What was the deal with the drummer of Spanky & Our Gang?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cryptical17, Jun 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you check out the classic YouTube videos of 60s folk pop band Spanky and Our Gang (“Sunday Will Never Be The Same”, “Like To Get To Know You”), the drummer sticks out like a sore thumb. Whereas Ms. McFarlane and the guys out front act like typical pop minstrels of the era, drummer John Seiter seems to be doing his own thing. Looks like he’s either completely bored, or just playing to his own inner metronome. And his Native American getup was quite interesting. Anyone know what his deal was?

2. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

That was a character he was playing. He was supposed to be the "stoic Indian." It was based around his hat. I believe he dropped that schtick when they toured Europe in the spring of '68.

3. Cryptical17

Thanks for the info. One of the more strange things that came from the 1960s. At least he had more charisma and charm than Pete Best. (And better drumming chops too!)

Hall Cat likes this.
  4. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

And for no particular reason, let's give Pete Best another kicking. Pathetic.

5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

The drummer?? That whole group of guys were a bit out of place in the pop world at the time - “like to get to know you” in my top 30 all time favorite songs

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He later joined the Turtles where he replaced John Barbata, who was a much better drummer. Not that John Seiter was a bad drummer, but he seems to have ben especially well-liked.

Cryptical17 likes this.
  7. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I love that song also...I'm a big fan of Spanky and Our Gang. Bob Dorough worked with the band on that album.

Panama Hotel and Cryptical17 like this.
  8. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

That whole album is pretty good - growing up my mom had it and I listened a lot to it

Cryptical17 likes this.
  9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Probably just "stick-synching" to a member of the Wrecking Crew, anyway.

trumpet sounds and Cryptical17 like this.
  10. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Boy oh boy, that group sure had the 60’s schtick down pat.

Greenalishi and Cryptical17 like this.
  11. Cryptical17

I was just joking. :)

12. Lurgan Lad

Lurgan Lad Forum Resident

On a sidebar, I just learned a couple of years ago about the noted bluesman Little Brother Montgomery's history with Spanky & Our Gang.
    He played piano on some of their recordings and they covered some of his songs.

Dusty Sommers and Cryptical17 like this.
  13. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Wow, that's interesting...never heard that before.

Cryptical17 likes this.
  14. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Sunday Will Never Be the Same and Lazy Day were recorded in New York. Like to Get to Know You was recorded in Los Angeles and did feature Hal Blaine on drums. John Seiter played on 3 of the songs on their 2nd album and 2 on the 3rd. The Gang recorded the half of the backing tracks for their first album but i'm unsure how many how were recorded before he joined to joined.

He and his band backed them on Prescription for the Blues on the 2nd album and Mecca Flat Blues (his composition) on the 3rd

Suncola, CliffL and plentyofjamjars67 like this.
  15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Sure, but they gave a damn about their fellow man....

ARK, CliffL and EddieMann like this.
  16. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

I don't mean to cut down people looks. When I watched them on a ED Sullivan rerun, I was distracted by the guy in the glasses. His hairdo looked like a really bad toupee. He was a good singer, though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    tspit74 likes this.
  17. happysunshine

happysunshine Tillverkningen av Salubrin startades 1893

Please don’t ever joke about Pete Best again. It’s a sensitive thing on SH.tv. Please read the forum rules regarding Pete Best. Thank you!

18. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Lefty Baker

Randall DeBouvre likes this.
  19. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Well I imagine if you're PB who's had to endure endless criticism for most of his adult life merely because he wasn't as good a drummer as Ringo Starr, you'd fail to see the "joke".

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Pete Best is a public figure (VERY public, in his case), and as such will naturally be a target for opinions expressed by others. There's simply no way of getting around this.

While there's no reason anyone should go out of his/her way to be cruel, there's also no reason to ignore the part of your sentence that begins with "because," or to pretend that it's anything other than truthful.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

You can think what you like, most fair minded people would agree, the guy has endured enough criticism throughout his life without some clown not only having yet another go at his drumming but throwing in a few extra barbs about his personality.

AFOS likes this.
  22. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Whatever you do,
    do not make fun of Stuart Sutcliffe !

fr in sc likes this.
  23. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

That is really weird, even by 1960’s standards.

24. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice although I think you'll find he's dead so he probably wouldn't be too bothered.

25. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

How so? It would seem to be a well-worn trope by then

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.