What's a record that you know exists but you've never been able to find?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Crowley, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vivalapsych

vivalapsych Forum Resident

The Shining Soundtrack LP. I know I could buy one on Discogs for $80 or so but I want to run across a cheap one. I just know there's a copy just sitting there under appreciated in some budget bin somewhere!

Mt.Elga and lightbulb like this.
  2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The CD for Marti Jones's UNSOPHISTICATED TIME. Both the original issue and the privately pressed [sic?] reissue.

Telegram Sam likes this.
  3. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

Likewise...… the UK mono version of Bookends is a fold-down, so the chances of me coming across a genuine mono copy over here at a record fair or charity store are virtually nil. Still I have various S&G singles in mono, and also now mono copies of the first three albums, so this has to become my top priority.

DBMartin likes this.
  4. All Lights F****d On the Hairy Amp Drooling, the cassette-only debut by Godspeed You Black Emperor. "Released" in 1994 in a tiny edition of 33 copies, this has incredibly never been offered for sale online or circulated. A copy was apparently found in Halifax a few years ago, but the apparent owner did a quick fade after whipping up some excitement among fans on Reddit.

c-eling and Fullbug like this.
  5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

6. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Fables from a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True by Fair to Midland. Brilliant prog metal album. Only 200 vinyl copies pressed. It's on my Discogs want list. Two copies have come up for sale and the were gone even as I opened the email alert.

7. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

"Misterious skin" and "white bird in a Blizzard" by Robin Guthrie and Harold Budd.
    Well, i can find them (on the web) but the prices are outrageous for my pocket.
    When a reedition? Pleeeeeease.

Telegram Sam likes this.
  8. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

A cd i want but cannot find is 'Is it safe?' by phd.

9. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

I have that UK fold-down, not a great sound, but still fun to have as an odd slice of history. I do love my UK mono 3AM and Parsley records, but I've strangly never seen a UK mono of Silence...

Regandron likes this.
  10. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Yeah. I've seen that one a few times, and almost pulled the trigger. But I don't love that one. I like it. I think it's a good album. But it's just not a great one, IMO. If I saw it for a decent price in the wild, though, I'd probably do it. But Midnite Vultures is still the Holy Grail for me.

11. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I'm a hard core Beatles LP collector. Here are a few commercially-released LPs (i.e., no promos or one-offs) that are confirmed but I have never seen offered for sale.

US, Beatles VI, green label record club version
    Ecuador, Rubber Soul
    Norway, A Hard Days Night
    Nigeria, Abbey Road

OldMusicOnVinyl1 likes this.
  12. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Australian mono copies of the White Album surface occasionally. A nice one sold a few weeks ago on ebay. They're certainly not falling from the sky though.

Mylene and Selteab like this.
  13. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Most anything can be found online at some point. In the wild is another story. An original copy of Emily-Emily in the wild is my white whale, almost nill it will ever happen..

14. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam Forum Lurker

I got so tired of waiting for this cd I stopped putting off buying a turntable-----so glad I kept the vinyl!!

15. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam Forum Lurker

Both wonderful records-----went OOP so quickly because they're movie soundtracks??

16. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I may be mistaken or not understand what you’re looking for but I just looked and there’s a lot of different masterings and formats available at Discogs at relatively cheap (I don’t count anyone’s dough) prices.

17. fenderesq

Sealed huh... you’ve still got a couple of days to email the big guy wherever he’s hanging out until blast off. The North Pole; South Beach? Ruby’s Bar on the Coney Island Boardwalk?

fluffskul likes this.
  18. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

The version of “Runaway” that Del Shannon recorded for the TV series Crime Story. The sound is updated and the lyrics were changed to reflect the dark noir tone of the series.

stetsonic and Jimmy B. like this.
  19. fenderesq

Blow his mind and send it to him for Christmas.

izgoblin likes this.
  20. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

21. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I inherited one from my old man... it's in rough shape... but i keep it anyway.

DBMartin likes this.
  22. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Is one I don't even know the name of,
    nor the artist, nor the name of
    any song on it .. but it is out there,
    (I am hoping optimistically)
    and if so I'll find it, or a needledrop
    CD, one day !

It may well have been a private-pressing
    vinyl record or even an acetate, and I guess it was likely recorded sometime
    between 1966 and '71 or '72 because I first heard it played as a lightly scratchy disc around '73 or '74 and it sounded like it was waxed during the peak of the garage-punk era which began to wind down and make way for psychedelia and psych-punk in about late-'66 to '67. There were some "hold-outs" ~ local bands that strove to keep the mid-60s punk aesthetic alive even after its heyday was finished, into the early 70s while period recording equipment and instruments were still in working order and some smaller local studios still in operation. So it could be one of those kind of artifacts.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    drift likes this.
  24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Here you go:
    Del Shannon - A Complete Career Anthology 1961-1990

GerryO and bloodlemons like this.
  25. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I dont know. I think Blizzard was a limited edition from the start. I never saw that one cheap, maybe it was when was out.
    Misterious skin had the prices up very quickly, because i think i remember prices being normal and me (stupid me) not buying it thinking i could buy it later. Then out of the blue the prices were horrendous.
    This is common on classical music boxes. One day costs 15, the next day 150. Petroleum is cheapper than some records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.