What's a sealed copy of The Freewheelin Bob Dylan worth ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Harry Mangurian, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry Mangurian

Harry Mangurian Member Thread Starter

USA, Stereo. Not the one with the withdrawn tracks. I haven't found one for sale (or even sold) yet.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nowhere close to enough info given to answer.

giantleech likes this.
  3. Harry Mangurian

4. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

How do you know this sealed LP has those labels?

Muzyck likes this.
  5. Harry Mangurian

Is that a rhetorical question ?

6. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

No, not rhetorical. (Most assumptions about sealed LPs, including whether they're REsealed, are a fool's errand.)

That LP, original issue, was probably never sealed; instead, it would have come in a cover with a round-bottomed, poly-sealed bag/sleeve.

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  7. Harry Mangurian

Of all the versions at discogs, the one I listed is the only match. I could eliminate the other versions.

8. Harry Mangurian

I know the provenance of the album and it is not resealed. It has been in my family the whole time. So not resealed. I hope someone with real info and expertise can answer my question based on the assumption that everything is legit. No "non-answers" please.

9. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Hard to imagine. How many other versions does Discogs show . . . 75?

10. Harry Mangurian

Imagine. Work at it.

11. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

OK, I was trying to help.

You seem to be new at this.

Forget it, pal.

giantleech, krisjay, BluTorch and 4 others like this.
  12. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

That's the problem here, he wants it to be the one he linked to but it can be many different copies. Without it being opened there is no way of getting a specific ID with only going by the cover. The cover can only give a general area of time when the record was put out in the country of origin.

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Ask your family when they bought it. You can't know which exact pressing it is until you open it. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Since you don't seem to know much, it may be a hard sell. I'd put it on Ebay, start an auction at $50 and see how it flies. That's if you wanted money. If you just want to know how much, you will either have to open it, look at the matrix, see how the condition is (there's a good chance the poly bagging around the album could have ruined the album with 'bag rash') OR choose to think it's the listing you provided and go with the highest amount paid. If you try to sell it, someone may open it and find out it's a later press or whatever. There are lots of variables with sealed popular albums.

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Every still sealed Columbia LP I've ever bought (dozens) that were pressed prior to 1968 came like that. Open cover, record itself sealed in a round-bottomed sealed bag with a perforation on the straight-edged side to open.

chazz101s likes this.
  15. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I've gotten some Raiders and Buckinghams albums that way so certainly you are correct. Pending on storage, I can only imagine a sealed album's contents may be ruined by that practice. A couple I opened, the sleeve had dissolved into the album. One of them, it cleaned right off. Another one I recall it left a lot of streaks but didn't affect the playback.

16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

To many questions unanswered for this one. As was said earlier, tuff to say. This is not an album I'd buy sealed or pay a premium for sealed. Maybe others would feel differently. The 50 bucks at auction sounds not unreasonable. I'd want to see the lables and matrix personally on this one.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You're asking for help and being a dick?

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.