bought it new in 1993.

19. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Used to own this bad boy, great deck!! Then it started to die on me, got rid of it......Should have kept it and worked on it DIY :(

Akai GX-F31

[​IMG]

lpman_t, AidanB, stonecold and 7 others like this.
  20. Robbhilson

Robbhilson Forum Resident

I have two Naks that I use frequently: a CR7A (overhauled by Willy H) and BX-300. Both produce fantastic recordings using metal tape and many of the tapes I made 30+ years ago sound wonderful.

macster and GuildX700 like this.
  21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

This came in the mail last week....a NOS (New Old Stock) Aiwa TX686 portable cassette player.

[​IMG]

Dan C, arisinwind, tootull and 5 others like this.
  22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I spent last night listening listening to some of my near 40 year old cassettes of me and various friends jamming in an old empty large living room. I was blown away at how well the tapes retrieved that ambiance echo in that room. Once I transfer these to CD it will be an interesting comparison to see if that ambiance remains fully intact.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Transferring cassettes to minidiscs.
    Just got a JB930 for a song.
    What's the pros and cons i.e.; hiss factor from recording and best transferring process?

24. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

A modest TEAC V-455X, but I am happy with it

DRM likes this.
  25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.