What's a good mid level Led Zeppelin II pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gibsonfan159, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gibsonfan159

gibsonfan159 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen a lot of threads about the best pressings, but I'm not going for an RL pressing, nor do I want a crappy one. What's a good pressing to look for in the $30 value range? I've heard the early remasters with the gold label had tracking issues?

2. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The George Piros version is probably your best bet. It can be had for less than $30 most of the time. There are also a few UK Plums on Discogs right now running between $35-50 once you factor in shipping.

Aftermath, kozy814, canonlon and 2 others like this.
  3. gibsonfan159

I've heard the 1977 reissues aren't great. Should I avoid those?

4. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The reissued remasterd vinyl will be under $30.00. I don't have one myself, but I have a 1977 pressing that sounds outstanding. Finding one in decent shape may be a challenge though.

telepicker97 likes this.
  5. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Ther is a first release German where side one is RL
    Sometimes resonable prices

6. gibsonfan159

I found one but side two is the RL side and it's not SS. I'll give it a try.

audiotom likes this.
  7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The Piros cut.

rockclassics, Dr. Funk and TLMusic like this.
  8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It's never cool to say... but unless I find an RL hiding somewhere some day... I'm perfectly content with the recent remaster.

9. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I have three copies. An early SD-8236 (post RL), an MFSL copy and a 2014 Remaster. The worst sounding one is the early SD-8236 (post RL). According to RL, it was cut from a cassette dub! This is what RL had to say about the SD-8236 that came out immediately after his version was pulled:

“Instead of calling us at Sterling and asking us to lower the level a little and telling us where it skipped, they had the disk cutters at Atlantic use my EQ'd cassette file copy and they cut it WAY lower than my original cut plus, in my opinion, it sounded dull and generally not very good sounding in comparison.” RL

For less than $30, I would go with the 2014 Remaster. Sounds good, not as good as my MFSL, but still enjoyable. And, it’s currently only $23 on Amazon.

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

That one was bad. I bought a sealed copy (I didn't pay that much) thinking it might be an RL and it wasn't. Never been so bummed. Sounded lame.

wwright, snkcube, BDC and 2 others like this.
  11. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Agreed that the version with "at/gp" in the deadwax both sides is a great affordable version. Especially if you can find a Monarch pressing (MO on the label), it will have a lot of the thunderous characteristics of the RL.

Regarding UK Plum labels, I have never seen a good one for $35-50. I would expect poor condition in that price range, as the nice ones go for $200-400.

ODShowtime, Dr. Funk and Spitfire like this.
  12. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

The Dennis King cut from the early 80s is good. Just scored an RL and will be playing that one tonight so it will be interesting to hear how they compare.

13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I will also endorse the Dennis King cut, but I’ve never heard the RL.

14. gibsonfan159

What release year? And you are talking about a remaster and not just a "repress", right?

15. BIGGER Dave

For the weak sounding SD-8236 pressing (immediately post RL), I’m referring to this:

* ST-A-691671-M P LW AT PR W
    * ST-A-691672-N P LW AT PR W

SD8236
    1841 Broadway, New York, NY
    ST-A-691671PR
    ST-A-691672PR

For the MFSL, I’m referring to this:

* ORTOFON MFSL-1-065 A3 H 1 3 1 V A R C
    * ORTOFON MFSL-1-065 B2 H 1 2 1
    (There is a small handwritten SR above the A3 on Side 1 and above the B2 on Side 2)

And for the 2014 Jimmy Page 180 gram Remaster (RI 535225), I’m referring to this:

* RI-535225 A1 JD -27806- P.USA
    * RI-535225 B1 JD -27806- P.USA

Aftermath likes this.
  16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I've got a Classic Records copy. Not sure where that falls in the spectrum nor do I know how much they cost now. It was reasonable when new.

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I will echo and add to what has already been said about the 1977 George Piros cut (SD 19127). I would say it is much more than a good mid level pressing, but rather a high level pressing. I refer to the Piros as RL's little brother, because it has some of the same characteristics as the coveted RL......great dynamics and wall shaking bass. I've owned several of these pressings over the years, and currently own two (one pressed at AR and the other at Monarch). I don't think I've paid more than $20 for these pressings. I own around 15 vinyl pressings of LZ II, and I would put my Monarch Piros just behind my RL.

18. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

19. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Yep. The George Piros mastering is quite good in its own right, and to my ears it only comes up short (when compared to the RL) during the song, Whole Lotta' Love. (I can hear where George road the gain during the big climax to prevent the grooves from being overloaded.) Otherwise, it's fine.

McLover and Dr. Funk like this.
  20. I've not heard an RL of LZII, but I do have a Canadian Atlantic Red, which sounds terrific to these ears. I like LZ as much as the next guy, but I'm not a superfan so searching out an RL is not in my future.

21. BIGGER Dave

I think we’ve got offtrack here. The OP asked for suggestions around $30 and I see comments regarding RL, Classic, UK Plum, etc. None of these can be easily found for $30 (except if it’s trashed). I stand by my suggestion for the 2014 180 gram Jimmy Page Remaster (R1-535225), which sounds better than some early pressings. Easily available brand new, no scratches, for about $23.

armin, krisjay, spindly and 15 others like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

What Dave said. Get the 2014 reissue and call it a day.

23. gibsonfan159

Looks like I may have to. All of the old pressings on eBay that are in good shape are jumping above $30. I imagine all the new releases being hyped by Page is getting people interested again.

24. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

The Piros is very close to the RL, in my opinion, but what do I know?

Dan

AntLantic, wwright, DPM and 1 other person like this.
  25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

You know a lot.

Aftermath, nosticker and DPM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.