What's so great about Charlie Watts, after all?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Feb 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

he's a good jazz drummer....saw his big band years ago..not much of a challenge in the Stones really...

dkmonroe and somnar like this.
  2. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Well said.

If you listen carefully to Charlie, there are subtleties within his performances which really serve the song. Fabulous musician, IMHO.

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can't, certainly not any of the ones you mention even though they are all fantastic, except Chad Smith who I've never liked the sound of.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Good one! :)

acetboy and Man at C&A like this.
  5. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Damn good book:
    [​IMG]

Totti is god and Rockford & Roll like this.
  6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

When I saw them live circa 1981, it was refreshing to see Charlie playing such a small kit, considering that the two horrid opening acts had huge drum sets, including, IIRC, four kick drums for one of the bands.

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Hal Blaine, maybe, but the rest of those guys? No way.

Saying the Rolling Stones would somehow sound better without Charlie Watts is like saying fried chicken would somehow taste better if it wasn't fried.

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

what's so great about sunsets? or puppies? or true love? all overrated imho.

9. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Just listen to the song "Bitch" and that will inform you on how great Watts is.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just listen to Brussels Affair, Ladies & Gentlemen or Live In Texas 78 to hear him at his best

11. Dr.Robert

Dr.Robert Forum Resident

I've the same name as the thread starter but couldn't agree less. Best four on the floor guy ever. I adore the drumming on that golden period - Paint It, Black, Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud. Just great. And then the bluesy stuff where he's just holding it together.

My top drummer.

12. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

charlie is a stylist and as such you did his style or you don't. he has some of the greatest intro's in rock history see "sway".
    i have never felt the stones were all that live after the mid 70's. and granted this is just from listening and watching videos as i have never seem them live. they are were an old school british blues band with shamblistic (sp?) tendencies.
    charlies playing on those 60's singles and sticky fingers amongst others is unimpeachable.

13. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I feel like the drumming in Satisfaction is perfect. I have never once thought about it not being right. IMHO obviously.

14. to elaborate, nope.

15. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Charlie is unique and sounds like himself. Nobody else really does what he does in the same way. That signature Stones groove is the Charlie groove.

16. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

what hype?
    name a drummer that you believe would be a better fit for the Stones ...

omikron and Shawn like this.
  17. LeifFan

LeifFan Forum Resident

The hype in the OPs head. I have never in my life heard anyone hype Charlie.

omikron likes this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I've never thought of Charlie as a great drummer, but he's a good drummer, and a perfect fit in the Rolling Stones. Is he near the top of the list of best rock drummers? Nah, but he doesn't need to be. And hey, the drum fill in the middle of Paint It Black is still one of the most worthy air-drum moments ever, and as a professional air-drummer, I have to give him mad props for that. :cool:

19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Pretty soon it will be said.
    He wasn’t even the best drummer in the Stones....

20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

You have named many technically great drummers but not one of them would have made the Stones a better band.

Totti is god, omikron, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  21. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Charlie was cool from day one.
    [​IMG]

22. procco23

procco23 Forum Resident

I had always respected Charlie as a solid drummer who fit the Stones perfectly (much like Ringo with the Beatles) but didn't catch/notice his groove ability until I heard Hot Stuff on Black and Blue. That snare sound on that album is probably my favorite out of all Stones records.

squittolo, omikron, J Alesait and 5 others like this.
  23. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I’m a big Charlie fan and already made my post defending him. But I do wonder if there was an early period where he needed to “catch up” a bit, maybe when Jagger and Richards started writing pop songs. Charlie does sound like he struggles on I’m Free, for one. But obviously he found the groove soon enough.

J Alesait likes this.
  24. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

now that's funny!

man in the moon likes this.
  25. Charlie is The Stones, as much as Mick or Keith. I can't believe he even needs to be defended, the groove he's laid down in thousands of performances is testament to how perfect he is for this band.

It's the drum nerd in me talking here but I also love how he uses a traditional grip which is pretty rare in rock music these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.