What was your first pair of high-end headphones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Penny24, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spica

Spica Easy like Sunday morning

I had a couple of pairs of Grado RS2 (the original and the e version) but not exactly high end. I now have GS3000e which are the only headphones I’ve been happy with.

gregorya likes this.
  2. beep

beep Senior Member

Yamaha HP-1's too. Had them till about 1995 when my 5 year old stepped on them and broke them. I hope he's doing well with the Gypsy family I shipped him off to.

John Buchanan, roho, RogerB and 2 others like this.
  3. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I had those, too! The price seemed astronomical to me. And YES. They hurt after a while. :laugh:

patrickd likes this.
  4. Sky Dawg

Sky Dawg Forum Resident

The AAA's are lighter and more a bit more comfortable. The highs are more balanced on them as well. Both have excellent bottom end and pretty much eliminate outside noise. They are heavier cans and I could never wear them for multiple hours, but then again, its just a matter of time until any headphone,
    including inner ears will become uncomfortable. I've replaced the gel-filled ear cushions over the years and both pairs are still good to go.

gregorya and rockclassics like this.
  5. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

What do you think about these? Are they worth the big price? I am thinking about getting them!

6. Mike31853

Mike31853 Active Member

Not much into headphones. Only got them because the wife didn't want to hear my music all the time ;)
    But my first high-end(for me) are the Grados Prestige SR325 that I got last year....from the wife for Xmas.

Penny24 likes this.
  7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I love the Denon neutral sound! Especially after taking full control away from Fostex.

slovell likes this.
  8. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Likewise. IMHO they're the best closed backs for the price point hands down. Now if I could only figure out a way to afford the AH-D9200. :evil:

Slippers-on likes this.
  9. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I love mine and they're worth every penny. I found mine used and in like new condition on EBay for $625 shipped. Great bass, mids, and highs with a deep soundstage. Go for it!

10. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

The only expensive headphones I have ever owned are the Grado SR325is. They still perform wonderfully and I see no need to look further.

11. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

My first "audiophile" headphones were a at-the-time new technology pair of Wharfedale 1D1 Orthodynamic headphones. Ugly, clumsy, and they needed regular loudspeaker power, but for their time they sounded wonderful. I still have them, along with Stax and Sennheiser headphones I have picked up along the way. I currently use HD-650s most of the time when not using regular speakers.

12. Big T

Big T Forum Resident

Say Hey timind,

Yes, I have a weakness for these too. You inspired me to pull these out and have a listen tonight. Thanks! Sennheiser HD-420.

[​IMG]

Ilusndweller likes this.
  13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I bought a pair of Koss HV-1 phones in the 70's

[​IMG]
    Followed by the Koss Pro4AAA

[​IMG]

I have replaced the pads on both over the years and still have them both... still working just fine...

These days, I use various Grado phones, which bear a striking resemblance to my original Koss HV-1 phones... ;)

rodentdog likes this.
  14. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

HiFi Man HE400. Still have them. I was late to the high end headphone party :). They still sound awesome ! :)

15. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tbh, i was hoping to see some late bloomers in this thread. A few of these headphones are discontinued Lol

gregorya and MikeJedi like this.
  16. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

I’m a headphone guy, but I won’t pay silly money for them. My favorite open-backs are the Sennheiser HD660s. If I need to use closed backs, I use the Sony MDR-1am2. And for in ears I love my Etymotic ER4-P2, made in Wisconsin!

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My first high-end headphone was a Sennheiser HD580 a bit over 20 years ago. The HD580 sill can hang with the high-end headphones of today when paired with a good tube amp.

Unfortunately for me I didn't discover good headphone amps for another 10 or 15 years. I never knew what the HD580 were capable of when I bought them and still didn't know for over 10 years after owning them. It wasn't until around 2008 that I went to my first head-fi headphone meet and heard what the Senn 580 could sound like from a really good tube amp. Wow! Unfortunately my reaction to that was that an amp like that costs about $3000 too much. I was convinced I could achieve a similar wonderful sound for $500 or less. So I churned through several sub $500 amps in pursuit of that futile dream that lower cost amps could do. Wasting money in the process that could have been better spent on just buying a big-boy amp in the first place. It took me until 2014 to realize the futility and buy a big-boy amp (a used Cavalli Liquid Fire). Still only a hybrid. So I'm still only half-way there to tube nirvana. I do plan to buy a pure tube amp eventually to pair with my hybrids.

The problem with high-end headphones is that there is no end-game headphone. You'd think that by spending $1800+ on a headphone you'd be able to get something with no compromises and be end-game. That is not the case. The $1800+ headphone game is much the same as the sub $500 headphone game. Just with more money on the line if you make a mistake. The $1800+ headphone game is the same as the sub $500 headphone game. There is no best $1800+ headphone or end-game $1800+ headphone. All have faults that lead you to wanting/needing another $1800+ headphone to pair with it to compensate for those faults. Much like playing the sub $500 game where you end up with 2 or 3 sub $500 headphones that each compensate for the faults of the others. The high-end headphone game is no different. You're just playing with headphones that cost $1800+.

I'm on the hunt for a $1800+ headphone that gets me to want just that one headphone at that price level. It's like looking for a unicorn.

18. Big T

Big T Forum Resident

Hey there Penny24,

You crack me up. If you want a current, audiophile headphone to get started, grab a Sennheiser HD-600, 6XX, 650 and you will thank me later.

After that you can branch out in many directions and they are all good.

Big T

Penny24 likes this.
  19. concorde01

concorde01 Active Member

My first truly high-end headphone was/is the Fostex TH900 mk2.

No I don't believe in there being one ultimate headphone for someone: diversity is wonderful.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    BayouTiger likes this.
  20. stratmel

stratmel Forum Resident

Stax SRD-7 / SR-X. Only ones I've ever owned. Still use them daily.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  21. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

My first “real” pair of headphones were the Beyerdynamic DT 880’s. The 300 ohm version.

I didn’t have a proper headphone amp when I purchased them, it was only after using a Headamp Gilmore V2-SE that I heard what those cans could sound like.
    That was my headphone Gateway drug.

rodentdog likes this.
  22. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Koss Pro4AA-->HD430-->HD580-->Headphile K-340-->Team Grado. @Tyler ...I have a modded V2-SE in my second system. Great amp!!

23. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro. Don’t know if they classify as high end but they sound pretty good.

24. Big T

Big T Forum Resident

Say Hey Tyler,

Wish I was in Hawaii this morning and telling you this personally on the beach. However, since that isn't happening until my vaccine arrives, please know that I agree with you!

The DT-880/250 with the Bottlehead Crack/Speedball is something special. Every record spinning is a memorable experience! I use a Schitt Mani phono preamp to dig out the sound in the grooves. Along with the Shure V15 Type IV it will grab your attention, to say the least!

Mahalo.

Big T

Tyler likes this.
  25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

At that price, at least be sure to get a stereocorn... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.